Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 527 6.5 Grendel...should I get one? Login/Join 

posted
I was going to get a 6.5 Grendel barrel for my Encore, but decided that was to big of a platform for the Grendel, and the Contender isn't strong enough. I've always loved the CZ 527's and have been waiting to for them to chamber the Grendel, and now they have.

I have an antelope hunt coming up this fall, and I think it would be perfect for that. What do you guys think about the Grendel??

Posts: 506 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have just started playing with an AR in Grendel. Love it so far, but just barely playing with loads and suppressor.
The CZ would make an awesome platform for this round. I keep looking at the 527 in 7.62X 39. I really like the mini Mauser action.

kware

Posts: 178 | Location: Western Missouri | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I had an Encore in 6.5 Grendel and it was accurate but I think it would be a little light for an antelope ? just my opinion. 243 , while not as sexy, is a much superior round as is the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Posts: 3520 | Location: South Texas | Registered: January 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Redhaven,
I don't have a 6.5 Grendel and I've never hunted w/ one. Having said that, I've killed a bunch of deer and 2 pronghorn antelope w/ a 14" barreled 6.6 JDJ and 120 gr NBT's (mv 2400 fps). I found the round more than adequate for thta type of hunting. The ballistics for the Grendel and the JDJ are pretty similar. According to Hornady's load data their 123 gr SST gets 2350 fps in a 16" barrel and 2580 fps 24" barrel. As long as you use an appropriate bullet and keep your range reasonable, I'd think a 6.5 Grendel would be up to the task of killing pronghorn antelope.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1303 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Jim, I'm not really looking at the Grendel specific for antelope, just looking for a handy lightweight rifle, and the CZ 527 is that.

Gary, thanks for that info. That definitely helps. I've never been after antelope, but hoping to get well under 300yds before taking a shot.

Posts: 506 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FyrepowrX
posted Hide Post
i shoot the grendel in a 22" howa bolt gun; i think 300 yards would be doable...

have owned a few 527's in other calibers & they are nice rifles; i think that would make a good combo.

=================================

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
Groucho Marx

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”
Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Posts: 7213 | Location: North-Eastern Oklahoma | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
FyrepowrX how do you like your Howa Grendel? I had a Mini Action in .223 for awhile but was not a fan of the stock or magazine. It shot pretty well though.

Picture of FyrepowrX
posted Hide Post
Redhaven...i like the size & weight of the Howa mini's, have a 20" ltwt .223 & the 22" ltwt grendel, but the stock is one thing i would definitely change...too fat in the forend, and the grip angle is too steep for me at the wrist, i prefer a more open/slender grip. i will eventually probably pull the stock off there and attack it with a grinder & belt sander to slim it down & open the grip up, then do a home camo job on the stock after that.

the mag release was too light & if i bumped it at all, the mag dropped.....hoping howa decides to offer a BDL type floor plate as an option. i chopped the plastic mag-release lever in half with a dremel so it didnt stick out, & now it stays in place pretty well.

the grendel seems to like lightweight bullets in the 90/95/100 grain weight class, but did pretty fair with 120/123's also.

i stuck leupold 2x7's with ballistic-plex-style reticles on both and when the grendel is sighted at 100 yards with nosler 100gr BT's the first dot/holdover below the crosshairs is about dead on at 250, and the one below that is minute-of-coyote at about 325-ish yards...this is the one:

Ultimate Slam

have a bunch of buddies that shoot grendels in AR's; AR-Comp provided high accuracy & fast speeds; mine shot best with IMr-8208xbr .....

would like to hear how you like the CZ grendel if you get one, if they make a grendel in a flush-fit magazine i will probably be pretty tempted......

=================================

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
Groucho Marx

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”
Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Posts: 7213 | Location: North-Eastern Oklahoma | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
FyrepowrX, the mag release was the reason I ultimately let my Mini Howa .223 go. I didn't think about grinding down the mag release...which would have help a lot. I talked to the guy at Howa who is in charge of the gunsmith shop and product design I think is what he said, and he said he's been trying to figure out a better stock option, and I pestered him about a BDL floor plate option as well. If there was an aftermarket floor plate and stock option, I'd probably go the Mini Howa route, as I like that action a lot, and they generally shoot well. Sounds like you're little rifle is shooting pretty well.

I wish CZ had a flush-fit magazine as well, but I don't think we'll ever see that for the Grendel. I am leaning pretty heavy toward one, but will wait another month or so before jumping for one. Too busy at the moment to put a rifle through its paces anyway.

posted Hide Post
I do see Boyd's is now making a stock for the Mini...that might be a good option. If Howa had a 5-round mag for the Mini, I'd get one and put a Boyd's stock on it. More to think about now...