All I will shoot is .223's. It looks as tho these are the ones I should concentrate on.
I want accuracy first and foremost, and as these are chambered in .223 Wylde, this is the route I should take.
Any experiences with this line of Colt's?
I am no AR guru. I have shot some that were impressive to say the least, rival a bolt gun. None were Colts.
From what I have seen as of late, the market is wide open on the AR's. One better than a colt could be had for less $$$$
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!
Personally, I'd build one. You'll enjoy the build, it's simple, and you'll be able to use the best components and achieve or exceed your accuracy expectations. If you need assistance, I might be able to help.
If accuracy is first and formost, the new colts would be near the end of the list for me. I would build one, then pick your barrel from a top quality manufacturer. You can put top of the line components in it and still be cheaper than the new colts. And probably shoot twice as good.
Have a look at a Scar 16s...
Piston driven so it runs cool and clean, and stupid accurate.
I hear all your thoughts.....
I am not interested in building one, although that would be the best thing. But, if you had to buy one off the shelf which would you get? Say U had $1400 to spend, how would you spend it?
Daniel Defense, Spikes Tactical, BCM, etc... There are no shortage of high end AR15s.
Thank you Mike, that is most helpful.
That is, unless you want to build me one with my cash...
Heck yea, I'd enjoy building you one.
Give me some specs on what you'd like and we can discuss parts.
Edit: Some of the specs needed.
- purpose? Light weight hunter, bench gun or battle rifle?
- barrel length/weight?
- 5.56 or 223 or both?
- trigger, 2-stage(battle rifle) or single stage(bench gun or hunter)? Pull weight (3lb or 4.5-5lb)?
- furniture, precision stock/pistol grip(bench gun), Magpul Moe or similar?This message has been edited. Last edited by: Magnum Mike,
I will call you tomorrow......now that I have your number....LOL
This should be a blast Mike.....I have some ideas already.
Definitely a bench gun.
.223 only, 16" to 18" s.s. Barrel with break.
Flip up sites.This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jeff B.,
Cool, I'll start looking into parts this afternoon.
I have been looking at a lot of Spike's stuff on YouTube and G.B., wowsa!
Yea, they have some nice stuff. If your interested in billet, seekins has some BUT they are big $$$$ and I don't know they you'll see the return in accuracy. I like spikes lowers a lot. Unless you want something different, and spikes has that, It'd be my base. Uppers, I like spikes but there's tons of options. Since this is a bench gun, you don't need a ejection port cover or forward assist on the upper. Slick side will work fine. Side charger would also be a great option as most of them are heavier and billet.
For free float handguards, check out Midwest Industries Gen 2 SS units. Price wise, they're affordable and they're top notch. I, personally, hate quad rails but like/want a continuous top rail, the gen 2ss gives me that and completely free floats the barrel.
Barrels, check out Ballistic Advantage. They have some super products at great prices. I've got one on my sbr and I'm putting one on my troy PAR as soon as I get the gas port closed. Accuracy has been great. They have several heavy barrels in 5.56/223.
Triggers, for a single stage in the the 4.5# range, I like the ALG ACT for $70. Jp has a single stage trigger/springs that runs in the 3# range for $115(going in my PAR). Geissele has lots of options starting at around $200. Then there's always the drop in units, they start around $170 and go way up from there.
Midway is a great place to look at lots of parts like triggers, safeties, sights, buttstocks, etc... Spikes Tactical's website is a great place to check out uppers and lowers. Midwest Industries website for handguards.
If you start with a virgin receiver, you can also build a pistol like this last one I put together from spare parts(in 300BLK that I'm sselling).
This message has been edited. Last edited by: Magnum Mike,
Options, options options........
A single stage trigger for sure
A spikes lower....one of the "funkier" ones
I want you to indulge yourself Mike on this one. Has to shoot (first), then be functional while looking good. If the zombies come while at the range, I want to give them something to worry about. I also saw a magpul stock that was in a real nice tan color. That should look good with the black metal.
Make it a dual bench/battle rifle, so keep the forward assist and ejection cover.
Be in touch tomorrow with you.This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jeff B.,
I envision something along these looks, but with tan furniture.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=521349795This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jeff B.,
Ok, lets get started! I'll list 2 or 3 options for every group. You can buy from the place I list or wherever you can get a better deal. The lower will have to go to my ffl. When your ready to buy it, let me know where and i'll have him send his info.
Lower: Spikes Tactical
1) Billet Lowers
2) Forged Lowers
Upper: Spikes Tactical (i'd match upper to lower, billet lower/billet upper. Forged to forged)
1) Billet Upper > http://www.spikestactical.com/...rrel-nut-p-1072.html
2) Forged Upper > http://www.spikestactical.com/...multi-cal-p-123.html
Barrels I've had great luck with their barrels, very accurate. Lots of others if you want another brand, will have to get a gas block for it.
1) 16" .223 Wylde SPR Stainless Steel Mid-Length Barrel, Premium Series w/Cross Pin Lo-Pro Gas Block (Includes Gas Block) +$40.00 > http://ballisticadvantage.com/...-premium-barrel.html
2) 18" .223 Wylde BA Hanson Stainless Steel Mid-Length Barrel w/ Lo Pro, Premium Series > http://ballisticadvantage.com/...-premium-barrel.html
3) 20" .223 Wylde DMR Stainless Steel Rifle Length Barrel, Premium Series w/Cross Pin Lo-Pro Gas Block (Includes Gas Block) +$40.00
Bolt Carrier Group Nickel Boron is the way to go, a few extra bucks will pay off big time in ease of cleaning and will run dry(something AR's don't do well).
1) Ballistics Advantage > http://ballisticadvantage.com/...cg-nickel-boron.html
2) Spikes > http://www.spikestactical.com/...6-bcg-556-p-388.html
1/2"-28 Muzzle Device - Whatever you want as long as its 1/2"-28 thread. A small sampling of whats available > http://www.midwayusa.com/flash-hiders/br?cid=18295
Handguards There are TONS of others, this is my preference as they are the least abusive to your bare hands. A lot of others, like quad rails, are cheese graters.
1) MI Gen2 SS Free Float 15" in FDE > http://www.midwestindustriesin...play&category_ID=450
2) MI Key Mod Free Float 15" in FDE > http://www.midwestindustriesin...lay&category_ID=1211
3) MI M-LOK Free Float 15" in FDE > http://www.midwestindustriesin...lay&category_ID=1263
Buffer Tube Assy > http://www.spikestactical.com/...embly-kit-p-315.html
1) JP Competition 3# > http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...b-single-stage-matte Will also have to have the Speed Hammer from JP > http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...-pin-154-ar-15-matte
2) Geissele SD-3G Super Dynamic Trigger 3-Gun > http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...-small-pin-154-matte
3) ACT ALG 4.5# > http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...4-single-stage-matte
Lower Parts Kit
1) CMMG > http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=521589359
2) AR-Stoner > http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...iver-parts-kit-ar-15
Pistol Grips Like muzzle devices, theres TONS! I prefer the Magpul products, doesn't mean the others arent good. Here is a good place to look at a bunch > http://www.midwayusa.com/pistol-grips/br?cid=17060
Buttstocks MUST BE MILSPEC, NOT COMMERCIAL. So many to choose from, check out a bunch here > http://www.midwayusa.com/buttstocks/br?cid=11623 Magpul Moe series are great. The UBR or CTR are VERY popular but any other will work.
That's the pieces we must have to put together something that will go bang. Anything else you'd like to add, lets discuss.This message has been edited. Last edited by: Magnum Mike,
Other pieces you'll want:
Sights > http://www.midwayusa.com/sights/br?cid=15322
Scope Mounts > The Burris AR-PEPR and Leupold mounts work great. I prefer the American Defense, their bullet proof but their not cheap. http://www.americandefensemanu...cmounts/scopemounts/
Forward Grip > The Magpul vertical grips work great, I like the AFG, soooo many options here too.
Sling Mounts > http://www.midwayusa.com/sling-mounts/br?cid=21511
That is a thorough listing. Let me digest the options. I'll call u after work today to talk.
A big thank you.
I think I saw a build video on YouTube and the guy said it is better to use billet uppers and lowers rather than forged. What do you think?
As of right now, all parts are ordered.
Can't wait to see the packages!
And, as of right now, all parts are at Mike's. I have seen the upper, and am most impressed with what he did.
Upper is complete, red lock tight, rockset and all!
The jp trigger is set up, WOW is it nice, got to fit the disconnector and safety, yet. Installed the buffer tube and staked it in place.
Few minor things to button up then it's off to the range for test firing! If I get time tomorrow night, it should be completely assembled. This is absolutely the highest end build I've done yet. The lower is so tight I had to actually stone the sides of the trigger, where the pin runs thru it, because it wouldn't fit in the receiver as it came from the box!
Btw, sent you a few pix, I got the bolt stop roll pin in without marking the receiver, wooohooo!
Wondered why you taped it off, then saw a video on a lower build and can understand why now.
Thank you Mike!
Any time your driving a pin with a hammer and punch, there could always be an oooppps! So I tape it up real good.
Hopefully, more pix tonight!
Was a really great build with all top quality parts. Very enjoyable. If all goes well, I'll test fire it tomorrow...
Wow, she looks real good. Ashamed the FDE handrail is not a better match, but it will do nicely.
Big thanks to you Mike. I am really glad I did not purchase an off the rack AR at some sporting goods store.
Just sent off an email to Midwest Ind. inquiring about a hand guard swap for the black. Looks easy enuff to do meself.
Yea, except I used the enclosed rockset so it might take liberal application of a heat gun to get it off.
If I get time tonight, I put a few the it but I'm sure it'll run fine.
Nice rifle Jeff!!!!
Put 10 rounds thru it tonight, went thru it like a knife thru hot butter!
Here's the details:
- Spikes Tactical billet upper/"The Jack" billet lower
- Midwest Ind FDE 12" free float hand guard (m-lok)
- 18" Ballistic Advantage 223 Wylde premium ss mid-weight barrel w/pinned mid-length mini gb
- Ballistics Advantage nickel boron bcg
- JP 3# full adjustable trigger(read pita to fit safety) w/speed hammer. Minimal creep & ot
- Magpul AFG, Moe+ grip, Moe SL stock
- Spikes T2 carbine buffer assy
- BCM mod 3 charging handle
- Noveske brake?
- AR Stoner lower parts kit
|Powered by Social Strata|