Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on Rem 7400?? Login/Join 

posted
Any thoughts, warnings whatever on a Remington 7400? Thinking about a new toy to play with and this is at the top of my list right now. Found a carbine 30 06 with the 18 1/2" barrel that's kind of calling my name. Big Grin

Posts: 2141 | Location: THE PROMISED LAND! South Carolina | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Cisco
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is to shoot it before you buy it and be sure it functions properly.
If it does and you buy it, take it apart and clean it.
Then keep it clean.

Posts: 2234 | Location: S Ms | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of blades
posted Hide Post
don't remember much about the 7400- think those are alloy receivers- there was a cracking problem. I have a pump version 740/60 can't remember which is pump #. Steel receivers on these so a bit heavier. Handy where it is thick, 180gr rn 06 tends to anchor whitetails pretty quick for me. faster than a bolt for quick 2nd shot or multiple targets if warranted.

Posts: 419 | Location: WI | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
The 7400/7600 (740/760)are the same basic gun other than semi vs. pump. They are both made of steel, no aluminum receivers.

As Cisco notes, they like to be kept clean. Accuracy is decent but not stellar. I've read some reports about them where handloads got them around 5-shot MOA at 100.

Id say, as long as the price is reasonable, its in good shape, its worth the adventure. Wink

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18878 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Its on Gun Broker so I cant fire it, looks very clean. Was also looking at a Browning Bar, but its about double the price..
And cleaning a new to me, or just new, gun is always my first endeavor. Good way to learn about it and do a little bonding. laugh

Its in California, and says its "California legal" what might they have screwed up making it California legal?

Posts: 2141 | Location: THE PROMISED LAND! South Carolina | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
My father has used one for years for everything. Whitetail, black bear, hogs, and a cow elk. All kinds of weather and conditions. He does keep it as clean as possible. Let us know what you decide.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2360 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
I have my dad's 760 and my friend has a 742. Both are accurate enough for hunting. On the Autos my friends is one of the most accurate ones I've seen out of 5 of them that I've messed with. His will print under MOA with handloads while the others struggle to get 1 1/2 @ 100. It's sort of the luck of the draw. The Brownings I've seen are a little better but not much and they are hard on brass. If you get one and reload for it you MAY need a small base die for it also and you don't want to load them hot. If it's not been abused it'll probably be ok, if many many rounds have been run through it check the lugs on the bolt carefully for chipping. Some is ok but I've seen some that look like a hammer was taken to them from not cleaning and shooting hot loads.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Duffy,

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4566 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well I let that one go,I just had shoulder surgery so I'll be in a sling for 6-8 weeks so I cant play with it yet anyway. Gives me time to do more research and thinking.

I can get a new Rem 750 for just a little more, or a Browning BAR for about double. That 750 might be the way to go unless I see a used BAR for a reasonable price. Theres a BAR in 243 in a shop close to me at a decent price, not sure if I like the 243 or not and not sure I want to add another caliber. Was thinking 308 or 3006 as I'll be using this gun for deer and hogs and just not sure if the 243 is enough for pigs.

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
AR10 in 308? heh heh heh. devil

Ryan

Posts: 4566 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
123017 posted March 13, 2017 07:18 PMHide PostAR10 in 308? heh heh heh.

HA!! I just sold my Scar 17s that I just had to have! It was to heavy to carry much and just too much $$$ invested in one gun... so kinda maybe! nuts Roll Eyes
Got what I paid for it so I guess I am looking for a replacement. I got into all that "black gun" stuff some years ago and now I want a good shooter and a good looker... Wood/Blued. Pigs deer and paper, and light enough to carry round through the woods.

EDIT TO ADD: what do you mean by the BAR's being hard on brass?

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
The ones that I have worked on were 3 7mm mags and one 30-06. The 7 mags were the worst for mashing the mouth shut on the cases, dinging the bodies and buggering up the rim. They rip that case out so fast that you can't pick it up for 3 min after it hit's the ground because it's so hot. Seriously, they will raise a blister! The 06 wasn't quite as severe as the 7mm, but the brass out of the Remington's are in much better shape. One guy owned 2 of the 7 mag's I worked on and at one time he had gotten the bolts switched around. One of them would split the shoulders on just about every third case. After I got things cleaned and switched around it didn't do it as much but would still split one once in a while even though the headspace was correct.

Ryan

posted Hide Post
Well doing research and I'm starting to lean towards the Browning in 3006..

posted Hide Post
SO.....
I ended up buying A Browning Bar MKII Safari in 30/06 with a BOSS.

Just bought it off GB today, I'm looking forward to getting it. Got it used in good condition and saved enough over new to also order a new Kel Tec CMR 30!! happy