Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Built a pig smacker.... Login/Join 

Picture of FyrepowrX
posted
with hog activity dramatically increasing in the last year, decided i'd try a summer project which has came together nicely so far.

Mad Dog Weapon Systems are the folks that originated the .277wolverine, which got SAAMI approved, and starline is offering brass...i wanted an ar-15 in something other than .223, so i looked up info, and appears to offer more punch than the .300blackout (which i do shoot, and like)....a couple of months back, they posted a 25% off coupon on their facebook page, and i grabbed an 18" lightweight contour stainless AR15 barrel, with 5R 1-11" twist. When it arrived, i had planned to go order some Starline brass; turns out they had brass also, and their coupon worked for dies, brass, etc, so it was cheaper to order from them.

All arrived quickly, along with Hornady Dies. My son likes tinkering with AR15's, so we pieced it all together. Buddy of mine gave me the handguard which had alreday been cerakoted in Tungsten Cerakote...i like the color, and plan on having the rest of it done to match.

I went with a Minimalist style lightweight stock, slim contour handguard, skeleton grip, and found the 6 screw tactical rings were a good bit lighter than most 1 pc mounts... was trying for light & fast pointing. Added an oversize trigger guard for shooting with gloves in the winter.

With the 2x7 Leupold Ultimate Slam, it is 6lbs, 12oz as pictured.

The .277 wolverine is like a super-blackout......cases are longer than the .300blackout, but still shorter than .223...with the coupon, i think brass was at about $20 a hundred for Starline, so was nice not having to make cases. Uses standard .223 bolt carrier group, standard 5.56mags.

Load data for lightweight bullets like 85/90/100gr showed best results with the usual .300blackout powders like AA1680, etc...speeds with 90's are supposed to hit up 2600-fps, or thereabouts...i had a bunch of bonded 90gr bullets i got for my 6.8spc, so was set for bullets. Trajectories are a good bit flatter than the .300blackout, but recoil is about the same.

fired around 50 rounds so far for function, but no accuracy testing, was slinging them as fast as i could get on target to test function....cycled perfectly.
will post accuracy tests on the next outing.

priming up .277Wlv cases:

=================================

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
Groucho Marx

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”
Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Posts: 7213 | Location: North-Eastern Oklahoma | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Nice! I talked to a guy about this cartridge several years ago. He uses it in north central pa for deer hunting out of a troy par. Sez it's a hammer.

For a lighter weight mount for an AR15 (or similar), that's the proper height, , check out Aero Precision's "ultra light" mount. It weighs 3oz and is super tough. I have several, even one on my 458 SOCOM ar with a Leupold short tube 1.75-6, they work fantastic!

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/scope-mounts.html

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18878 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I need a way to block your posts. Didn't even know I needed this until tonight. laugh

====================

"Preach the Gospel. Even use words if you have to."

Posts: 1896 | Location: SW MO | Registered: November 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Nice! Not a caliber I've heard of, would love more info as you get it.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2360 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FyrepowrX
posted Hide Post
for those interested in this caliber, there is an online upload with assorted .277WLVRN data compiled from various folks, with barrels from pistol length all the way up to longer rifle barrels...all sorts of powders, bullets, weights, etc.

.277 Wolverine Data

on average, top loads with 85/90/100 grain bullets produces about 40% more energy than the .223. i got some Shooter World Blackout powder to try, as some folks had reported peppy speeds with it, with good accuracy.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
Groucho Marx

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Posts: 7213 | Location: North-Eastern Oklahoma | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
G, you might also take a look at some Power Pro 300MP. It's a bit slower than H110 and they show it in the Blackout. I've tried some in the 410 and it seems to give higher vel with less psi and is actually cleaner than 296. Also showing promise in the 327 FM.

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4566 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FyrepowrX
posted Hide Post
Ryan...thanks for the reminder, i had forgot about 300MP, buddy of mine has been using it in his .300AAC bolt gun with great success. thumbup

Groucho Marx

Picture of Bobcat
posted Hide Post
Just saw this post, nice looking rifle. I'm currently collecting parts for a .277 Wolverine of my own!

I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity.
General Robert E. Lee

Posts: 1738 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: March 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post