Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Creedmoor vs 260 Remington Login/Join 

rooooogar lover

Picture of magman
posted
I've been seeing alot of 6.5 Creedmoor stuff lately and was wondering what the diiference was between that and the 260 Remington? Seems like the numbers are about the same.

Any thought?

Tim
------------------------------

NRA PATRIOT Life Member

Posts: 6804 | Location: Western NY | Registered: May 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Dekker
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 Creedmoor and the 260 Rem. are so close in performance that component availability in my book swings the scale in favor of the 260 Rem.
Also the 260 Rem. is available in Lapua brass and the 6.5 Creedmoor isn't.
You could also throw in the 6.5x47 Lapua and give the 260 Rem. a run for its money.
Just my two cents.

Posts: 2329 | Location: Illinois / USA | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I like the more unusual cartridges and have a 6.5 Creedmoor. I think everyone should buy a .260 Remington.

Posts: 259 | Location: Berwick, PA | Registered: August 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
i luv my 16 1/4" 6.5 creedmoor encore rifle barrel!!! 120 grain amax 1/2" groups with a wad of imr4350 thrown in, and 120 grain ballistic tips i have to load for it. i can't wait for deer season. i........ oh sorry, the ballistics are pretty much the same, but its real tough not to sell the creedmoor, it comes in hornady and nosler(remington? Confusedi think rem makes it for nosler ) brass, and i'm not sure which rifles are chambered for it.(mgm barrels does Cool)
if you like standard calibers in standard rifles, choose the 260 rem. you'll probably fall in love with it. if you don't the creedmoor is the way to go!!!!

flag

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS

Posts: 1580 | Location: windber, pa | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

rooooogar lover

Picture of magman
posted Hide Post
Not really interested in standard stuff. The creedmoor can be easily formed from 22-250 brass. Also the Creedmoor seems to be chambered in some interesting rifles. The 260 not so much.

Tim

NRA PATRIOT Life Member

Posts: 6804 | Location: Western NY | Registered: May 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
i didn't know it could be chambered in the 22-250, and i bought all my 200rounds hornady brass. i know of encore,savages and rugers (esp the #1, luv them) , but what else? interested, but not enough to buy another, unless its a ruger #1 thumbup

flag

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS

Posts: 1580 | Location: windber, pa | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Dekker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by magman:
Not really interested in standard stuff. The creedmoor can be easily formed from 22-250 brass. Also the Creedmoor seems to be chambered in some interesting rifles. The 260 not so much.

Seems you already had your mind made up before you asked the question.

Posts: 2329 | Location: Illinois / USA | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

rooooogar lover

Picture of magman
posted Hide Post
Not really. Just looking for input from people who have more experience with these than me. I really don't need anymore 6.5s, but they are soooo interesting.

Tim

NRA PATRIOT Life Member

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
quote:
The creedmoor can be easily formed from 22-250 brass

I tried using 22-250 brass, after fire forming you will end up with cases with a very short neck. I'm using Hornady brass and have had good luck with it.

Glenn

“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3472 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
ONLY my 2 cents, based on what I look at with any round and about half the reason I like wildcats.

The Creedmoor has:

A longer neck (preferred by some)
Sharper shoulder (")

and is shorter by a bit with less of the longer bullets down in the powder column area

Important things to some, not so for others.

Most hunters (and game animal) wouldn't know the difference. Built in a bench gun with appropriate throat and loaded single round only....eh. Toss up, but the longer neck and sharper shoulder of the Creedmoor still gets my nod. After all......it was built FOR such but has other uses.

The 260 needs no one to hold it up in credibility for a great round but the Creedmoor is (getting closer) to what a perfectly formed case is IMHO.

Just about all "short action" rounds are "too long" IMO if planning to use higher BC bullets AND put them in the magazine.

again......just my 2 cents. Lots wont agree and that is expected.

God Bless

thanks and
God Bless!
Steve

Posts: 81 | Location: N. IN. | Registered: February 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a 260 Remington in a 18in Savage Striker with a 8 twist and like it a lot. I can shoot the Berger 140gr high BC bullets for long distance (1200yd) at paper or steel and they preform very good. But after comparing it to a 260Remington Imp in rifle length barrels I would probably go that way the next time I re-barrel. I have chronograph another persons 260 Imp gun and I am impressed. It compares with 6.5-284 and 260 Mag in speed accuracy and performance. Also the sharp shoulder on the IMP version has less problems with donuts and case growing in a 260 Remington. Jack

Posts: 157 | Location: Washington State | Registered: August 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The 260 is a great cartridge for general non-competitive target shooting and it truly excels in hunting but it has always come up short of performance in competition.

The 6.5 Creedmoor has truly proven itself as a great cartridge for competition, however many shooters have moved away from it due to a lack of quality brass, the guys that have quite using the Creedmoor have switched to the cartridge below.

The 6.5X47 Lapua is one of the top rated benchrest cartridges today and is blessed with near perfect brass and fantastic ballistics along with a long barrel life.

If I was building a new XP-100 on a 7-Fingers chassis I would seriously consider the 6.5X47L over the other two

Posts: 1150 | Location: California | Registered: November 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
i never moved away from the 6.5 creedmoor. its always been a hunting gun. with 120gr ballistic tip, a charge of superperforance, a hornady case, and a encore with a 16 1/4" mgm factory heavy barrel it shoots .3" at 100 yards. i never got into competion shooting. all my guns are for hunting. the lever actions, not withstanding, can group less the 1", many less than that. if you use it, shoot accurtly, for competion or for hunting, use it. my 444 marlin, whenever mgm gets it, and my 22-250ai, when i get the money, i will shoot and use them for groundhogs to deer.

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS

Picture of chas3stix
posted Hide Post
My three reasons for shooting the 6.5Creedmoor:
1.It's pretty darn accurate right out of the box.
2.It's easy on barrels.
3. It's easy on my surgically repaired shoulder.

---------------------------------
Patron/ Life NRA Member

Posts: 424 | Location: Henderson,Nevada | Registered: August 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The 6.5 Creedmoor case is the same length as the 30 T/C case as well. Might be a good case to make it from if one can find the 30 T/C case. I suspect that the 6.5 Creedmoor case is more abundant however.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1517 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've had my .260 for several years and have had ZERO problems with it on deer and smaller game. It is a light weight Browning rifle that is Much more accurate than any other rifle, that is NOT a bench gun, that I own. One of the guys at the range has both the Lapua and Creedmore. We have shot side by side at 200 yards and targets are about identical. We shot a few penetration tests for fun. The only differences were from the particular bullet used!
You pays Your money and pick one! There ain't much difference in them for hunting in the East!

Posts: 3978 | Location: home | Registered: November 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rog (Buttermilk421):
The 6.5 Creedmoor case is the same length as the 30 T/C case as well. Might be a good case to make it from if one can find the 30 T/C case. I suspect that the 6.5 Creedmoor case is more abundant however.

you can also use 22-250 brass, i never had one done this way(6.5cm) however. i always use 6.5 cm hornady brass.

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS

posted Hide Post
Looked at a Creedmoor back in the early summer. It started as an interesting round to me. But the more I looked at the data on the gun the more I realized that it did nothing a 270 didn't do better. Brass and loaded ammo was all Hornady. Every rifle I have seen has had a LONGER barrel.
The 260 is a heck of a round though. Most of the time it is in a short barrel/compact rifle like the Model 7, screaming for a SP application. I had a Striker in this and can say the 260 is very nice.
Another option to look at is the 6.5 Sweede. I still kick myself for leaving a Ruger 77MKII on a used rack in this several years ago. In a modern rifle, loaded with the newer bullets this round is very interesting. I have a friend that did a Savage on this and have seen him shoot cover leaf groups at 200 yards with it.
Ern

Posts: 885 | Location: Bristol, TN | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I have a penchant for liking anything 6.5, but for me, the Creedmoor is neither here nor there. For something more efficient than the .260, one could go with the 6.5 BR. For something milder, there's the venerable 6.5 JDJ and 6.5 x 30-30 IMP (6.5 BB Imp).

But the .260 can do anything you need. I was shooting one back when it was still known as the 6.5x.308 -- and when one had to go custom for dies. But it was worth it as my 14" bull-barreled XP was incredibly accurate and quite lethal on deer and hogs. In rifles, it was even more of a good thing. ANd the same load I used in my XP -- a 120 grain Nosler teamed with H4350 -- also proved to be an exceptional shooter in every long gun I tried it in.

I still have a .260. It's a 1:9, 25" MGM Encore barrel. With a modest load of 44.5 grains of Re-19 under a 140 grain Partition, it easily keeps 3 shots inside of an inch -- at 200 yards, that is. WIth a slightly-weighted buttstock (to deal with neuropathy and polyarthralgia issues), the recoil is absolutely negligible. I no longer have a chronograph, but trajectories tell me this load is in the 2650 fps range -- more than enough to take care of anything I may ever want to put a bullet into.

As to the bullet choice, no, I don't need a 140 grain Partition for the deer and hogs that roam the area. But they shot even better than the 120 grain Ballistic Tips (and those shot very well), and I found a nice deal on a big batch of 2nds, so I am set for a long, long time. ANd I know from experience that the soft nose of that streamlined 140 grainer will open on soft tissue, do plenty of damage and continue to plow through organs, muscle and bone -- and still likely exit.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 3820 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
is there anything these cartridges can't do?! laugh

i have to say for deer, the 6.5(creedmoor, remington, winchester, etc..) is really hard to beat them.

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Lost in all of this is the 6.5x55. Sure love that one. Had a number of them over the years and took a few dozen hogs with them.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 3820 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
Bobby, you are so right. The 6.5 x 55 is one of the finest game cartridges to ever grace this planet. You know what they say "imitation is the most sincere form of flattery". A few years back, I vowed that the 6.5 x 55 was going to be my next pistol barrel, but these SSK 45/70s, Bullberry .35 Whelen Improveds, etc. keep getting in the way! Maybe in the Striker.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well this is an older thread.. but ill add to it... i researched them all before i did a custom build for a rifle i wanted... i settled on the 260. When it comes down to it the 260 had more pros than the others... the biggest being brass quality... quality components threw out the creedmore for me... then the 260 was faster than the 47 lapua. That said the 47 lapua is a bad ace round too...

so i built my custom 260 rifle.. chambered it in 260 tactical to run 140 bergers.. i had my defiance action mag well cut longer, then i take the front plate out of AI mags to seat the bullet a tad longer... well fellers i hate to brag but i ended up blowing the creedmoore and 47 lapua outta the water.. tack driving accuracy yes, they can all do it.. but with my 28 inch barrel i push 140 bergers at 2950 fps!!!!! Thats more along the lines of 6.5x284 performance... but with longer barrel life!!!

its made me happy... shoots amazing out long range... so i stand by the 260... if i was inside 1000 yards or meters, playing a shorter game of 600 or so i would vow for the 47 lapua...

imo opinion the creedmoore lacks in quality brass and thats about it... but thats enough for me to not do it..

Posts: 142 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Jumping onto this older threat... 260 Rem ammo is almost non-existant on dealer shelves today. Big box stores-never, small gun shops-almost never, bigger gunshops and places like Bass Pro Shop-sometimes. 6.5 Creedmore is popping up everywhere. 260 isn't even advertised by Prvi-Partizan anymore.

Posts: 19 | Location: SE USA | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Lapua now makes 6.5 Creedmoor brass with a small primer pocket.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
SEB Coaxial Front Rest - Dealer
http://sebrests-usa.com/
http://bulletin.accurateshoote...ld-test-by-sam-hall/
SP's by Mac's Gunworks, H-S Precision, Holland's, Aaron Alexander, Chris Rhodes, & Nine Run Gun

Posts: 11686 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post