Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone shooting a .25-06 ? Login/Join 
R*I*P

posted
A couple weeks back I put a used Stevens Model 200 .25-06 with a 4x12x Bushnell Scope and Mounts on Lay a Way. The .25-06 is one cartridge I have never hunted with nor loaded for.

Larry

Posts: 1787 | Location: Rosholt South Dakota | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
i have one. 115gr nosler ballistic tip with a load of imr4350.
haven't shot anything yet. as a matter of fact, its for sale.

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS

Posts: 1580 | Location: windber, pa | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've had a couple of .25-06's in my younger years. Very easy to load for. I always hunted with 120 gr. Nosler Partition bullets. Light recoil with a flat trajectory, and it dropped game like a bad habit. Probably one of the best medium game rounds out there IMO.

-Mike

Posts: 2286 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Cisco
posted Hide Post
Have had several over past 15 yrs. Rem-700, Rooger #1, Browning SS Stalker. And 2 or 3 Encore barrels. Browning shot the best but it had a BOSS. SOON got tired of it and went to get it cut off and recrowned. Dang barrel galled when he went to remove it. Have tried 100 - 120 gr bullets and whatever powders I had that the book showed to use. All of em shot minute of deer but not MOA other than the Browning.

Posts: 2234 | Location: S Ms | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have hunted deer for 4 years with one and a brief change to 25-06 AI. The AI was way more than I needed, but it was fast. Went back to the regular 25-06 this year. My best hunting load now is 7828 sis with some 115 gr nosler partitions. They were a hammer. I previously experienced a lot of explosive results with game kings I also shot about 200 rounds at prairie dogs this year with it. Dogs were doing backs flips consistently. Needless to say I love the 25-06. A hammer on deer.

Posts: 363 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have been using the 25-06 for 21 years for white tail deer. I have killed deer with about everything from a stick up through the 45-70. For 15 years I did control hunting on a big farm in NC where my buddy and I had to take 100 deer a year of the farm. My buddy turned me onto the 25-06. I believe it is about the best caliber that I have ever used on deer. I have had three rifles. A Ruger 77 varmint barrel, a Rem. 700 Stainless and about 15 years ago I had a custom rifle built on a Rem. Sportsman 78 action (it is a Rem 700 action that was not engraved on the bolt knob and was not polished as well as the 700). I had it trued and put a #6 Shilen SS 26" barrel on it. It is in a HS Precision stock and has a Zeiss 30mm 3-12X56 Diavari scope in Leupold mounts. It is a tack driver. After MUCH experimenting with different bullets and loads I settled on 49 grs IMR 4350, Rem case, CCI 250 mag primer, 117 Sierra Pro Hunter flat base bullets. 3000 fps. THe flat base bullet shoot best in my rifle and it seems to be a little bit tougher bullet than the 117 Game King boat tail bullet for up close shots. If you put one in the shoulder of a deer out to 600 yards (so far)99% of the time it is bang flop. I sight my rifle in 3 inches high at 100 yards and I can hold in the center of a deers shoulder out to 350 yards and not worry about shooting over or under it. It will not rise or fall over 3 1/2 inches from point blank to 350 yards. The 115 ballistic tip and 115 partitions from Nosler are great bullets also as has been mentioned but the Sierra is cheaper and shoots bench rest rifle accurate in my rifle and really kills deer dead. The other standard load for the 25-06 that shoots well in almost any rifle is 52 grs H4831 with 115 to 120 gr bullets. With 100 gr bullets 52 grs IMR 4350 usually shoots really well.
The only problem with the Stevens 200 is the trigger. They usually have a heavy pull and can be gritty. Rifle Basix and Timney make triggers that are great and run $100 and are worth every cent. You have made a good choice in the 25-06.

Posts: 1070 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of skeeter
posted Hide Post
I have a cooper. Use Barnes 100 gr tSX. Deer go down well.

------------------------------
Life is just an continuous battle against decay.

Posts: 349 | Location: minnesota | Registered: October 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
R*I*P

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great info guys. I think I am really going to enjoy the .25-06. Besides it is always fun to try something new.

Larry

Posts: 1787 | Location: Rosholt South Dakota | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It is great. When I started deer hunting with my group they all laughed at me for using the baby cartridge, 25-06. Everyone must have a 308 or 30-06 with 180 gr bullets to kill deer I heard. Now, who is the guy that does no tracking for deer? ME!

Shot 1 I may revisit the flat base 117 gr again. They are more economical.

Posts: 363 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of varmint exterminator
posted Hide Post
thumbupHad a ruger no.1 in 25-06 and sold it like a fool.Was one the most accurate guns i have ever shot. Never shot anything with it. Sold it too soon.Wish I could get it back.

Thank-You Jesus for being there for me and my family in times of need.

Posts: 847 | Location: Hill country TEXAS. | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
i still have a ruger #1 in 270. the best i have ever shot, is 0.3" at 100 yds from 3shots. 130 gr nosler ballastic tips and a charge of imr 4350.
my t/c venture in 25-06 shot a group of .5 at 100yds with hornady 100gr bullets and a charge of imr 4831

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS

Posts: 1580 | Location: windber, pa | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
First rifle I went to have built was a 25-06. Guy talked me into a 270 he had built sitting on the rack. I never regretted it but still always wanted a 25-06. Some years later ran across a 25-06 Remington mountain rifle.
The 270 is gone but I did by another one in a savage. The mountain rifle was a bit of a pita to get a bullet powder combo that made me happy. I am using Hornady 117 or 120 and AA 3100 which is no longer made. I have been told that one of the 4831's is 3100. I don't believe it as the chrono proved different. I have made some of my longest shots on deer with the 25-06 combo I have. 550+ yards. That is not hunting IMHO just killing. But when that is about all the closer you can get to them you do what ya do.
FYI I bought the savage in order to rebarrel to a 6.5-06AI. Another project I didn't need lol.
Jeff

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 730waters
posted Hide Post
I have used a SAKO 25/06 for around 20 years. It is a very easy and an incredibly accurate caliber to load for. I have shot 20+ Antelope and several Mule deer in Wyoming and well over 100 whitetail with this caliber. I usually shoot 100gr Ballistic tip or Partition and have never lost an animal to this caliber. I have had women and kids shoot this gun at the range and they have never complained about the recoil. I topped this off with a Leupold VX3 6.5 x 20 scope and it is deadly accurate. If you get one you will enjoy loading and shooting it

NRA Patron Membeer

Posts: 59 | Location: Maryland | Registered: October 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Larry

Ole shortgun likes the 25-06. I have had several and still have three in the safe. One is a 200 like yours. I bought it new the year they came out. I have a .223 and a 7-08 as well. Great guns right outta the box. The 06 shot at an inch and a half new and settled down to .5-.6 after break in. The .223 was the same. The 7-08 started at .6 and just stayed there. I can't seem to make those lil rifles shoot bad no matter how hard I try. I also have a encore barrel in 25-06 and a Ruger 77. The Ruger has accounted for 96 deer with only two requiring a second poke due to misplaced first shots. I loan that old stainless gun out to several hunters every year and all who use it swear it is a perfect whitetail gun. It is in the hands of a new young hunter now and I hope he has success with it. He just needs to see a deer.
I like 100-117 gr bullets, but have used about everything weight wise in them.
The Encore shoots 100 grain best but the last deer fell to the old Hornady 117 round nose bullet. At close range that bullet hammers things. The 200 loves the 115 NBT and 4831 You gonna like that caliber I'll bet!!

Posts: 332 | Location: USA | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
R*I*P

posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Hey Shortgun ole buddy, how are you doing?

Yes I am getting excited about getting the .25-06 home. It is one cartridge I have never worked with.

Larry

posted Hide Post
Hi Pard
I am doing well. Still lookin at the green side of the grass. Just running a little slower these days. Cancer treatments keep my energy down but I am still beating the thing, Deer hunt a little bit. And shoot as often as I feel up to it.
The 25-06 is a real nice cartridge..you will have fun with!!

give me a holler if you need some data to get ya going, but there is plenty of it in most books.

Posts: 332 | Location: USA | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
R*I*P

posted Hide Post
Thanks bud. Good to hear you are getting out to do some shooting and hunting. Yes I am sure I am going to like the .25-06.

Larry

Picture of FyrepowrX
posted Hide Post
have a pair of 25/06's at the moment, a No 1-B , the other one of the black/stainless remmy 700 XCR-II's.

great caliber, with plenty of reach for a minimal amount of recoil, and pretty agreeable to load for. thumbup

=================================

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
Groucho Marx

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”
Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Posts: 7213 | Location: North-Eastern Oklahoma | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
R*I*P

posted Hide Post
Thanks

Now I patiently wait till I get the lay a way paid off. Then I can start playing if I ever find some brass.

Larry

Picture of Bobcat
posted Hide Post
Larry,
I just sold a Savage .25/06 that was super accurate for a lightweight rifle. Mine liked the Nosler 115 BT and 49.0 grains of IMR 4350 and a Federal 210. I used Norma brass but before I got the Norma I used R-P .30/06 necked down and it worked just as well. I ran this gun out to 550 yards with sub moa groups and it turned in more than one half moa group, it killed pronghorns in their tracks.

Bob

I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity.
General Robert E. Lee

Posts: 1737 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: March 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
R*I*P

posted Hide Post
Thanks Bobcat. I have been getting a lot of good loads to try on a few different forums. I have been copying and pasting them for future reference.

Larry

posted Hide Post
I have had several 25-06's over the last 50 years. Some how they all seem to go away( some gladly Mad!), some I do miss. One still lives here. I have used many weights and makes of bullets from 70 to 130 grainers. I have used 25-06's to take ground hog, fox, coyote and deer. It is USUALLY an easy round to load for and less recoil than the 30-06, at least to ME! Farthest deer I shot with the 25-06 was over 300 yards from the muzzle. BUT I had been hunting ground hogs on that farm all summer so knew where to hold.

Posts: 3978 | Location: home | Registered: November 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
R*I*P

posted Hide Post
You guys are really making it hard on me trying to be patient while I pay off the lay a way on the .25-06. But then it is below zero here and I wouldn't want to go to the range anyway.

Thanks again

Larry

posted Hide Post
My Rem 700 ADL is glass/pillar-bedded, carries a Bushnell 3x-9xX56 scope and a handload with Nosler 100gr SBTs @ +/- 3200 fps. It has been filling my freezer since 1981, very accurate, mild recoil, You do your part game is DRT! Gor a safe full of rifles from .221 to 30-06 to 44 Mag. If I had to pick 1- 25-06.

Posts: 19 | Location: SE USA | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
This post makes me sad. I miss Larry ! Gone too soon ! He was a friend and a good memory !

Posts: 3520 | Location: South Texas | Registered: January 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Jim-I agree. Larry & I had many good conversations over the years, and he was as genuine of a person as you will ever find. My computer froze up a few months ago, and one of the boys gave me his laptop since he was not using it. They told me to get rid of the old one. But I just can't. I still have e-mails from Larry and Robbie (southarkrob) in there. Both of them left this world way too soon.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 3820 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
Yep....larry aka sdhandgunner aka larryinsd was my friend also. Done a lot of talkin. Miss him and his great posts as well.

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9097 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Looking through posts we find things of interest. Having picked up a 25/06 I clicked on this post. Upon reading and checking dates it became clear that this was an old post with new updates. I can't help but wonder if Larry got to shoot the 25/06 he had on layaway. God Bless. Jerry J.

Posts: 98 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post