Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifles Login/Join 

posted
I've never owned one but was very close to trading several guns for a beautiful Merkel .308 Win. The gun is worth about $7k. It's not that I need a double rifle but it's just an itch I've never scratched.

So I'm asking for opinions: Are they worth the price?

====================

"Preach the Gospel. Even use words if you have to."

Posts: 1895 | Location: SW MO | Registered: November 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The double rifle fans will tell you they are the best thing since sliced bread (except they are older than sliced bread). They seem to be part of a grand and expensive tradition that you either love or hate. I have always had trouble getting past the fact that most of them look too much like the old cheap poorly made double shotgun that I grew up hunting with and never liked. I still have it but have not shot it in 30ish years. As a complete hypocrite, once upon a time I fell in love with a lovely little slim and trim Italian hammer double 20 bore rifle. It's one of my favorite rifles that I never shoot. There are several internet forums that focus on double rifles with some of the worlds most knowledgable builders and users participating. I can email some names if you want.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Missouri | Registered: December 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
I'd love to have one, but not in 308.

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6373 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
The double rifle fans will tell you they are the best thing since sliced bread (except they are older than sliced bread). They seem to be part of a grand and expensive tradition that you either love or hate. I have always had trouble getting past the fact that most of them look too much like the old cheap poorly made double shotgun that I grew up hunting with and never liked. I still have it but have not shot it in 30ish years. As a complete hypocrite, once upon a time I fell in love with a lovely little slim and trim Italian hammer double 20 bore rifle. It's one of my favorite rifles that I never shoot. There are several internet forums that focus on double rifles with some of the worlds most knowledgable builders and users participating. I can email some names if you want.

I've looked at a few sites but would appreciate the information. Never really entertained the idea of a double rifle until this trade almost fell in my lap. Seems like a lot of money for a gun that isn't all that accurate and that I'd be afraid to scratch while hunting.

Just looking for opinions.

====================

Posts: 1895 | Location: SW MO | Registered: November 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd love to have one, but not in 308.

I get that but a 500 NE express is a bit much for anything I'll see in Missouri and I'm getting too old for the recoil. Thinking 7x57, 300 H&H, or 375 H&H would be fun to have.

====================

posted Hide Post
A 308 double is a great gun for deer and hogs at reasonable ranges.
I have two Baikal (the ugly Russian guns) one in 30-06 over under the other 45/70 side by side. Where I hunt 50 yards is a long shot and I like them.

M

Posts: 264 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
I have two Baikal (the ugly Russian guns) one in 30-06 over under the other 45/70 side by side. Where I hunt 50 yards is a long shot and I like them.

A buddy of mine has the Remington Baikal .45-70 that I've shot. Kind of neat but I didn't like the trigger pull. He calls me a trigger snob is probably right.

====================

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jakerudy:
quote:

A buddy of mine has the Remington Baikal .45-70 that I've shot. Kind of neat but I didn't like the trigger pull. He calls me a trigger snob is probably right.

You are correct, the triggers truly suck. I have not tried to improve the pull because if I mess something up there are no parts.
I practiced till I got used to it, like if you're kicked in the head enough it's not so bad.

M

Posts: 264 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never owned one but was very close to trading several guns for a beautiful Merkel .308 Win. The gun is worth about $7k. It's not that I need a double rifle but it's just an itch I've never scratched.

So I'm asking for opinions: Are they worth the price?

I have never seen a Merkel double rifle but the best feeling shotgun I have ever handled was a Merkel 28 ga.
I'm not a big shotgun shooter but I still wish I would have had the 3 grand or so that it cost.

Bruce

Posts: 899 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
I have never seen a Merkel double rifle but the best feeling shotgun I have ever handled was a Merkel 28 ga.
I'm not a big shotgun shooter but I still wish I would have had the 3 grand or so that it cost.

I once held a $40k Purdy 20 ga at Jaqua's gun shop in Ohio. It was beautiful and just about disappeared in your hands. Way out of my league though.

====================

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I once held a $40k Purdy 20 ga at Jaqua's gun shop in Ohio. It was beautiful and just about disappeared in your hands. Way out of my league though.

I know nice doubles can go way for way more than the 3K of the Merkel I handled (oh and that was probably 20 years ago) but I would have probably declined to even hold that Purdy. eek2

Bruce

Posts: 899 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I had a uncle that brought home from WWII a Drilling. It had two side by side shotgun barrels I believe they were 12 but could have been 16 ga. It also had a 22 long rifle barrel I believe was on top between the shotgun barrels and then it had a 7x57 on the bottom between the shotgun barrels or vice versa. They covered about anything you would want to do with that thing.

Posts: 1070 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
I know nice doubles can go way for way more than the 3K of the Merkel I handled (oh and that was probably 20 years ago) but I would have probably declined to even hold that Purdy.

I'll admit that I puckered quite a bit but it was out on display and I just had to pick it up. Jaqua's had more high dollar guns that you could handle than any shop I've seen in one store.

So there are weather conditions when I won't take out a Ruger No. 1, Browning 1885, Citori, Winchester 101, etc. If I'm worried about those would a double rifle be a stupid purchase? On the other hand I'm not getting younger and am starting to care less about resale value for a hunting rifle.

So does the experience of hunting with a double rifle override the financial hit of wear and tear on the gun? I know it is a matter of opinion so am just asking what others think.

====================

posted Hide Post
I say if you can afford it and want it then go for it. I don't have any really high dollar firearms but a few nice ones. My Browning 1885 low wall hasn't seen but maybe 150 rounds or so the whole time have had it and has been sitting at a LGS on consignment since I sent my xp100 to Chris at BCG to turn into a .25 Creedmoor almost a year ago. I received the creed back in May. If the low wall doesn't move by the first of the year I'll just pick it up and put it back in the safe. (I hated the thought of letting it go anyway. ) The C Sharps hasn't seen the light of day in a few years now either. I just don't get a lot of range time and since getting into the specialty pistols the rifles just don't get invited to the dance very often.

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BruceP,

posted Hide Post
quote:
My Browning 1885 low wall hasn't seen but maybe 150 rounds or so the whole time have had it and has been sitting at a LGS on consignment

I've got a couple Low Walls and really like them. Nice looking and good shooters. The High Walls are nice also but I find them to be a little heavy to carry around.

What caliber is the one on consignment?

====================

posted Hide Post
My wife has commented more than once on how my choice in guns keeps getting more expensive Smile She's right!

Posts: 1470 | Location: Missouri | Registered: December 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife has commented more than once on how my choice in guns keeps getting more expensive She's right!

I used to work with a couple of guys who were good guys but the type that would gripe if you hung them with a new rope. Both owned around 40 - 50 guns and then would turn around and gripe about the price of higher end guns. I finally lost it and pointed out the obvious that they had just as much money tied up in guns - just more of them.

That has been my dilemma - putting a ding in a high dollar rifle when I could have used the stainless synthetic bolt gun. Is it worth it? After all you can only hunt one at a time.

====================

posted Hide Post
quote:

What caliber is the one on consignment?

It is a 22 Hornet.

Bruce

posted Hide Post
I've gotten more comfortable buying guns that I know I will never shoot much less hunt as well as being happy with fewer guns in order to get some of the more expensive ones I wanted. It sounds like you want to try the double so why not? The prices on double are "soft" right now so there are some really good buys on great guns.