Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Large Frame AR build... Login/Join 

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted
Ok, as of last weekend I've collected the final part needed, the bcg(not pictured, should arrive this week) to begin this build!

The list:
- Spikes billet receivers, "The Jack"
- Midwest Industries MLOK Handguard
- Raptor change handle
- Ballistics Advantage 308 Winchester 20" heavy stainless barrel w/pinned gas block, melonite gas tube and nib bcg
- BCM AR-10 rifle buffer tube assembly
- Magpul PRS stock
- Spikes "Jack" lower parts kit w/pistol grip
- Timney Calvin Elite AR15 trigger
- Noveske/Magpul 60° Ambi safety
- American Defense QD mount
- Leupold MK4 4.5-14

One things for sure, this was a lesson in learning. Unlike an AR15 where everything AR15 is AR15, there's several different patterns, AR-10, DPMS/SR25, and others, that make pieces/part selection a bit of a challenge. The Jack uses an AR15 trigger, DPMS "high" format handguards, DPMS barrel nut while the rear of the receiver is patterned after AR-10.

I'm hoping to have time to assemble the lower this week while I wait on the bcg to arrive. I'm starting to get excited about getting it assembled! Smile

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18878 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
HECK YEAH!!! This is gonna be an epic build!!!

CW
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!

www.codyweiser.com

- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -

Posts: 1226 | Location: SHINER, TX | Registered: September 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cody, this is one I've been looking forward to for months! In reality, years! I've had a few 308 ARs but none that really were what I wanted, they all were a compromise. Now that we can use semi autos in PA for some hunting, I had the excuse to move forward.

I forgot one of my key components of this build. All parts were either bought on sale or significantly below normal pricing and, where possible, free shipping. A lot of the large frame parts are significantly more than their AR15 counterparts and I wanted to keep the financial burden too a minimum. laugh

Only one part that I ordered wrong, the Raptor charge handle. I thought I ordered the SD version and upon arrival I find I did not. Sad The SD model is supposed to redirect excess gas down and out the button of the action. I really wanted that feature as I'll likely only shoot this gun suppressed. I can always pick one up later if I find this to be an issue.

If all goes well today, I'll assemble the lower tonight. Wink

mike

Posts: 18878 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nice! I look forward to seeing the gun.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1519 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see this one Mike!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2360 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Tonight's progress!

Everything went together easily. That Timney trigger is impressive! Looking forward to dropping that hammer on a live round! Smile

mike

Picture of Jeff B.
posted Hide Post
The "Jack", you dog! I am just waiting on a replacement barrel to complete my AR10 as well. I went with the Hiperfire Eclipse trigger. Gonna do any cerakoting?

Posts: 9657 | Location: Ephrata, PA, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Looking good Mike!

Someday if you really want to have some fun, drop a Franklin Armory BFS III trigger in there. Trigger pull won't be as good as a Timney, but you won't notice when running it in the binary mode. Big Grin

Posts: 506 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff B.:
The "Jack", you dog! I am just waiting on a replacement barrel to complete my AR10 as well. I went with the Hiperfire Eclipse trigger. Gonna do any cerakoting?
Yea, liked your build so much I decided to go that route for this rifle. No painting, I prefer black as much as Jack looks good with some highlights. You building a Jack large frame?

Redhaven, thanks! This build is a precision rifle. The only way it'll see rapid fire is for a quick follow-up shot. Years ago I used to compete with an AR15, I got in plenty of "hosing" in those matches. Wink

mike

Picture of Jeff B.
posted Hide Post
No Jack, although I did look long and hard at them.
I went with a company out of Florida called Live Free Armory for the billet set. They also sell Ballistic Adv. barrels so I Got a 20" premium barrel as well as their hand guard.

Posts: 9657 | Location: Ephrata, PA, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Did you got with the 20" rifle gas heavy barrel?

mike

Picture of Jeff B.
posted Hide Post
Yes

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Tis done!

Next, range visit!

Edit: it weighs just less than 16lb with my SpecWar762. It's a heavy beast! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Magnum Mike,

mike

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Oh are you going to have fun with that one Mike!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2360 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Jeff B.
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice job Mike! I am thinking about a bipod, what is the one you have mounted?

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Jeff, Harris, for serious work, that's all I use. I have some others but they don't hold a candle to the Harris brand in quality, mounting or use.

mike