Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range Day with Apache 270 Win Login/Join 

Picture of Grendel99
posted
As deer season has already started this year in my area, I had to make some range time to get a few loads dialed in. At the end of last year I received my first custom rifle, a Remington 700 in 270 Win worked over by Steve Roe at Apache Machine & Custom. The rifle itself is special to me, not just because of the magic Steve Roe put into it, but because it was my Dad's favorite rifle before I took ownership of it after his passing. It started life as a stock stainless Remington 700. Honestly I can't even remember what it looked like in stock form as my Dad didn't keep it that way for long. He sent it to Brown Precision in the mid 90's to be installed in one of their fiberglass stocks, had the barrel cut back to 20 inches, trigger job, and all the metal coated in some kind of black finish. My Dad took it to Canada where he shot the biggest buck of his life with it, Nebraska on a mule deer hunt, and shot countless deer with it here in SC including the last deer he ever shot. After I inherited it a few years ago, I hunted with it some and shot a couple deer with it. I was never a fan of the short skinny barrel but didn't want to change it too much.

After hearing so many good things about Steve Roe at Apache on this forum and talking with Dur (SChunter), I contacted Steve. A Kreiger barrel in .277 Remington Varmint Contour was ordered along with a PTG recoil lug and arrangements were made to get the rifle to Steve. After what seemed like forever, the barrel finally came in. When all was said and done, this is what I received and couldn't be happier!

-Kreiger Barrel, Rem Varmint countour, chambered in 270 Win, 24" + Ross Brake
-Trued receiver and bolt
-Pinned recoil lug
-Fluted barrel
-Bead blasted barrel
-Pillar & devcon bedded action
-New extractor
All the dings, scratches, and wear from use on the stock and action that my Dad put there were left as is.

I received the rifle at the end of last deer season and was only able to hunt with it a few times and was unable to find a willing participant. I have shot it a couple times before this point at the range but this was my best session with it so far. I loaded up some 130gr Nosler AccuBonds and 130gr Hornady InterBonds. All are 3 shot groups (except the first) at 100 yards off a bench.

Very first group of the day with 130gr InterBonds and H4831 with a called flyer that spoiled the group.

Next group with same load.

Worst group the rifle has shot so far was with 130gr InterBonds and RL22.

The best group of the day and the best group I think I've ever shot with anything. 130gr AccuBonds & Ramshot Hunter.

I'll be hunting with the InterBond load because I don't have any more of the AccuBonds currently loaded and have never used the InterBonds and want to see how they will do.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Grendel99,

Posts: 960 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: June 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That turned out real nice.
I got stuck in a rut with 4831. The year before last I went with Reloader 26 and a 150 SST, it thinks it is a 7mag now. I was not going to get caught like I did with AA3100 getting discontinued. Buddy played with what I had left of a pound a was very happy, so we split an 8lb jug.
Jeff

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2730 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Grendel99
posted Hide Post
On a side note, anyone know a site where I can post the pics? Google Images won't allow you to post more than the links.

Posts: 960 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: June 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Cisco
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2234 | Location: S Ms | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Cisco
posted Hide Post
Here you go............

http://tinypic.com/index.php

Posts: 2234 | Location: S Ms | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Grendel99
posted Hide Post
Thanks cisco, I'll get the pics setup once I get off work.

The scope is a Swarovski 3-12x56 (also was my Dad's) in a DNZ one piece mount.

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
That's a great looking rifle!!!!

Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2389 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Grendel99
posted Hide Post
Finally got the pics figured out, thanks again Cisco.

Taking this rifle to the deer woods this weekend. Firearm opener is September 1st in my game zone.

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I talked with Steve about an hour this last Sunday about a build. I had been looking for a good Remington rifle for a build and he told me what I should be looking for. I'm going with a .284 in about a 24" Varmint contour, with break in black matte or tan. I'm looking at some stocks now from HS Precision and McMillan.
Can't wait to get my parts and send to him.

Mike

: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Posts: 2876 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Grendel99
posted Hide Post
Should be awesome! You'll definitely have to post pics & range report when you get it. Whenever I get an XP, it's going to him.

posted Hide Post
G99,

Beautiful gun and she shoots as good as she looks! Your Dad would be proud...

Congratulations and can't wait to see how she performs in the field this year.

Posts: 604 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: December 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post