Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loads for 77/357 Login/Join 

posted
I have a 77/357 coming my way in a few days. I reload and definitely want to
work up some accurate loads. I have a nice 3X9 Redfield for it.

Any load input would be very much appreciated.

Posts: 30 | Location: Prunedale | Registered: February 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FyrepowrX
posted Hide Post
i tried an assortment of powders/bullets in my 77/357 & mine had a definite preference for midweight bullets; it shot best with the Hornady 140 XTP, and also the W-W 145 silvertip HP.

i had hoped it would like heavier bullets, but assorted 158 gr bullets & heavier weights shot groups about half again as large, and sometimes much worse...... after about a dozen different bullet trials i found i could make it like the Sierra 150gr JHC with a max load of Lil Gun, but those 150's were dropped a few years ago. i had about 150pcs left so loaded them as my hunting loads & have been trying to not plink with them. i guess when those run out i'll go back to fiddling with other loads to see if i can come up with a 158gr bullet load it tolerates.

have read quite a few articles where some guys got their 77/357's to like 180's & heavy stuff...mine just didnt care for 'em; and i also never found any cast bullet loads it likes.

i do like the gun a lot; stuck a 1-4x on mine & i pack it around a good bit.

at 50 yards, 3 shots are usually average about an inch or a touch over, or thereabouts, with the loads it likes.

=================================

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
Groucho Marx

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”
Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Posts: 7213 | Location: North-Eastern Oklahoma | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
FyrepowrX
Thank you for the info. I have heard same as what you said,
that different 77/357's will like different loads.
I am guessing you may be able to get heavier bullets to fly more accurate with the right powder and amount ....What Powder were you using?
But on the otherhand,nothing wrong shooting 140 hornady bullets.
Maybe we can work together developing loads on here.

Posts: 30 | Location: Prunedale | Registered: February 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FyrepowrX
posted Hide Post
Brian Pearce wrote up some articles a few years ago in handloader where he was using Lil Gun as one of his preferred velocity rifle loads; as i recall 158gr bullets were generating right at 2000fps in rifle barrels, and he reported accuracy was good, with moderate pressures. Some of his published loads went to 20.0grains with 158's; i never loaded that hot & i topped out about a grain less powder with 140's.

i'll see if i can find a copy of that article; the Hodgdon website lists Lil Gun in pistol data, but no data at all for Lil Gun in .357 rifles, so their website is of no use for showing rifle speeds in that regard.

for powders, i tried Lil Gun, 296, AA#9, & blue dot in my 77/357, all with ok groups , as long as i stuck with 140-150gr bullets.

my rifle did shoot Hornady 140 flex tips pretty good...but, they are a tad pricy & since they shot about the same as cheaper options, for me they offered no appeal. my 77/357 is one of my trail guns i pack around on the 4wheeler & truck when checking deer cameras, filling feeders, etc, and i like to plink with it also, so wanted to keep loads as moderately priced as feasible.

found i had most of a box of Winchester 145gr Silvertip factory loads & tried those...shot great, but at about a dollar per shot, wont be plinking with those.

may just be co-incidental, but Lil Gun with midweights also shot great in my .357mag Contender Carbine, and my .357mag handy-rifle, so maybe lil gun just balances out well with medium weight bullets...dunno...

=================================

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
Groucho Marx

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”
Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Posts: 7213 | Location: North-Eastern Oklahoma | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
FyrepowrX
I have been gone...thanks for that, after I work up some loads
I will get back to you.

IF ANYONE has any input for 77/357 loads we would appreciate it!

posted Hide Post
FyrepowrX
Did you find that article by Brian Pierce for 77/357 hand loads ?

posted Hide Post
XP, my experience with my 77/357 pretty much duplicates Fyrepowr X's. It loves the Hornady 140gr XTP and a max load of H110 as listed in the Sierra manual. Zeroed at 50yds, it shoots 1" high at 100yds.

As bullet weights went up, accuracy decreased. However, none of the loads and bullet weights tested shot much over 3" at 100yds, plenty accurate enough for deer.

I did replace parts in the trigger assy to help lighten and smooth the trigger pull. The factory trigger was horrible.

Enjoy your rifle, Steve

Posts: 133 | Location: Kansas | Registered: September 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Steve B, Thanks for your input, What was the trigger modification you did
to your 77/357?.. Are you happy with it?..I am sure I will hang onto my
77/357 and possibly change the trigger.

posted Hide Post
XP, I changed the trigger spring and sear with parts from Volquartson. I purchased them from Midway. The 77/22 sear and spring are the same as the 77/357 and 77/44. It made a difference of 3lbs on the pull weight and the trigger no longer has that gritty feel to it. There is still a bit more creep than I would like but I can live with it.

Regards, Steve

Posts: 133 | Location: Kansas | Registered: September 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
THANKS TO EVERYONE RE:77/357
I HAVE READ REPORTS ON ALLIANT 300-MP POWDER W/HORNADY 158 XTP AND VERY GOOD RESULTS WITH VELOCITY AND TARGET GROUPS 100 YARDS PLUS.THE 2 REPORTS I READ BOTH SAID IT WAS BETTER THAN H110 ... ANYONE TRIED THIS POWDER? IF SO WHAT WAS YOUR LOADS AND RESULTS?

NOTE: WITH MY NEW 77/357 I TRIED MY HAND-LOADS WITH H110 AND WAS PLEASED.
3"GROUPS AT 100 YARDS. TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION THIS WAS 1ST SHOOTING WITH MY 77/357 AND W/FACTORY TRIGGER,RESULTS WERE ACCEPTABLE.

BOB