Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 HMR accuracy Login/Join 

posted
Good day
Just wondering if any of you have a .17 HMR and if so what kind of accuracy are you getting?
I just picked up a Savage with thumbhole stock and went out to try it. With the Hornady 17gr I was getting about 2.5" at 100 yds. With the 20gr I shrunk that to about 1.25. Just wondering if that was normal for 100 yds with this caliber or what everyone else was getting.
Thanks for now.
Mike

------------------------------
Enjoy your family and friends today as they may not be here tomorow.

Posts: 478 | Location: Manitoba | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Gator T/C
posted Hide Post
Average 3/4" or less at 100 yards with my Contender. It started as a 23" rifle barrel that I cut down to 14" for use as a pistol. When all is going well it averages 1/4" at fifty yards. I do have to remove the copper after about 200-250 rounds. For my particular barrel it shoots best with the Federal Premium 17g vmax....

Brad

Contender 22LR, 17MachII, 17HMR, 22K–Hornet (SSK), .223(SSK), 6mm Gator, 6TCU, 6mmJDJ(Van Horn), 25x47(Coyote), 6.5 JDJ(SSK), 308 Bellm, .357Max, 358 Bellm, 375Win, 375 JDJ(SSK), 45/70(SSK), 45/70 (VanHorn), 50-70(SSK)
Encore .223, 6mmBR(MGM), .243, 7mm–08, 300WM(15-1/4"), 50-90(MGM, 14"), 50–110 (MGM), .50ML(16")
XP-100 .223, .223AI, 6mm204Imp, .243AI, 6BR, 270AI, 510 Whisper

Posts: 1064 | Location: Gainesville, Fl | Registered: January 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The first time I let my dad shoot my 93R17 he was complaining about the accuracy, he said that the first shot went dead center but he couldn't see any other holes in the target, that is when he realized that the hole was 22 cal and he was shooting a 17.

Mine loved everything I gave it and never had larger then .60 group at 100 yards, that is till the wind picked up, then if I didn't do my part the groups were all over the place

Posts: 1150 | Location: California | Registered: November 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of varmint exterminator
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 452 varmint and it will shoot under half inch all day long. One of my favorite guns.6 oz trigger, 6.5x24 Burris scope.

Thank-You Jesus for being there for me and my family in times of need.

Posts: 847 | Location: Hill country TEXAS. | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
i would love to try one, dang put it on the list..... Big Grin

flag

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS

Posts: 1581 | Location: windber, pa | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
have a 14" contender and a Savage 93 bolt gun. I can shoot acorns at 100 yards with either one IF certain brands/weights of ammo are used. My buddy and I tried many brands before we found the correct one. Some of Winchester's ammo shoots very well some doesn't. I shot a groundhog at 150 lasered yards thru the head with the 14" and many others at shorter ranges. I did have trouble anchoring a few with body shots before we found the Winchesters and went for head shots!

Posts: 3978 | Location: home | Registered: November 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hmm. Back to the drawing board. I m gonna put a different scope on ghough. Thd one I had is screwed. It wouldn t track at all so I m hoping that s the problem.

Enjoy your family and friends today as they may not be here tomorow.

Posts: 478 | Location: Manitoba | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ive got a ruger 77/22 that the boy i bought it from had put a green mtn stainless fluted 17hmr barrel on.one day at With the 20 grain cci fmj it will produce a 1/4 inch 5 shot group at 50 yrds. The 20 grain cci hollow points open up to a 1/2 inch group but they are my bullet of choice. This gun is wicked. I head shot a tree rat with it one day at 75 yards( my hunting buddy still talks about that shot.) Other impressive feats this gun has done have been a 125 yrd head shot on a groundhog and i killed a 100lb wild hog at 50 yrds with it.

Posts: 139 | Location: ga | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
Was it a new gun or used? Might need a good scrubbing if used or a little break in if new. And could be the scope as you mentioned. I don't have one yet but most people I've talked to have had pretty decent accuracy with them, even in the el-cheapo rifles.

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4565 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
This seems to be a BAD year for scopes! 3 different guys had problems with their optics a one range I frequent. No tracking, busted crosshairs and other problems seem to be the norm. Ones guy's IN THE BOX new Burris rifle scope was damaged on delivery!!

Posts: 3978 | Location: home | Registered: November 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a Savage left hand bolt gun. Shoots the 17gr Hornady stuff into less than 1/2" at 100 yards. I put a Cabela's scope on it that is calibrated for the 17HMR and it works very well.
Some brands of ammo don't shoot very well. Thought the Eley would be good stuff but was the worst in my gun.

Posts: 1079 | Location: Phoenix, Az | Registered: May 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I customized two Savage 17 HMRs for my boys, and both of them are lasers, accuracy is amazing. I liked the round so much I'm waiting on a Volquartsen match barrel in 17 HMR for my Ruger 77/22 mag.

Ed

Posts: 435 | Location: Key Colony Beach, FL Keys | Registered: January 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Matt-J2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by varmint exterminator:
I have a CZ 452 varmint and it will shoot under half inch all day long. One of my favorite guns.6 oz trigger, 6.5x24 Burris scope.

I have one of these as well and it's a bit like a laser. At the range I shoot small sticker targets at 50 and 100yds or small bits of debris on the ground/berm. On the farm I pop the heads of ground squirrels as they peek out of their holes.
I don't shoot it a lot, which for me usually means I sell it, but the CZ is just such a nicely built rifle that I'm keeping it. No knocking the Savages and Marlins out there, they're usually just as accurate(sometimes more), but they feel like rimfire rifles. The build and feel of the CZ is just a smaller 'real' rifle.

Posts: 265 | Location: Appleton, WI | Registered: October 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
1st 17HMR was an H&R Single Shot HB that I put a budget 3x9 scope on. Zeroed with 17gr ammo. Not blown away by grouping but the unluckiest feral Tomcat in the world was when he was spotted creeping thru my back pasture at about 90 yds! 17 HMR was impressive! First rabbit was a head shot-headless! Groups however were mediocre. Next was a Savage M93 HB Thumb hole stock. Groups were under an inch, even less with 20gr. HP bullets. Go to bullet now for 17HMR. Have mag issues with the Savage though, mag will not lock up tight into action. 1st and 2nd rounds from 5 rd mag will jam on feed ramp. 3-5 will feed fine. Press mag up into well all five will feed.. Savage sent new mag, rd mag from LGS-same issues. Keeping the Savage though-shoots too good to sell!

Posts: 19 | Location: SE USA | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post