Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yesterday I did Something I'd Never Done Before.... Login/Join 

posted
I bought a gun, an AR-15, on an emotional response. I've been looking to buy an AR-15 for a few years, but everytime I got close to buying, a mass shooting would happen, prices would surge and I'd postpone the purchase. Yesterday while driving to and from work I listened to a number of satellite radio shows. Unlike prior mass shootings, fingers are pointing at the AR moreso and much quicker. By the time I got home, I decided now was the time. I ended up buying a Ruger AR-556. I was pleasantly surprised to see that prices were pretty stable compared to AR prices before the FL shooting. It should fit my needs as I was looking for an inexpensive and basic AR, yet with a solid reputation. I still intend to later build a custom AR for varmint/prairie dog hunting. This way, I'm at least in the AR game while I figure out the specs for the custom AR. thumbup

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1303 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TScottW55
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I ended up buying a lower to build an AR pistol. My 300 Blackout barrel came in yesterday.

----------------------------------
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

- Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 186 | Location: Roanoke, VA | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Rodent
posted Hide Post
A couple uppers came in the mail yesterday. A 5.56 and a 7.62x39. I will build up the lowers this weekend.

Ya'll have a great weekend.

Mike

------------------------------
Piedmont Sportsman Club
IHMSA #57226
NRA #146349408
EMT-B

Posts: 4071 | Location: Rochelle, Virginia | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Cool! Also, you've got a lower now in case there is an issue, you can build additional uppers for it. ;-)

If your going to build a varmint rig, I highly recommend the Timney 660CE trigger. It's 1.5#, has almost zero creep and no over travel. Also comes with several trigger shoes so you can make it whatever you like. It's not cheap but it's a super high quality trigger.

Btw, your not the only 1st time AR15 buyer this week. Every shop I stopped at this week told me the rifles are flying off their shelves, most are first time buyers.

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18875 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Know i'm preaching to the choir but why do they always blame the gun and not the shooter. They don't blame the plane that crashes or the car but the driver. Nobody want's to ban planes or cars. Sorry about the hijack you bought a nice AR.

Posts: 201 | Location: bourbon capitol KY. | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I admit, I'm not really interested in buying an AR, after carrying one for 4.5 years straight for Uncle Sam, they just don't "do it" for me.

Out of curiosity, yesterday I stopped in one of our biggest LGS's to check out the scene, as I figured the latest shooting would cause another panic buy. Nope. It was calm and quiet in there, plenty of AR's on the racks, prices were "normal", loads of 30 round mags on the peg hooks.

Maybe with the "right" guy in the whitehouse right now, there won't be the crazy panic buying spree this time around. Now if Hillary had won instead...

*shivers*

At least up here, for now, there's no panic buying going on.

Posts: 658 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Know i'm preaching to the choir but why do they always blame the gun and not the shooter.

As a whole, I truly believe the dems/liberals/progressives (call them whatever you want) hate ALL guns, seeing them as evil things that have no redeeming value. The other items you mentioned would be recognized by most folks as being useful to society and/or people. Plus, the aforementioned political group(s) is always looking for a means to expand government's power over the people. Recognizing the ability and responsibility of people to protect themselves is at odds w/ that philosophy.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1303 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Congrats I love mine and will never be without many!!!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2358 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Lone Hunter
posted Hide Post
I admit I never saw the need for a AR15. But with so many anti gunners running their mouths(some in my own family)about how no one should be able to own one! Out of spite, I bought one a couple of years ago. Contrary to what the anti gunners say, I was pleased to see, with the right ammo and shot placement it actually made a nice deer hunting rifle. I think I will keep it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities. - Prentice Ritter, Broken Trail 2006

Posts: 3520 | Location: Smithfield,NC | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
I agree! I have hunted hogs, whitetail, coyotes, pronghorn, and prairie dogs with mine. And I set a person who hunts straight, in my state of Wisconsin last week by letting them know it is legal to do.

Posts: 2358 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have HAD several repeating guns, rifle ,pistol and shotgun. I do not seem to keep them nor use them for long
.Now single shot firearms seem to hang around forever. I used bolt action rifles for years. Only putting one round in the gun at a time. Deer and groundhog hunting.! I saw guys load MANY rounds in their guns, when asked WHY SO MANY? They said Incase I miss on the first shot. It kind of worried me to hunt NEAR those guys.

Posts: 3978 | Location: home | Registered: November 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree with you if that is why they are using the gun. I also have a lot of single shot rifles and pistols. I enjoy them all! It has nothing to do with the second shot. It has everything to do with enjoying what I'm shooting.