Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x57 husky Login/Join 

Picture of tdoyka
posted
today, i ordered a husky 46 in 9.3x57 from simpsons.
https://www.simpsonltd.com/products/z24767

i know that i shouldn't customize 9.3x57, but i will. Red Face well, not customize but semi customize. i don't have the money because i'm disabled, it will be a long term project. the first thing i will do will be 9.3x57 hornady die set, 2 or 3 prvi 8x57 cases, lee universal neck die (it will be a cast boolit rifle), 9.3 case trimmer and brushes. next, i'll have it drilled and tapped for scope bases and put on a leopuld 3-9x(i have it). after that, i'm leaning towards a richards micro stock that will be a wolverine thumbhole or a wildcat style thumbhole stock( it will be a rh action and lh shooter). i'm also thinking that it should be a blue coral laminate stock. i'm undecided if i can 'glass bed the action and barrel. and finally the trigger should be a timney that goes around 3lbs. i'll have to wait to see or not.
http://www.rifle-stocks.com/

somewhere i'll have to size the bore and chamber. i'm thinking that it be 270-280gr boolit that goes about 1700-1800fps. the 9.3x57 will be my close in deer and black bear rifle.

i know i shouldn't have semi custom the rifle, but i will because i canWink

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS

Posts: 1580 | Location: windber, pa | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
it looks like you might have to either bend the bolt handle or it looks like it might have been tapped for a side scope mount already. you also might want to hold off on ordering a stock until you hold that stock up to your shoulder, nice trim stock and they point like a shotgun. just my two cents. nice find, good luck with your project.

---------------------------------
"All your skill is to no avail when an Angel ****es in your touch hole". :Old German hunters quote.

Posts: 157 | Location: Troy, MT | Registered: September 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
well it came today and all i got to say is WOW!!!!

i'll say to Simpson's, thank you very much!!!! this is my first husky and i'll be an repeat customer!!!

i went to the ffl guy to pick up my husky. he handed the husky to me(i had a stroke and my right arm/leg is only about 20% good) and the first thing that i noticed and said "this thing is light." the husky puts all its weight forward, which incidentally, i luv. the wood, while scratched and dinged, was great too. the barrel, except for the scratch, is great too. while i haven't done a thing, i was only concerned that Simpson says " The bore shows some light frost in the grooves", i'll be danged if i find it. the trigger is good, but it ain't a timney. and finally the action. it looks to me like was new. i can't find any scratches or dings on the action. all in all, thats the best $275 + shipping i spent.

i may not buy the Richards gunstock, but i will have to spend the money to d&t, safety and bending the bolt.

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS

Posts: 1580 | Location: windber, pa | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a set of dies, factory ammo ,bullet mold and loaded ammunition but no rifle for it. the caliber is 9.3X72R my guess would be a drilling type gun but I am not familiar with that caliber.

Posts: 3520 | Location: South Texas | Registered: January 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim S.:
I have a set of dies, factory ammo ,bullet mold and loaded ammunition but no rifle for it. the caliber is 9.3X72R my guess would be a drilling type gun but I am not familiar with that caliber.

the 9.3x72R is something i don't know much about. the 9.3x62(.366" bullet) is something akin to a 35 whelen, i think.

i had a 7x57 custom mauser(my son has it) and i would kill deer almost regularly. a 139gr hornady fn(discontinued cry) and a charge of imr4350? or imr4320? at 2500-2600fps was my load.

i've been thinking of a 280gr-ish fn gc going about 1700-1800fps will take deer/black bear out to 150 yards(50 yards is more likely). i have slugged it and it is .3660". i have seen forster hp kits ( https://www.forsterproducts.co...hollow-pointer-kits/ ) and i've been thinking about 270gr speer or 286gr prvi. it would be devasting on deer.

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS

posted Hide Post
What a cool project. Enjoy!

Posts: 257 | Location: Central east coast Florida.  | Registered: November 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rooterpig:
What a cool project. Enjoy!

thanks!!!

next month, i'm going to get dies, 8x57 cases and either 270gr speer or 286gr prvi's. i think i will hp it, so i'll get a forster hp kit. since i have a can(1lb) of imr4895 and primers out the wazoo, i can shoot it, finally happy.

then, 2-3 months later, i will take it to a gunsmith who will d&t and "bend" the bolt handle. he will, most likely, take the 3 position safety and make it 2 position.

when the 9.3 comes back to me, 2 or 3 months i'll mount a scope on it. then(i'm saying that alot!!!) it will probably be a richard's stock. after that nuts, the 9.3 will be cast boolit rifle, so then i'll have to decide what mold and from whom.

it will probably be next year till i take her out hunting. i've been thinking about a simpson's remington rolling block(1867) to customize the barrel.

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS

Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
this week i got my 8x57 brass and 285gr prvi's and a hornady die 9.3x57. the hornady die does have a "new fangled tapered expander balls." so i spayed lube the 8x57 cases and the fl sizing die. when the 8x57's were done drying, then i lube up the inside neck, i was using lanolin paste/wax/anhydrous(don't know, but its like vasoline). then i'd take the cases into a 9.3x57 fl sizing die, it would be 2 - 3 times(upstroke) till the 8mm was upsized to 9.3mm.

next it was the wet tumbler drying. when the new 9.3x57 was dry, i trimmed and deburred them(2.215", they were 2.220"). i know that the norma 9.3x57 cases are 2.240" but my cases(8x57) are .025" smaller. not enough to worry about.

i took a case and a bullet and put them in a bullet seater die. i seated the bullet about a 1/8" into the case. next i took the rifle out and put the dummy round in. twice!!!! the dummy round only pushed the bullet about 1/8" in(about 1/4"). my magazine will have nothing to do with the 9.3x57 because of its length (it don't fit, 3 3/4"). too much free bore, i think. i then began to seat the bullet (magazine length). i did seat it to the magazine length, but i seated the bullet deeper, about a 1/8", (3.115") to give room.

tomorrow or monday, i'll load 20 of the 9.3x57 to 40.0gr of imr4895 and 285gr prvi to fireform them.

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS

Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
i fire formed 8x57 prvi to 9.3x57 prvi. all i did was take the 8x57 and i resized(hornady fl die, i only did the neck of the case, i left about 1/8" gap between the die and the shell holder) it to 9.3x57. to fire form the 9.3x57 i put in the primer, put in the charge and i topped it off with a bullet. (i'm going layman here) then i fired it. the charges were 42.0gr, 43.0gr, 43.5gr, 44.0gr and 44.5gr of imr4895/ 285gr prvi rn.

left case IS NOT fire formed, right case IS fire formed

5 fire formed cases

resized cases

i could find no pushed out primers or soot on the cases. the shoulder of cases was pushed back and formed.

case measurement(avg. COL)
not fire formed - 2.215" COL

fire formed - 2.218" COL

fire formed and resized - 2.222" COL

in fire forming my cases(42.0-44.5gr of imr4895) i did expect the 9.3 to "kick". it was more along the lines of a "push". (kick-now and a push-it will get there, eventuallyBig Grin). i'd say the 9.3x57 is like your 30-06(7.5lbs) and 180gr bullet. i didn't get the accuracy or the fps, i was just shooting at the middle of target stand. from info i gathered, i could go up the charge(imr4895) about a 1 or 2, but i'll be cautious of it. ummmm i know this isa dumb question but.....what about rel7? i have many pounds(also 2400) of it or would i be best to let cast boolits deal with it?

next year the 9.3x57 will be a cast boolit gun. i'm figuring on a 270-280gr fn gc that goes about 1700-1800fps.

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS