Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 RUM Beanland Custom Login/Join 

posted

Picked this up from Jon Beanland yesterday.

Now little brother has a big brother.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1517 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Cisco
posted Hide Post
Sure is a nice looking riflegun you have there.
But your pix seem to be disoriented.
Your pix make it look like the bolt is in backwards! bolt

Posts: 2234 | Location: S Ms | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Actually the bolt is on the "right side"... (There are a few perfect people in the world, the rest of them are right handed... Wink

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1517 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Cisco
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 2234 | Location: S Ms | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
In that case if that backward pistol of yours ever needs a good home just send it here .It would fit right in to my imperfect world. I'll even pay the postage. devil

Posts: 201 | Location: bourbon capitol KY. | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well, that XP-100 actually has the bolt on the "correct side" for a lefty. If I were right handed, I'd want it on the other side.... (Much like a single action revolver is correctly set up for a lefty)

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rog (Buttermilk421):
Actually the bolt is on the "right side"... (There are a few perfect people in the world, the rest of them are right handed... Wink

Nice pair, and perfect for you thumbup

I am a lefty as well, well except in the shooting world. My right eye is dominant and I have always shot righty since a wee lad. All mixed up laugh

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6373 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big10:
quote:
Originally posted by Rog (Buttermilk421):

Nice pair, and perfect for you thumbup

I am a lefty as well, well except in the shooting world. My right eye is dominant and I have always shot righty since a wee lad. All mixed up laugh

I feel ya man. I'm only partially left handed. I play sports right handed. Write left handed, shoot archery left handed (started out right handed, but switched to left side due to dominate left eye). Use to shoot pistols right hand but switched to left handed because I can control the trigger better left handed and shoot better groups (still occasionally shoot handguns right handed but prefer left side).

So I understand your situation.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

posted Hide Post
One benefit of being a lefty:

Judges 20:16
Among all this people there were seven hundred chosen men lefthanded; every one could sling stones at an hair breadth, and not miss.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

posted Hide Post
Good looking guns, Rog. thumbup

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1303 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Nice rig!!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2358 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Rog,
That's a good looking shooter thumbup

-Mike

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 40xmike,

Posts: 2286 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Great looking stick(s) Rog!

What are you gonna push out of the 300RUM?

Posts: 604 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: December 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Schunter I plan to shoot 210 Bergers primarily. Throat is set for that bullet. I also plan to shoot any of the bullets in the 190-215, 220 gr range but primarily 210's.

My twist is only a 1:10" otherwise if I had a 1:9" I'd run some 230's.

Barrel is a Lt. Palma Krieger 5R.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Picture of Grendel99
posted Hide Post
That is an excellent looking rig and a great addition to your XP! Can we have some more details and a range report? Big Grin

Posts: 960 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: June 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I haven't had time to do any real range work. So far only 19 rds down the tube for break-in. Still have to do load work up. Soon.

Details?

The rifle is a Remington 700 stainless left hand that started life as a LSS LH model in 300 RUM with a standard magnum contour barrel. I bought the rifle used from my BIL, and he purchased it used from a pawn shop. No idea of the round count on the factory tube.

After killing two deer with the factory rifle, I decided I wanted to change it up.

Dropped it off at Beanlandcustomrifles.com last fall, in September.

Jon Beanland did the following:

Trued action
Pinned 0.250" recoil lug
Side bolt release
Mini M16 extractor
Krieger Lt Palma contour 27" 1:10" twist 5R bbl
300 RUM chamber with 0.098" free bore; 0.343" neck
Karl Kampfeld 3 port brake
Bell & Carlson Medalist stock with aluminum bedding block bedded to action
Factory bottom metal titanium cerakote
Wyatt's 3.825" extended box
Weaver 0 MOA picatinny rail
Weaver Tactical 6 screw rings
Titanium Cerakote by Jon Beanland
Burris 4x-16x-44mm AO BP Signature Select scope (soon, I hope to replace with a better optic - but this one is acceptable for now).

Gun weight with out optic: 8.75 lbs
Gun weight with optic: 10.25 lbs

Before pic of the rifle:

XP-100 info? (I've posted this before in the bolt section...)

7 RSAUM chambering
Beanland trued action
Bolt face opened up from 0.378" cartridge size to 0.532" cartridge size
Mini M16 extractor
Beanland side bolt release
Factory recoil lug surface ground true
Bartlein #4 contour 1:9" twist 5R 17.5" bbl
Ross Schuler 3 port muzzle brake (very effective, I might add)
Ken Farrell XP-100 0 MOA scope rail (with extra slots milled by me)
Weaver Quad Lock rings
Burris 3x-12x AO target turret scope
Aaron's stock bedded
Trigger set to 24 ounces by me

Set it up for longer ranges and killed it's first deer at 10 yards... Big Grin
First kill with the XP-100 7 SAUM was a buck I wanted gone. A young buck, but horns shoulda been better.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rog (Buttermilk421),

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Picture of Grendel99
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I remember when you posted that pick of the 8 pt with the rifle in stock trim. The 300 RUM is a big ol' cartridge but they have a reputation for accuracy. Let us know how it shoots!

Posts: 960 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: June 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Finally got some range time in today.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

posted Hide Post
Thanks Aaron. I've only shot Retumbo. Every once in a while I think about trying RL33.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

posted Hide Post
100 FPS is a good improvement in velocity. I may have to put RL33 on my list of powders to try.

Should see a similar improvement in the RUM case, I would think.

quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
I've haven't tried it in that cartridge, but in the other overbore cartridges I've used it in I got more speed. More than 100fps in the dakotas.

Aaron

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

posted Hide Post
Blooded the "new" rifle yesterday.

82 yards. Berger 210 VLDH. 3150 FPS. Dropped on the spot.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Picture of Cisco
posted Hide Post
Nice un!!

thumbup

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
Nice looking deer. Nice looking rifle. Congratulations on both.

------------------------------
Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Congrats on the deer!

Great looking rifle and handgun set you have there!

Posts: 506 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)