Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.458 SOCOM or 450 Bushmaster Login/Join 

Picture of Lone Hunter
posted
Thinking of 458 SOCOM or 450 Bushmaster for hunting deer with my AR. Pistol or rifle. Does anyone recommend one over the other?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,Jeff

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities. - Prentice Ritter, Broken Trail 2006

Posts: 3520 | Location: Smithfield,NC | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
All things being equal I believe that there are a lot more ammo options for the .458 socom. Maybe something to think about.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2358 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
My vote is for the 450BM, as I have lots of .452" bullets.

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6373 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Bottleneck (.458" bullets) or straight wall (.452" bullets)? That's the primary differences between the two. I've been kicking the two around myself but have yet to make a decision. From what I've read they both need an upper with an enlarged ejection port but they are available from numerous makers as are bolts...

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18875 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
From what I've read they both need an upper with an enlarged ejection port

Not sure about the Socom, but you can enlarge the port on any receiver with a dremel for the BM. There is a thread on it over at ARFCom

thumbup Rod
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6373 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Lone Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I will need to do more research.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities. - Prentice Ritter, Broken Trail 2006

Posts: 3520 | Location: Smithfield,NC | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to reading the consensus of your research. I'm torn as to which direction I'd go if I were you...

mike

Posts: 18875 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of grampajim222
posted Hide Post
458 socom. much better bullet selection and heavier bullets for subsonic. I have one I am putting together now, just waiting on parts. good luck either way jim

Posts: 22 | Location: north east Pa | Registered: May 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Socom for bullet selection. X2.

Posts: 92 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: November 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Jeff, did you make a decision?

The more I think about this dilemma, the more I'm leaning toward the SOCOM. My personal desire for this cartridge would be toward heavy bullets, sub and super sonic, and the SOCOM's .458" diameter definitely has the advantage.

While the Bushmaster is a basically a straight wall case, carbide sizers do not exist giving neither the advantage from the loading standpoint. The only sight advantage in loadability goes to the Bushmaster in that you would not have to deal with bumping the shoulder back.

I've not done a lot of homework in magazine compatibility but I believe plenty of viable options exist for both.

Already having an SBR receiver, I'm also on the fence as to barrel length. Based on the recoil I've read about, I'm not sure I'd want to build one as an AR15 pistol. Shouldering a pistol brace with this level of recoil might be a bit rough.

Either would make great hog/deer medicine. Wink

mike

Picture of snowsnake
posted Hide Post
Looks like Wilson Combat is getting in the act too, AR 10 platform https://www.youtube.com/watch?...7b&mc_eid=b6f49dd2dc

Posts: 216 | Location: S.W. VA | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I kinda went of over the cliff last night. I've been seriously pondering this build for several weeks now and last night, after some additional research, I went SOCOM. Between the heavy bullet option, the use of factory 5.56 mags and Starline brass, it made an easy decision for me.

Wilson's new platform/cartridge is like a SOCOM Magnum in a hybrid AR15 lower/AR10 upper. It's got several hundred fps on the SOCOM with similar bullet weights. But, it's REALLY pricey! I'm using premium parts and I'll have 1/3 what that Wilson costs!

mike