Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Lever Action Login/Join 

Picture of moe
posted
What's the best one out there these days. Never had one but want one. Probably in .357

Posts: 1916 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
Henry

Albert
------------------------------
Life Member NRA

Posts: 10173 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a Browning Lever Action B92 that is a .357 and it's sweet to shoot, and has a gorgeous finish too!

I have a Winchester model 92 in .45 Long Colt that is well made that cost half what I paid for the Browning. I have yet to shoot anything but target loads out of it.

I would love to try a Henry rifle, but the opportunity has yet to present itself.

I had a Puma Model 92 in .357 years ago and it was a well made. Even the wood was nice.

Jim Brady

I'm out of my mind right now, but feel free to leave a message...

Posts: 1865 | Location: Missouri | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of Marlins and one lone Winchester 94BB

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Henry's are nice, but I do like my Ole Navy Arms 45LC!

Dave Dolin (Dave D.)
Contact poppygrips@yahoo.com
Best Little Grip Shop in West Virginia
Crafter of Custom Hand Made TC Grips and Forearms.

Posts: 6421 | Location: West Virginia Mountains | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Depending on your budget, I have 2 rossi levers 45lc and a 357, they nice for the money, all the rest are marlins 22lr, 357, 2 44mags and 3 45/70s, can't beat a marlin. Only thing I can say is don't buy a New York Marlin. The quality in not there. You want a JM Marlin

J

Posts: 326 | Location: Illinois  | Registered: September 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The Henry's are fine, but I do not like the way they load. I'll take my marlin any day.

Posts: 2141 | Location: THE PROMISED LAND! South Carolina | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
How it loads is why I like the Henry. Living in Wisconsin there is nothing worse than unloading a lever action and having the ammo all drop in the snow. With the Henry they all drop in my hand. Just my 2cents worth.

Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2358 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
To each his own, that's why there are so many choices out there.

Posts: 2141 | Location: THE PROMISED LAND! South Carolina | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Well said!

Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2358 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What about a uberti model 1873 in 357 mag? Way better then Henry's and Marlins!!!

Posts: 304 | Location: Indiana | Registered: October 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Shaggy357
posted Hide Post
You get what you pay for. If you spend less $$, you get less quality. I too have been shopping. I have held some real sloppy junk in my hands over the last few months. I am kind of spoiled. I am comparing everything to my old Winchesters and my Dad's Savage 99.

The new Henrys are really nice, but you are up into $750 plus for the best of the bunch. I was thinking about the new 41 Mag and 327. Thought they were the cat's meow....until I found my cost would be at the $750 mark....I can get a lot of early Winchester for $750....so have not been able to drop the hammer on one of them. Most anything I have touched with a new price tag of $400 and less have not been worth the $$ in my opinion. Just no quality to the ones I picked up.

Keep your eyes open on Gun Broker for some of the used Winchester, Marlin, early Rossi's, etc. You can find some great buys on straight wall cartridge guns if you keep watch...

Steve Smile
"Life is a play before an audience of one. When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"

Posts: 1923 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I had a Rossi 92 in 357mag it was a nice little carbine. Currently own a Browning B92 in 44Mag, love it

Darryl

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

Posts: 3253 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida USA | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I've got a few Marlins and a Rossi Ranch Hand. The Marlins are smooth, run perfectly and shoot great. The Rossi runs pretty well but I've not gotten to accuracy testing yet. Initial testing I hit what I was aiming at so it'll probably be just fine. You can feel and see the quality difference between the two brands but there's also several hundred dollars difference in price. The Rossi is a good working gun, especially for the $. I might even pick yo I've of their carbine in 45 colt.

I've read/heard done not so good stuff on the new Marlins though. No first hand experience but the stuff I've read sez spotty quality and ho hum accuracy. I'm kinda wanting a 45-70 but I've not pulled the trigger on getting a new marlin. Was hoping to find an old jm like my others...

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18875 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of moe
posted Hide Post
Uberti's are expensive!!

Posts: 1916 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of BigAl52
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Mike:
I've got a few Marlins and a Rossi Ranch Hand. The Marlins are smooth, run perfectly and shoot great. The Rossi runs pretty well but I've not gotten to accuracy testing yet. Initial testing I hit what I was aiming at so it'll probably be just fine. You can feel and see the quality difference between the two brands but there's also several hundred dollars difference in price. The Rossi is a good working gun, especially for the $. I might even pick yo I've of their carbine in 45 colt.

I've read/heard done not so good stuff on the new Marlins though. No first hand experience but the stuff I've read sez spotty quality and ho hum accuracy. I'm kinda wanting a 45-70 but I've not pulled the trigger on getting a new marlin. Was hoping to find an old jm like my others...

Careful Mike those 45-70's will grow on you. I bought a Henry CCH in 45-70 started shooting it and now have a Chiappa Ridgerunner along with a Browning 1886 and waiting for a Henry all weather. 45-70 is a gas to shoot especially at swingin bowlin pins Al

My hairs turnin White
My necks always been Red
My collar is still Blue
Yes you can say I have always been Red White and Blue
NRA Life Member
A man can never have to much red wine to many good books or to much ammunition Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 663 | Location: Greeley,Co | Registered: June 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post