Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 SOCOM! Login/Join 

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted
IT'S DONE!

Build list:
Spikes Spartan lower w/Aero lpk
Noveske Rifleworks/Magpul ambi 60° safety
Magpul Industries Corp. Moe K SL grip
Aero bta
Mission First Tactical Minimalist stock
Timney Triggers Competition 3# straight trigger
Aero Precision 458 SOCOM upper
Midwest Industries, Inc. Gen 3 15" m-lok handguard
KAK bcg
KAK 16" barrel
Raptor charge handle
SilencerCo ASR brake
Aero Ultra Light mount 1"
Leupold Optics VX-3 1.75-6
Silencerco Hybrid (not shown)

I plan on trying to develop a load with my 405 PC cast bullets, running pretty hard! devil I'm also going to try the 600s I got from Adam, subsonic of course. Wink

Posts: 18877 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
Niiiiiice

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6373 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Dekker
posted Hide Post
Congrats!...that rig will make for a nice thumper.

Posts: 2330 | Location: Illinois / USA | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Yesssss!!!!! Congrats I will also be putting together a 458 upper!!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2359 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of snowsnake
posted Hide Post
Sweet looking rifle!

Posts: 216 | Location: S.W. VA | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Thank guys! It weighs 7lb 4oz as shown, it's definitely going to be a thumper! laugh

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18877 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
very nice Mike that's gonna be a thumper for sure. I used Aero upper/lower to build my AR10.

Albert
Life Member NRA

Posts: 10174 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TScottW55
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I’ve debated building one before, something about a big thumper, AE.

Congratulations!

----------------------------------
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

- Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 186 | Location: Roanoke, VA | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Got my first rounds loaded the other night. If all goes well, it'll get a few through it this weekend. Wink

mike

Picture of Lone Hunter
posted Hide Post
Any updates Mike? What twist and Gas System Length is your barrel?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities. - Prentice Ritter, Broken Trail 2006

Posts: 3520 | Location: Smithfield,NC | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Carbine gas, 14 twist, iirc. That KAK barrel was super inexpensive. I have less than the cost of most barrels in the barrel and bcg I got from KAK.

I've put a few rounds thru it, 300s, 405s & 600s, but haven't had much time to play so I've been collecting loading stuff for it. No accuracy testing, only function.

I found a safe load and did load up a bunch of the Barnes 600s I got from a member here. Not shot for groups yet, hopefully soon. Even subsonic, they thump! laugh

Picked up some Black Butterfly D600s that area made, by Hawk, specifically for the SOCOM so they'll expand at subsonic speeds. Figure I'll work that load out, subsonic, and start looking for a woodchuck or coyote that wants to be test medium.

Also picked up some of the 300 grain Nosler Combined Technology bullets, seconds, that I plan to run FAST. Figure that bullet is a solid 200 yard big game round.

And, as if that's not enough, I bought two Saeco molds, a 405 & 500 grain (plain base, that I'll powder coat) that I plan to run super and subsonic, respectively. These will primarily be plinkers but may find their way into a field after a 'chuck. Wink

mike

Picture of Lone Hunter
posted Hide Post
Mike,Thanks for the reply. Still thinking about putting one together.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities. - Prentice Ritter, Broken Trail 2006

Posts: 3520 | Location: Smithfield,NC | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I enjoy building them, from creating the parts list to final assembly, as much as shooting them! If all goes well, I should be able get it sighted in this weekend but I'm not holding my breath. Wink

mike

Picture of Lone Hunter
posted Hide Post
Any updates Mike?