Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you shooting out of your AR? Login/Join 

Picture of Lone Hunter
posted
What ammo or bullets are you shooting out of your .556 AR?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities. - Prentice Ritter, Broken Trail 2006

Posts: 3520 | Location: Smithfield,NC | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
How you doing Jeff? haven't seen you around much.

I can't answer your question, I'm shooting a 300 Blackout in mine, may get 223/5.56 upper sometime but its not in the works now, my son has one and I don't know what he's shooting in his.

Albert
------------------------------
Life Member NRA

Posts: 10173 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Lone Hunter
posted Hide Post
Doing Good Al. I hope you are doing the same.

I have not been able to shoot much the last few years.

Hopefully that will change.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities. - Prentice Ritter, Broken Trail 2006

Posts: 3520 | Location: Smithfield,NC | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
In 5.56 I've always shot 55fmj(typically a Winchester or IMI) over 26.0 gains of Winchester 748 in LC brass lit by a WSR primer. This load has shoot some amazing groups for me in the past to just average depending on the rifle. A side note, I size brass to my rifles chamber.

Did you build a rifle or a pistol?

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18875 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My AR is a Rock River Arms with a 1-8" twist. The load I settled on used a 69 grain Nosler Custom Competition bullet with Varget powder. It will deliver sub MOA accuracy when I do my part.

Charlie......HS40
NRA Range Safety Officer
Match Director
Ascension Silhouette - Saline Creel Silhouette - Top Shot Silhouette
Aim small, Miss small

Posts: 1875 | Location: south louisiana | Registered: July 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Lone Hunter
posted Hide Post
I bought a PSA 16" upper to go on it.

I have not shot it yet.

All the brass I have is 223.

How much difference is there between the .556 and the 223 cases as far as loading them?

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
Jeff talked to my son, he says he is shooting Federal with 55 grains, he purchased 2K rounds of it a couple years ago.

Albert
Life Member NRA

Posts: 10173 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TScottW55
posted Hide Post
55 grain FMJ or Nosler BT for varmint work. Have had great luck with Tac powder in my heavy barrel 5.56

----------------------------------
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

- Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 186 | Location: Roanoke, VA | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of XP Fuzz
posted Hide Post
My RRA with 55 gr nosler bt and ARCOMP powder gives me under 3/4 moa at 300 yds

The Wind is your Friend,,,RIGHT...
Cayle

Posts: 4099 | Location: USA-CommyCountry,, IL | Registered: January 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Hunter:
I bought a PSA 16" upper to go on it.

I have not shot it yet.

All the brass I have is 223.

How much difference is there between the .556 and the 223 cases as far as loading them?

Depending on brand, I measured about .5 -.7g difference between WW,Rem,Fed and Military brass. ie, LC, IMI ect with the mil being of course lesser capacity. Only other things are the crimped in primers and possibly a knurled edge on the mouths where they crimped them that can badly scratch bullets when seating them. Either trimming or a quick twist with the chamfer tool takes care of it. On the primer pockets you can either get a swager or try your case mouth chamfer tool. Sometimes the chamfer tool is all that's needed to remove the crimp ring so you can seat a primer.

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4565 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post