Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My latest toy Login/Join 

posted
I got infected by BRD (black rifle disease)...

Almost finished. Still have a few items left to get (gas block, gas tube, muzzle device and charging handle), plus a scope and soon to get a camo job.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1517 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
5.56? 26" barrel?

You go with billet receivers?

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18875 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
24" barrel in 6.5 Grendel.

Forged upper/lower. I chose to go low cost on the upper/lower. I've been very impressed with the fit/finish of the brand I chose. Even the barrel extension fit inside the upper was very snug.

Anderson Manufacturing is the brand. Contrary to everything I've read and heard, this brand (at least my set) has been better than other brands I've been exposed to thru my son and a friend who have AR's.

Here's my build info:

Anderson forged stripped upper/lower
Anderson LPK
Fat Boy Tactical Blue trigger (No longer available - same basic trigger as RISE Armament black trigger)
Magpul MOE+ FDE grip
Magpul MOE rifle stock
FBT buffer, buffer spring, buffer tube
FBT forward assist
FBT dust cover
Brownell's Satern 5R 6.5 Grendel II 24" bbl and bolt
UTG Pro super slim 15" handguard
Brownell's BCG
AA Elander 17rd magazines (2)
ASC 10rd (2) and 25rd (2) magazines

Still need a good optic (likely will do something in the 3-12, 3.5-14, 3-15 range), as well as a charging handle, muzzle device, gas tube and gas block.

Those items will be picked up this week on a trip home from work (Fat Boy Tactical is kinda on the way home from work).

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1517 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post

I squared the receiver face, though it did not need it (it gave me a warm and fuzzy...).

Grendel II chamber:

Courtesy of Brownell's

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Picture of Jeff B.
posted Hide Post
Very nice.....as we speak, I am in the process of building my first AR 10....... dang you Mike skull

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HotRodAl,

Posts: 9654 | Location: Ephrata, PA, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
Rog there is nothing wrong with that Anderson action, I have compared them with several other brands and the fit and finish is just as good, I've put together several AR's for friends and such using Anderson and a few AERO's as well which cost more than twice as much. With no difference in function. Anderson is manufactured in Kentucky so they have to be gooduns, just ask Kyle he'll tell you the same.

Albert
Life Member NRA

Posts: 10173 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that Jeff clicked the wrong button, at least I caught myself before I did mess it up completely.

I've been lookin at the AR 10's myself Jeff. Big Grin

Albert
Life Member NRA

Posts: 10173 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
That's very cool Rog. I'm actually in the process of building a large frame myself. All I've got left to collect is bcg (going with an NiB aero or ballistics advantage) and a Timney Calvin Elite trigger (haven't seem them available yet). I'm going to do a post on it soon. I went with the mundane 308 Win since I have a ridiculous amount of federal match brass and Sierra mk's. I almost went 6.5 Creedmoor but the components thing steered me the other direction. Hopefully, I'll be able to get those last two items sourced in the next couple weeks so I can get it together. It'll be my first large frame build, they are definitely a different animal than building an AR15.

Looking forward to your shooting results.

Jeff laugh Razz

mike

Posts: 18875 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Just finished a 16 in Grendel build. Anderson upper and lower plus parts kit.Anderson barrel[which they source out from someone]and bolt carrier group.Had some problems with the first barrel which Anderson promptly replaced. First barrel was tight chambered and had a bad crown [5 in groups @100yds]With Hornady Black box ammo 123 gr match. Second barrel did 5/8th with 2 3 and 4th shots.5th 6th and 7th shot were tighter still. Anderson took care of my problem quickly with a very good barrel,and YES I will buy from them again. thumbup

Posts: 201 | Location: bourbon capitol KY. | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
quote:
just ask Kyle he'll tell you the same.

If Al says it....it is official....n if i say it....thats exactly the way it is. Big Grin

But i dont do AR's laugh

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KYODE,

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9097 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Nice build be careful they are addictive!!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2358 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Magnum Mike, which pattern are you going with? DPMS?

A billet set would be nice.

Leupold Man, I hear ya on the addiction. These things might be worse than SP's...

HotRodAl, in my case, I'd say my Anderson upper and lower is better quality than some S&W M&P's I've had my hands on, plus several Spike's Tactical set's I've had in my hands.

Plus, as a bonus, I can get these Anderson stripped uppers/lowers thru a local shop (www.fatboytactical.net) for $39.95 each for ~$80 bucks in a set. Kinda hard to pass that up. Additionally, I really like the Anderson lower with the integral trigger guard. That was one thing I wanted in my lower.

I almost went with the larger platform, but decided to do my fist one on the 15. That may come next. Smile

In my case, I had a budget to work within, so that influenced some of my decisions. Otherwise, I might have went with a billet set, different hand guard, Krieger barrel, etc., etc.

For a scope, I'm strongly considering the Nikon PS7 3x-12x42 #16321 (wish I could get it in a 50mm objective).

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Picture of varmithunter
posted Hide Post
for a nice scope you my think about a swfa super sniper fixed power in 10x I built the same rifle with the same barrel it shoots in the 4s to 6s so far and am using a 10x safa 1/4 min dots $300.00 read about it on line I have three 6x and two 10x I hade a 15x but the highter power the less clear it is to me tom the varmithunter

Tom Hunt

Posts: 65 | Location: Seattle, Washington | Registered: January 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of varmithunter
posted Hide Post
ps it looks nice with out the CAMO

Tom Hunt

Posts: 65 | Location: Seattle, Washington | Registered: January 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Optic mounted. Castoff scope from the parts bin. Burris 4x-16x-44 AO BP reticle.

Muzzle brake should be here early next week. Then the shooting will commence.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rog (Buttermilk421):

Well, its kind of both! laugh My receivers are a Spikes Jack, the rear of the set looks like a AR10 but it takes a DPMS High Handguard. nuts STILL waiting on the bcg and have yet to find the trigger. Hopefully SOON! I'm starting to get a little anxious to get this thing built.

I went billet as I wanted the best opportunity for accuracy. Hoping to achieve sub-moa performance from this package once its up and running! Wink

mike

posted Hide Post
Excellent! I hope it goes well for you. I might go the "10" route on the next build.

quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Mike:
quote:
Originally posted by Rog (Buttermilk421):

Well, its kind of both! laugh My receivers are a Spikes Jack, the rear of the set looks like a AR10 but it takes a DPMS High Handguard. nuts STILL waiting on the bcg and have yet to find the trigger. Hopefully SOON! I'm starting to get a little anxious to get this thing built.

I went billet as I wanted the best opportunity for accuracy. Hoping to achieve sub-moa performance from this package once its up and running! Wink

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

posted Hide Post
First three shots (#5, 6, 7) after using 4 shots to get on paper.

I was about 7-8 inches high and off the paper, plus the three shots landed next to an existing bullet hole (looks like a 4 shot group - the existing bullet hole doesn't have a dark ring around the hole).

I forgot my cleaning rod so I didn't get to do my typical barrel breakin, so I didn't get much accomplished today. Just as well. The rain prevented any chronographing anyway.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)