Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

32-20, in a lever gun, for silhouettes... Login/Join 

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted
Looking for experience(s) from the group on shooting silhouettes with a Marlin lever in 32-20. Favorite cast bullet/loads, sight set ups, etc...

Thanks!

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18875 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Mike what kind of distance and size are the targets you plan on shooting? I love my Marlin 32-20 but not sure I would use it much past 50yds where tiny groups would be required. No help on the cast been shooting 85gr Hornady XTP loaded ammo I got a great deal on. May try some cast after it's gone but that may be a while.

Rick

Posts: 2984 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
It's standard field pistol targets/distances, 25, 50, 75 & 100. I'm going to scope the gun initially for accuracy testing then going to a Lyman globe and Williams rear.

mike

Posts: 18875 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I found out Friday they also shoot lever gun rimfire. So I've dusted off the old Marlin 39A and ordered up sights for it too. I'll have a couple guns to shoot at their steel now. Smile

mike

posted Hide Post
Mike I have run thousands of rounds down range in 32-20/30-20 pistols. Problem being is all of mine will be way over OAL of what will work in the lever gun. I doubt even my Buckeye wheel gun loads would feed as it is a custom 140 plain base that fill the cylinder.

If you have one of the 30 carbine molds, I have had good results with it, if it will feed.

For soft loads I did some extrapolation using 32 long data.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2718 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FyrepowrX
posted Hide Post
Mike...some data from an article Brian Pearce published a while back....i also have some more articles, will get those uploaded. I have 32/20 contenders in 10" & 20" barrels, have found these to be of use:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FyrepowrX,

=================================

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
Groucho Marx

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”
Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Posts: 7213 | Location: North-Eastern Oklahoma | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Thanks G, really appreciate that!

mike