Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 44 mag semi auto? Login/Join 

posted
I'm thinking about getting one to compliment my 44 Redhawk but I don't know much about them. Kinda like the Sporter stock over the little carbine one.. again don't know though..

So who's got one, or had one and can tell me anything about them... are they reasonable accurate, more importantly reliable, Ruger did quit making them after all... something wrong with them?
Thanks...

Scott

Posts: 2141 | Location: THE PROMISED LAND! South Carolina | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
When I was a young boy, I read a story in Argosy magazine about the late Bob Peterson's gorilla hunt with a Ruger .44 Carbine, and vowed that when I got older, I would own one of those rifles. They are better than reasonably accurate and eminently reliable. Ruger dropped them because of the expense of manufacture, and declining sales due to "Magnum-Mania". The original Ruger semi-autos were marked "Deerstalker". After a legal battle with Ithaca over the name, Ruger dropped that designation. Deerstalker marked .44 Carbines are very scarce, and are collectors' items.

The post Deerstalker .44 Carbines were made in a few variations. The overwhelming majority were the Ruger Standard .44 Carbine. However, they also made a few with a slot milled into the receiver for an integral Williams receiver sight (44-RS). They also made a few rifles stocked with a Monte-Carlo style stock known as the ".44 Fingergroove Sporter", and a few with full length Mannlicher Stocks known as the ".44 International", which were discontinued in 1971. There was a short run on 25th Anniversary .44 Standard Carbines made in 1985. In 2000, Ruger introduced the 99/44 Deerfield Carbine with a rotary magazine but it was short lived. I never warmed up to the Spartan looks of the Deerfield, and much prefer the rich blue and walnut stock of the older Ruger .44 Carbines.

During the twenty plus years that I lived in Louisiana, I hunted Whitetails with a 44-RS and a .44 Standard Carbine. My oldest Son, a cousin, and two of my Uncles also used the .44 Standard, and one of my cousins used her .44 Fingergroove Sporter. Over the years, I have seen close to 100 deer killed with the little Ruger 44 Carbines, and they were never found lacking in the close quarter swamps and woodlands. Most of our group used the R-P 240 gr JHP factory load, and the rest used the Winchester 240 gr. JHP. The choice of ammunition was often a lively and heated topic, but both loads were equally effective. Interestingly, we all still have our Ruger carbines to this day.

If you can find one of the rarer models, it will probably be cost prohibitive, but the .44 Standards are more plentiful and much less expensive. They are fast handling and a joy to shoot. Possibly the most perfect firearm for its intended usage-Whitetails in thick cover. You will not regret your purchase.

------------------------------
Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks Sawfish... Been looking a little bit, but can now look with a little more knowledge .. Thanks..

I did locate one of the Finger groove Sporter models.. not sure if its getting longer than it needs though.. The seller told me its 37 inches total length.. could I pester you to measure the length of yours for comparison? Would like the shorter model but I like the looks of the monte carlo stock and lack of barrel band..

Thanks..

Posts: 2141 | Location: THE PROMISED LAND! South Carolina | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Another question on these, what is better the tube fed or the box magazine... or is it just personal preference?

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
I will try to extract one of mine from the safe tonight, depending on how many of its brethren are in the front. Since I have lived in California, the little Rugers have not had much work, and have been moved to the back pew. That being said, I think that all of the barrels were 18.5" with the difference being in the stock, if any. There was no "choice" of ammo feed mechanisms within models. All of the Ruger .44 carbines manufactured from 1961-1985 used the tubular magazine. The Deerfield carbines, which were based on the Ranch Rifle platform used the box magazine. Both versions hold four rounds. I prefer the tube feed version because I prefer the earlier model carbines. It is also very easy to determine whether the magazine is loaded by looking at the bottom of the gun.

Just one more point. The Ruger Carbine was designed to use 240 gr. .44 Magnum jacketed “rifle” ammunition. In other words, a maximum load to ensure reliable functioning. I think you should get the Fingergroove if it can be had at a reasonable price. If you think it is too long, pick up a standard. Prices are only going up on these guns.

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks again.. and if you haven't already when you read this , I don't need the measurement.. both are 37". The finger groove one I was/am looking at is $785.. Too much?..

And I have a buttload of 240gr XTP's loaded pretty hot..

Thanks again for the help with this...

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
Depending on condition, that sounds in the ball park. There was some discussion on the Ruger forum not long ago re: Internationals at $1,200 and Deerfields for $1,000+! Suggest you check some of the auction sites for a current price gauge. Out of print guns are tough because you cannot make a comparison. Be sure to check the stock for splitting at the wrist behind the receiver and on the right side of the forearm.

Rudyard Kipling

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
Standard Carbine recently sold on Ruger forum for $725, so looks like you are in the right range.

http://rugerforum.net/firearms...-magnum-carbine.html

Rudyard Kipling

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
My brother had one and I wish he hadn't sold it or at least sold it to me. Real handy little carbine, like packing a 10/22 with a bit more weight and a lot more punch. I looked at a later 77/44 and measured up the magazine for a heavy cast bullet. My 320's wouldn't fit but I think a 275 would go. FWIW

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4565 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Cisco
posted Hide Post
2 friends had them back in 70s. They liked them. I killed a deer with one of em about 1980 and had to have one. Bought a new one and before shooting it 5 times it was jammin. Year later when I sold it, still jammin.

Friend has brother with one for sale. Shot it 20 times, no jams. Bought it. It had never been cleaned. Took it apart, cleaned, jammed immediately. Sold it.

Bought one off net bout 10 years ago. It has never jammed with me and puts 3 Hornady 300gr XTPs factory loads touching at 50 yds. Won't shoot handloads at all.

Killed 2 hogs with it about 3 years ago. Only thing I've ever shot with it. They seem to have doubled in price over past few years.

Posts: 2234 | Location: S Ms | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I hate these Ruger 44 carbine threads...reminds me of the one I foolishly sold cry . Great gun, looking forward to picking up another one of these days.

Posts: 915 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: May 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sorry bout that win...

and thanks all for the info.. looks like I need to go shopping in earnest..

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
And quick!

Rudyard Kipling

Picture of Bobcat
posted Hide Post
They are nice little guns, they are pretty popular around here still. Most of the ones I have had any dealings with worked best with 240 grain factory or equivalent loads.

Bob

I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity.
General Robert E. Lee

Posts: 1737 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: March 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sawfish:
And quick!

Yeah, that finger groove I was looking at is already gone..

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
"...He who hesitates is lost...".

Rudyard Kipling

posted Hide Post
quote:
"...He who hesitates is lost...".

Ya ya ya... I know.. but I want the right one too.

Looking today, just at stuff on line, and I noticed there are 2 different (maybe more) styles of recievers on these... the closed, side eject ones that resemble the 10/22 recievers, and an open top receiver that more resembles the ranch rifles..

All the ones I saw with the open top also had the box magazine.. don't know if that's how they all are but just what I've seen..

I'm leaning towards the tube mag but we'll see where I end up.

Saw a NOS one, box and all in Texas but they want $1200 for it. If I were a collector it may be worth it, but I'm wanting a shooter..

Picture of Cisco
posted Hide Post
hunt4570

Sent you an email.

Thanks JD

Posts: 2234 | Location: S Ms | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My dream has been crushed!! cry cry

Well at least for a bit.. Had a guy wanting to by a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle I have that was going to fund this little project.. but ended bailing at the last minute... so I'm now saving my pennies... I will get one of these pretty soon!!

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking today, just at stuff on line, and I noticed there are 2 different (maybe more) styles of recievers on these... the closed, side eject ones that resemble the 10/22 recievers, and an open top receiver that more resembles the ranch rifles.. All the ones I saw with the open top also had the box magazine.. don't know if that's how they all are but just what I've seen..I'm leaning towards the tube mag but we'll see where I end up.

The closed top tube feed models, which resemble the 10/22 [actually it is the other way around since the 10/22 was designed as a companion gun to the .44 Carbine] are the .44 Standard Carbine, which were the earlier guns, and in my opinion higher quality. The fingergroove and international models were variations of the .44 Standard Carbine.

The later model that is based on the Ranch Rifle is the 99/44 or Deerfield model. Aesthetically, I am a fan of the older tube feed gun, which I consider to be better looking, more accurate, and better handling than the Deerfield, but that is just my opinion. Those were the only two receiver styles. All of the Deerfields use the box magazine, whereas all of the Standard Carbines are tube feed.

Rudyard Kipling

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Looking today, just at stuff on line, and I noticed there are 2 different (maybe more) styles of recievers on these... the closed, side eject ones that resemble the 10/22 recievers, and an open top receiver that more resembles the ranch rifles.. All the ones I saw with the open top also had the box magazine.. don't know if that's how they all are but just what I've seen..I'm leaning towards the tube mag but we'll see where I end up.

The closed top tube feed models, which resemble the 10/22 [actually it is the other way around since the 10/22 was designed as a companion gun to the .44 Carbine] are the .44 Standard Carbine, which were the earlier guns, and in my opinion higher quality. The fingergroove and international models were variations of the .44 Standard Carbine.

The later model that is based on the Ranch Rifle is the 99/44 or Deerfield model. Aesthetically, I am a fan of the older tube feed gun, which I consider to be better looking, more accurate, and better handling than the Deerfield, but that is just my opinion. Those were the only two receiver styles. All of the Deerfields use the box magazine, whereas all of the Standard Carbines are tube feed.

Well when I resume the search, which I will... I will be looking for the closed top, tube fed model. And thanks for all your help with this..

Scott

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
Good luck in your search.

Rudyard Kipling

Picture of Single_Shooter
posted Hide Post
I see I am a little late in the search but thought I would let ya know.

A week ago I was in Lafayette, Indiana visiting family. Went into a gun shop there named "FOUR GUNS". They had a pair of the Ruger 44 rifles hanging on the wall. Both had the little carbine stocks and looked pretty good as far as condition. I believe one was $600 and one was $700.

Posts: 524 | Location: North County, St. Louis, Mo. | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
This project is in temporary limbo, but thanks for the heads up. Someday I'll find one of these at the same time I have money in my pocket and be good to go.

Someday...

Picture of dbd870
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Single_Shooter:
I see I am a little late in the search but thought I would let ya know.

A week ago I was in Lafayette, Indiana visiting family. Went into a gun shop there named "FOUR GUNS". They had a pair of the Ruger 44 rifles hanging on the wall. Both had the little carbine stocks and looked pretty good as far as condition. I believe one was $600 and one was $700.

And you didn't buy them! O

Which way to the classifieds....
NRA Endowment

Posts: 2761 | Location: Morgan Co, Indiana | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Steve E
posted Hide Post
Really like mine, it's from the late 70's or early 80's and shoots real well. It would out shoot the 77/44 (which is now a 357 x 44 Bain & Davis) I had by a wide margin.

Steve.........

NRA Patron Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 584 | Location: SEMO | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Definiely thumbs up

Posts: 188 | Location: NH | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My dad has a '66 fingergroove and it's mint.
He asked me today if I wanted it.
Told him in good time.

He let me take it the first yr Indiana allowed PCR rifle, and I filled a doe tag with it. Norma 236gr factory ammo. His has peep sight and large front bead.
Makes it an under 100 yd rig (preferably under 75).

The trigger sucks.

But with crap sights, horrible trigger and half arsed rest, I shot 2-2.5" groups for 5 shots, at 85 yards (max I could get at buds place).

Shot my deer slightly quartering to, hit onside shoulder and spine (coming down ridge). Deer jumped into the air (saw a white flash).

That was its belly. It landed on it's back and didn't even kick. Just had all 4 up and they slowly dropped a ways.

Was looking for a clean 10/22 to match. Found one, but unfortunately it was factory checkered Wink

Posts: 13 | Location: Indiana | Registered: May 21, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I found one for my wife after she had difficulty lowering the hammer on a M94 Winchester 44 Rifle w/o a discharge. I put Williams receiver sights on it and zeroed it with a Sierra 180gr. JHC loaded over 630P. It is very happy with that combo. She took a very nice 6 point with it, scored over 100 @ Buckmasters! The deer crossed between us when she shot and bullet impact was like the door slamming closed on a new Cadillac! The green fiber-optic sight addition is a great addition to a great brush gun.

Posts: 19 | Location: SE USA | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The finger groove stock is ,IMHO, the best designed stock Ruger has made. I have two 10/22s with that stock and they really feel nice to shoot. If you get a chance to buy a finger groove 44 carbine you should jump on it !!

Posts: 3520 | Location: South Texas | Registered: January 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim S.:
The finger groove stock is ,IMHO, the best designed stock Ruger has made. I have two 10/22s with that stock and they really feel nice to shoot. If you get a chance to buy a finger groove 44 carbine you should jump on it !!

These days, if you get a chance to buy any Ruger 44 carbine, you should jump on it!

Rudyard Kipling