Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 mag ammo Login/Join 

posted
I was wondering what you guys have had good luck with in 22 mag ammo! I was given a 22 mag Marlin bolt action and am wanting to do some shooting with it. Not looking for any unbelievable groups an inch at 100 yards off of a bench and sand bags is good enough for me. I've bought several diff kinds but was wondering what results you guys are getting. To name one has anyone used any of the armscore 22 mag ammo? It's priced fair and I am going to try it and see what happens!
Thank you in advance!

Posts: 304 | Location: Indiana | Registered: October 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I've read a few things that say the armscorp ammo is quite accurate. Although, I'm curious about it's lethality. I recently picked up a CMR30 for shorter range varminting and small game hunting (150 yards and in) and will be doing some accuracy testing myself. I've got most of the commonly found 22 mag ammos that I'll be trying but leaning toward the 40 grain weights as this rig will be also used for coyote.

Keep us in the loop on your testing and I'll do the same once I hit the range.

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18875 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FyrepowrX
posted Hide Post
I hunt with .22mags quite a bit, after our favorite squirrel hunting place got over-run by feral hogs.

If i had to pick a single "most likely to succeed in multiple guns" .22mag ammo, it'd probably be Winchester 40gr JHp's, in the silver box. Also, i have shot the Hornady 45gr Critical Defense, and the CCI Gold Dot 40gr H-P's in quite a few rifles & have hunted with those loads a good bit, and they have worked well.

That being said, the Armscor 22mags shot decently in several of my .22mags.

If you want pure splatter factor, loads such as the Winchester Black Box Supreme, the CCi Maxi-Mag +V. or the 30gr Tipped loads (V-Max, etc) are great for carnage, but they wreck any edibles, and they penetrate poorly on hogs, or with angled shots on coyotes. If you squirrel hunt with 'em, better stick to head shots.

On the other end, stuff like the Rem PSp's, or CCI Gampoints, will shoot clear through hogs & coyotes, but they dont wreck squirrels too bad on body shots.

=================================

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
Groucho Marx

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”
Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Posts: 7213 | Location: North-Eastern Oklahoma | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FyrepowrX
posted Hide Post
just saw Midway has the 40gr Gold Dots on clearance...

ignore the velocities reported on these, the speed shown is out of a pistol barrel ; rifles speeds are about 1850-1900fps.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...0-grain-hollow-point

=================================

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
Groucho Marx

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”
Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Posts: 7213 | Location: North-Eastern Oklahoma | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I like the CCI 40 grainers, they work well out of my PMR30 and my CMR30

Posts: 2141 | Location: THE PROMISED LAND! South Carolina | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post