Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR-15 Login/Join 

Picture of Lone Hunter
posted
I bought a stripped lower.

Not sure if I am going to build a carbine or a pistol.

Any recommendations for lower parts kits?

Grips, rails possible buttstock.

As always this is a economy build.

Any input is welcome.

Thanks,
Jeff

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities. - Prentice Ritter, Broken Trail 2006

Posts: 3520 | Location: Smithfield,NC | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Parts kits, I'd recommend Spikes, CMMG & midway's ar stoner, in that order.

Beyond that, I can't recommend any cheap parts. A few years ago, I started out with that mindset. I bought a bunch of cheap parts(mostly bought off gun broker) and built my first pistol. While it was functional, it was obvious that it wouldn't hold up over the long haul, the quality just wasn't there. I slowly replaced ever cheap part with a quality item.

My suggestion, search for deals on quality parts. It'll take a tad longer to reach the final finished build but when it's done you'll have something that'll last you a lifetime. Spikes Tactical makes everything you need and their product is quality. Palmetto State Armory also offers some very reasonable pieces/parts that are good quality.

As your looking at stuff, post back what interests you and I'll let you know what I've learned about them, I'm sure others will come in too.

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18875 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest you go here, and sign up. You will accumulate much information at the expense of others ;-)

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3...ild_It_Yourself.html

I am in the process of assembling all the parts to complete my first build as well.

thumbup Rod
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6373 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of bowstryder
posted Hide Post
Magnum Mike is right all the way. I did the budget (read:cheap) thing a couple of years ago and learned that going that route is a big handicap!
My current ar's were and are being being built with specific end goals and as such the components change a little.
I like to get a specific trigger, safety, charging handle etc etc. Per use intended. As mike stated figure out what you are going to end up with and then you can get advice on what may work better as far as parts go.

Posts: 443 | Location: waynesboro, va | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Lone Hunter
posted Hide Post
The more I look the more confused I get.

What kind of mags does everyone like?

What kind do I need to stay away from?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities. - Prentice Ritter, Broken Trail 2006

Posts: 3520 | Location: Smithfield,NC | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
There are more mags brand than you can shake a stick at! Most of the quality mags all run in the $15 for a 30 Round. Couple bucks less for a 20 round. I prefer Magpul and milspec.

Actually, I prefer Magpul most all of their product. If your building a pistol, I like their k grip. If your building a rifle I like any of their stocks and the Mission First Tactical minimalist unit for a light weight build.

I like Spikes Tactical for receivers, buffer tubes assemblies, bolt carries group and misc parts.

I prefer Midwest Industries gen 2 ss free float handguards.

I prefer Ballistics Advantage barrels.

My preference is American Defense Mfg for optics mounts.

Just to name a few. Smile

mike

Posts: 18875 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TScottW55
posted Hide Post
I'm building a 6.8SPC carbine at the moment. Spikes lower, Daniel Defense parts kit though I'm changing the trigger out to a Velocity 3 pound trigger. My barrel is an AR Performance barrel, great quality for a great price. Using a CIV tactical trued upper, Yanke Hill Todd Jarrett forearm and a Midwest low profile gas block. Also a AR Performance super bolt with an Aero Percision BCG. My butt stock is a Magpul ACS.

With all of that said, do a lot of reading and shopping around. Decide what you want from a rifle befor you build it.

I highly recommend AR Performance barrels. Great customer service and prices. If you buy a bolt from them when you buy your barrel they will headspace it for free.

Check out also, Joe Bob Outfitters, Aim Surplus, Red Barn Armory, Primary Arms and Palmetto State Armory for parts. Good prices can be found on good parts.

----------------------------------
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

- Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 186 | Location: Roanoke, VA | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Check out also, Joe Bob Outfitters, Aim Surplus, Red Barn Armory, Primary Arms and Palmetto State Armory for parts. Good prices can be found on good parts.

JSE surplus as well.

thumbup Rod

Posts: 6373 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of snowsnake
posted Hide Post
I too am in the process of assembling an AR and going thru the same. It will be in 6.8 and ill second the recommendation of AR Performance barrels. The owner hangs out on the 6.8 forum and answers a lot of questions. If mine shoots as good as it looks im set. He sells 5.56 barrels too.
So far ive picked up the barrel and matching bolt, Aero Precision stripped upper and lower, Ergo grip and BCM stock w/a Brownells stock installation kit .
One thing to consider is what you will be doing with it, lots of walking, range work, plinking? You may want to build it light for a walking rifle so that could influence your parts selection.
Theres a guy on the 6.8 forum that did a build and made it as light as possible, in the process he used a lot of different parts and reported on them. Lots of good information there.
Brownells has available an AR catalog free for the asking, loaded with parts.

Posts: 216 | Location: S.W. VA | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Lone Hunter
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used the ENHANCED POLISHED FIRE CONTROL GROUP It has good reviews.

How does everyone feel about a smooth side upper verse's the forward assist.

Is the forward assist really needed? I guess, what I am asking has anyone used the forward assist?

Picture of TScottW55
posted Hide Post
For a hunting AR I really don't think a forward assist is necessary. I have used it in the military but never since. I like the looks of the slick side and have debated building my next as a slick side.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 186 | Location: Roanoke, VA | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
How does everyone feel about a smooth side upper verse's the forward assist.

If an upper didn't already have it, I wouldn't miss it.

thumbup Rod

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I'd want a forward assist for hunting. If you try too ease the bolt closed instead of letting the bolt fly, to be quiet, you might need it to get the bolt completely closed.

With the AR15 design, I wouldn't go slick side upper unless it was a side charger.

That trigger group should work just fine.

mike

Picture of Lone Hunter
posted Hide Post
How about the grips?

Kind of hard to decide what you want without holding it in your hand.

Any preference?

Is there a so called bolt action upper for a AR without the gas tube?

I have seen a bolt action 50 BMG upper.

Are there any made for normal rounds?

Picture of TScottW55
posted Hide Post
I have the Magpul MOE grip on my AR lower I built. It's comfortable but if I had it to do over I would look at the Magpul MIAD which has removable back straps to get the fit for you.

As to the bolt action ARs. POF-USA has a bolt action AR in 5.56 & 7.62. Bolt Action AR

- Theodore Roosevelt

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I like the Magpul k grip but it has no storage, if that's something your looking for. The k grip is made more for the SBR rifle or pistols.

There's no true "bolt action" in any other caliber other than the 50 you've seen. This is why I went with the troy PAR, pump action.

mike

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
When I look at grips I look at grip angle as much or more than anything else. Some are like a luger and some are like a 1911, and I prefer a more vertical grip. I ordered the Mission First Tactical Engage with my lpk from Tom's Tactical as it was the most vertical option they had to offer. Will know more when it arrives.

thumbup Rod

posted Hide Post
a site called Slickguns.com has a lot of information.

Posts: 427 | Location: Stone Mtn Ga | Registered: February 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Lone Hunter
posted Hide Post
I ordered a trigger and 2 mags from PSA Sunday night. They finally shipped it out today. Seems like along time from placing the order to shipping out order. Obama's been doing his best to sell any and all gun related items. Maybe they are that busy!

How about charging handle's?

I understand that I don't want bottom dollar, but I have seen some that must be made of gold.

How about the side charging?

Anyone have one of those?

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Side charging uppers are big bucks.

Charging handles, any milspec unit will work. It's an item you can spend a ridiculous amount on, if you want. I like a particular model but it's bcuz I am left handed and want to be able to operate it a certain way. No need to go crazy on this part...

mike

posted Hide Post
A lot of good info here.

My 2cents

Go with a forward assist, especially if you hunt and reload. For hunting, Mike already stated the reason why (easing the bolt forward with the charging handle and then pushing the bolt home with the forward assist). For those who reload, every once in a while you have a piece of brass that is a bit oversized and being able to push it home with the forward assist is a plus.

For grips, I prefer Ergo grips. They fill my hand better and give me better trigger finger positioning. That being said, I have a bit larger hands and "piano fingers" (longer and slender). With standard MagPul grips, the natural position of my trigger finger is almost to my second knuckle.

One last thing to consider. If you ever plan to run the AR suppressed, you may want to consider installing an adjustable gas block now. I recommend the one from Anderson Arms. It is adjustable from the front, has solid detents, so you can count how many "clicks" open/closed instead of trying to count turns. It is also about $50 cheaper than other AGBs in its quality range.

Mike B.

1st Toadie and Captain of the Lemming Guard

Posts: 1628 | Location: Missouri | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post

Posts: 2068 | Location: Kasson MN | Registered: August 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've only had 1 issue with a charging handle breaking, from trying to extract a stuck case. Although on my last upper I put together just recently, I went with a BCM Mod 4, mainly because of the structural design. The design relieves the stress point on the pin. By the time I bought a charge handle and a extended release lever the price wasn't that bad. I ordered a A2 flash hider at same time and for the 2 it totaled at $56 and some change. Personal preference though.

Posts: 534 | Location: Wichita,Ks. | Registered: February 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Lone Hunter
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used the Swift Relia-Bolt? Relia-Bolt

Also like there 25-45 Sharps for hunting.

Are there other 25/223 out there?

Jeff

Picture of TScottW55
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Hunter:
Has anyone used the Swift Relia-Bolt? Relia-Bolt

Also like there 25-45 Sharps for hunting.

Are there other 25/223 out there?

Jeff

Quite a few wildcats for the AR on the 223 case; 20 Practical (20X45) , 6X45, 277 Wolverine (6.8X45), 6.5X45, etc. no experience with the relia-bolt but have read several bad reviews, FYI. I used a super bolt on my build from AR Performance.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Picture of Lone Hunter
posted Hide Post
I finally decided to put a psa-16stainless-freedom-upper

PSA CLASSIC M4 STOCK KIT

I have not shot it yet. Next is ammo and sites

Picture of Lone Hunter
posted Hide Post
What does everyone like in a sling?

Single or double?

If single, what are ones to avoid?

Jeff

posted Hide Post
Back in Jan, Mike B. advised the use of the F A to help seat a cartridge. I had an experience in which a round would not seat. After convincing myself that further efforts were futile, I took it home. I am glad I didn't force it any more. The previous round shed its neck and that was the cause of not chambering. I found it when I pushed a brush down the barrel.
SO----if it refuses to cooperate-----stop forcing it and find out why. You might also carry a rod and brush. rp

Posts: 427 | Location: Stone Mtn Ga | Registered: February 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post