Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

savage shooters-question Login/Join 

posted
When you change the barrel on your savage, do you get any change in how your pet load shoots? Im concerned that if I change over a barrel and then go back and the headspace isnt EXACTLY the same as it was before, my loads will not be as tight.

Posts: 125 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Put an index mark on the barrel and the action. Done.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
A small piece of masking tape. One on the barrel and one on the front of the action. Put a mark on each one and when you swap back, match the marks. If it's a stainless barrel or action, a marking pen will do the job.

Posts: 336 | Location: Northern California | Registered: March 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
ONCE its properly headspaced and torqued down, THAN match mark the action to barrel nut, and than the barrel to nut, all on the bottom dead center. repeatability.

Larry
Tinkerer

Posts: 1252 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I recently broke the firing pin retainer on my Savage Striker [second time]and after no luck getting the bolt to open pulled the barrel.and pushed the bolt out the front. I installed new pin and reassembled using a proper go gauge snugging the barrel down on the gauge and tightening the barrel nut .The gun will not extract my reloads now, they are mid range loads. Have not tried any factory loads yet so don't know how it will work with them. Had no trouble with reloads before pulling barrel so any thoughts on what is wrong.

Posts: 201 | Location: bourbon capitol KY. | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
A few thoughts, in no particular order,

Your headspace might be tighter now than it was before. Do you have a piece of fired brass, that you have not resized, that was shot in your barrel before you pulled it? If so, you might consider going back and using that as your "go gauge".

Have you tried chambering the go gauge now, with the headspace the way you set it, and see if it chambers ok? Bolt should close without much resistance at all, assuming chamber is clean.

While setting the headspace with the go gauge, you turned the barrel against the bolt face, and tightened the barrel nut. Are you sure you didn't inadvertently tighten the barrel further into the receiver as you tightened the barrel nut?

Did you set the headspace on the barrel with the same headspace gauge, in the same way, before most recently having to pull the barrel? Or, was this a factory chambered and headspaced barrel, that you've just pulled for the first time?

Posts: 658 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It was factory set. The gun would always pull the empty before. You had to cycle the action quickly to clear brass from the action or it would drop it in the port. This was not a problem as I work a bolt hard when I hunt and easy on the bench so I didn't have to chase brass.Now it won't pull it at all.When we set the headspace we just lightly snugged the barrel to the headspace gauge then tightened the barrel nut while holding the barrel stationary.

Posts: 201 | Location: bourbon capitol KY. | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ok, now don't laugh at this question, but did you put the extractor back in the bolt when you reassembled?

I always pull the extractor out when I'm headspacing a new barrel, just in case the "rim" of the gauge gets caught in front of the extractor.

Posts: 658 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
often When the Savage bolt lock up, it is because the extractor has partially blown out to the side. it may be time for a new extractor. are your loads hot?

Posts: 2068 | Location: Kasson MN | Registered: August 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I don't believe his bolt is locking up on firing. I think it's just not extracting the fired round when the bolt comes back. I don't see any reference to "lock up" in his post.

posted Hide Post
So did you find the problem junebug?