Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

big bobcat & the bullet that killed him Login/Join 

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

For a few months now, my 20" heavy-barreled .308 WCF has been unscoped, and while I don't shoot it much anymore, it was always nice to know it was available if needed. So I began watching for an appropriate scope for it and found one just before Christmas. It was a Bausch & Lomb Elite 3000 3-9x40, and the shipped price of $120 was too good to pass up.

I got it sighted in yesterday, put my shooting light atop it and was going to give it a shot at hogs if they decided to show themselves. On my first try, nothing was moving, so I took the opportunity to fine-tune the light and set the scope to 8x as it seemed I got the best combination of detail and target recognition at this magnification. Later on, I tried again and again saw no hogs, but I did pick up a single eye in the huisaches. It seemed to be a coon milling about, but I wanted to get a good look and began lip-squeaking as loud as I could to see if I could generate a response. It seemed to have no interest in my calling, but about 30 seconds later I picked up a set of eyes well behind this creature, and it was moving my way.

The gait and way the eyes reflected the light told me it was a bobcat. The eyes stopped in a grassy patch around 200 yards, but I didn't have a clear shot and also didn't have a feel for the size of the animal just yet since that was just a bit far for my scope/light combo. I did not want to take one of this year's young but was hoping for the mature male that we'd seen before.

A bit more temptation from lip-squeaking got the cat on the move again, this time going parallel to me for about 50 yards until he stopped almost in the center of the clearing I use for my target range. After hesitating a few seconds, he was on the move again and stopped at what later proved to be just over 150 yards. At this point, I knew this was a mature cat, but I also knew my shot opportunities would be restricted if I did not want to damage the pelt. The 150 grain Ballistic Tip, while loaded quite mildly, was nonetheless capable of a large exit if not properly placed.

The cat was now facing me and doing the typical raising-lowering of the head in an attempt to get a better look at the free meal ahead. In a few seconds, however, his head appeared even with the body, and I knew this was my chance for a shot. I had the rifle rested on a large shooting bag, and when I touched off a round, I was pretty certain I heard a bit of a "smack" sound -- the typical sound of bullet hitting bone on a smaller animal. Sure enough, the bullet caught the kitty a quarter-inch from the eye, tore through the bottom edges of the spinal column in the neck and ranged back through the vitals before stopping between the last rib and hip. The bullet was the classic mushroom, weighed 100.8 grains and was actually visible right away as there was a definite bump beneath the cats prime fur. The only actual damage to the pelt was collateral and caused by the roof of the mouth collapsing under impact and sending bone fragments and teeth into the lower jaw. While a bit messy and bloody, the damage to the pelt under the bottom jaw was absolutely minimal.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 3820 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
thumbup
Nice!!

SemperFi

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 675 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Great looking cat! Well done on the shot placement as well.

Posts: 506 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18875 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
Beautiful cat! Great shooting as always.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
There ya go! Proof that your rifle is dialed in.

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1374 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nice cat -- great shot! I like the stock on your rifle.

Posts: 895 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Great looking cat Bobby Congrats!!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2358 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Bobby
Congratulations on another beautiful bobcat. We'll forgive you for using a
"Bolt" gun! laugh

Posts: 1807 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Must have been a very mild load if it didn't exit .

Posts: 292 | Location: Missouri | Registered: December 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 65465 Mo:
Must have been a very mild load if it didn't exit .

---

It's a mid-range load but not what I'd call "very mild" at 2700+ fps. I've recovered several bullets from bobcats shot head-on or going away, and this is the 2nd 150 grain BT from a .308 that I have recovered from a cat.

The 100 grain BT was fired into a quartering female bobcat using a 25-35 Contender, which had a muzzle velocity of 2660 fps. The range was 270 yards.

The .308/150 BT is shown where it was recovered after penetrating most of the length of the 'cat. As you can see, it tumbled at some point as the base was protruding through the flesh.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 3820 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SE-Okla.Shooter
posted Hide Post
Well written story and great pictures. My question is what kind of light do you have to see that far. And did the cat come in with the light on him? Also what is on the back of the light?
Thanks
Guy

Service is the Rent we Pay for the Space We Occupy in this World.

Posts: 709 | Location: SE OK | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Guy-Thanks. This is the KillZone light, and what you are seeing at the rear of it is the strap that was on it when purchased. I planned to remove it but never did.

This one puts out a green-tinted light, and I kept it on the cat pretty much the entire time without spooking it. You can pick up eyes with this unit out to several hundred yards and -- depending on a few atmospheric factors -- can usually see ample detail to make a shot out to ranges approaching 200 yards. I think they claim it works to 250, but I have never broker the 200 yard barrier with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bobby Tomek,

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
this shows the light better:

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

posted Hide Post
Bobby Killzone has a lot different lights. Which one do you recommend for Hogs, cats, coyotes.
Thanks
Guy

Posts: 709 | Location: SE OK | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Mine is the KZ250 kit in green. If I could get out and hunt predators, I'd likely opt for the red. But the green does very well for my limited usage.

Here is the link with photos & descriptions.

https://www.killzoneflashlight...een-led-standard-kit

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

posted Hide Post
Thanks
Guy

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Guy-

If you want to try mine out for a couple weeks to see if you like it, I'll gladly send it to you. All it will cost you is return postage.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer Bobby I just had my 70th birthday so I ordered me one.
Guy

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Well, here's wishing you a belated birthday...and I am glad you got yourself a treat!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

posted Hide Post
Bobby I have a bad right shoulder and a 308 ! The two don't always get along! Would you share the 308/150BT load you are using ? Thanks Jim.

Posts: 3520 | Location: South Texas | Registered: January 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Jim-I am using IMR-4320, and the load is a grain or 2 below book max depending on which manual you look at. Normally, that would be too much for my shoulder, but this 20" bull-barreled rifle is in a B&C Duramaxx stock that has been weighted with lead shot, so it's more like shooting a mild .243 than a .308. It is not something I could carry around very far as it is quite heavy. But I am not mobile anyway, so that part really doesn't matter. But the bottom line is that it now is very pleasant to shoot and doesn't set off a flare-up my neuropathy or RA when I fire it.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

posted Hide Post
Thanks Bobby . I had some luck with 150BT and 47/4320 . I am going to shoot a 300 blk in the future for shooting paper. Trying to be kind to RA and bone spurs in shoulder.
BTW when you pop off one of those bone spurs, it really reminds you that you are alive !!

Posts: 3520 | Location: South Texas | Registered: January 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post