Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR10 build.....help needed. (PROBLEM solved) Login/Join 

Picture of Jeff B.
posted
Ok, so I finally got mine done, but have a problem that I do not know how to rectify myself!

The bolt closes and turns on an empty chamber no problem, but with an empty case or a dummy round it does not close all the way! Yes, all cases are to spec. It is a Ballistic Advantage Premium barrel, and guarantees sub moa with match ammo. Even though it will not close all the way, it will grab the case and extract it when I pull on the charging handle. I am about ready to actually cut a case in half and see what happens. When I drop in an empty round, or a dummy round, they fall right out.
I am using a mil spec carbine buffer tube with a Strike flat spring along with a Spike's T2 buffer.
The bolt I am using is aftermarket and it rotates freely. It is fully oiled as well.

Chime in with some ideas please.

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jeff B.,

Posts: 9657 | Location: Ephrata, PA, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
With 308 AR build you have to match the bolt to the barrel extension. Sounds like you have an AR10 bolt and the BA barrel is DPMS. Check with the mfg of the bolt, it's probably AR10 and not DPMS pattern....

Btw, you can order just the bolt directly from BA to match your barrel.

Phosphate > http://ballisticadvantage.com/308-bolt-phosphate.html
NiB > http://ballisticadvantage.com/308-bolt-nib.html

As a side note, if it I'd mismatched, be glad you didn't fire it as it could have excessive headspace.

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18878 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Jeff B.
posted Hide Post
I did cut a case in half and it went in further. Too far actually as there was not enuff sticking out for the bolt to grab. Should I look for a .308 go/no go gauge?

Posts: 9657 | Location: Ephrata, PA, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Is your bolt AR10 or DPMS format?

mike

Posts: 18878 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Jeff B.
posted Hide Post
Here is the bcg from Gunbroker...

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/633217524

Looks like it is DPMS.

Picture of Jeff B.
posted Hide Post
BTW, I could not fire it if I wanted to. The bolt does not close all the way.

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I see the mention near the bottom of dpms but i'm still thinking its a compatibility issue.

What sizing die are you using? Is it a 1/4 - 1/2 turn beyond touching to full length size?

mike

Picture of Jeff B.
posted Hide Post
Ribs die, but just till it touches. I am gonna try some things tonite.

Picture of Jeff B.
posted Hide Post
Mike asked if I had the f/l die set to cam over, I did not. So, set it to cam over hard and did some cases....10. 5 functioned flawlessly and the other five had to be yanked out. Took a couple thousands off the shell holder and reset the die to cam over hard again.

Thanks Mike thumbup