Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now the fun begins... Login/Join 

Picture of big10
posted
First one from scratch.

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6373 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Very cool! Where did you get your parts?

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2360 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
UH OH...that does look like fun!!

Looking forward to your reports!

Posts: 2141 | Location: THE PROMISED LAND! South Carolina | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Lone Hunter
posted Hide Post
I thought about doing my AR that way,but,choosing the lower parts kit was hard enough!

Maybe the next one.

Jeff

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities. - Prentice Ritter, Broken Trail 2006

Posts: 3520 | Location: Smithfield,NC | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Putting AR's together is one of my favorite pastimes here lately. I've put at least a dozen together for myself and my buddies in the last couple of years. I have a AR-10 ready to assemble now that I just haven't set aside the time to mess with yet. The detent on the front takedown pin is the only thing I ever have any trouble with, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 try's. Just be careful they are just as addicting as specialty pistols.

Posts: 361 | Location: Hamburg, Arkansas | Registered: February 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leupold Man:
Very cool! Where did you get your parts?

I've been collecting parts over the last year or so, whenever someone had a sale and/or I had spare coin. The Aero Precision matched upper/lower I got from DOA Arms, the BCG from Red X, the LPK from Tom's Tactical, the buttstock/buffer from Rousch Sports as well as the gas block and flash hider, the M-Loc forend from Magpul, bought new off the classifieds at ARFCOM, the barrel from Brownell's, misc upper parts and mags from JSE. Now just to decide on which barrel nut wrench to get.

I put the LPK in this weekend and am pretty impressed with the trigger, for the price. It cost $10 extra for nickel/teflon trigger and hammer and so far I'd say it was worth it.

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6373 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scout2:
Putting AR's together is one of my favorite pastimes here lately. I've put at least a dozen together for myself and my buddies in the last couple of years. I have a AR-10 ready to assemble now that I just haven't set aside the time to mess with yet. The detent on the front takedown pin is the only thing I ever have any trouble with, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 try's. Just be careful they are just as addicting as specialty pistols.

1/4" Clevis pin works great. Stick it in and push down the detent then turn pin and follow it out the side with the takedown pin. Never shoot another across the room Smile

Posts: 501 | Location: Olathe, KS | Registered: August 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
They are a lot of fun. I just put one together with an aero upper and lower. I bought a gen 2 lower. It has a tensoning screw in it that you can tighten up if you have any slop between uppers. I used a rock river lower parts kit in it.
My spring and detent shot across the room when I tried putting the takedown pin in. I was lucky and found it after an hour crawling around the floor. After that I used an Allen wrench to hold it in place then pushed the pin thru. Worked pretty good.
I built this one to run a suppressor on, but I didn't use an adjustable gas block. I picked up a gemtech suppressed bolt carrier. Looks like it will work pretty slick from everything I've seen on it. I won't know for a few months tho till my specwar is out jail.

Posts: 254 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: July 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post