Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Argentine Mauser question Login/Join 

Picture of Greygrouse
posted
Kind of an odd topic I think, but I like to start a lot of my searching by seeking advice here.
UH... with the exception of the guy who told me to go away and take up golf.
So... I have a couple of Argentine Mausers 7.65X53 and they shoot fairly well so far as I can see.
One, an "engineer" model has the crest removed from the receiver (interesting story there). The other, I'm pretty sure has been sporterized but retains its crest - other models of this type I've seen have much larger crests on the receiver. My research hasn't given me much info, and I'm wondering if anyone here knows about these rifles, or can steer me toward a credible web site.
I thought about scoping the sporterized one, but that would ruin the crest. Not sure if I should do that.
One source said this gun might have been part of a shipment to Cuba or to Africa in the 1890's. Either, if original, seems to be a rarity... being modified I'm not sure if it retains any particular value.
Thanks in advance folks, I'm sure someone will have an answer or will tell me where to go!!!!
Gotta run, have a tee time (NOT).
Mike

----------------------------
World's Foremost Authority

Posts: 724 | Location: Michigan's Upper Peninsula | Registered: February 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
go to

http://www.k98kforum.com/forum.php

http://mausercentral.net/index...04a17528490ac5924ece

someone should help you

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS

Posts: 1580 | Location: windber, pa | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That's funny that this topic comes up, I'm not much into surplus rifles but was looking at a little 7.65 Arg carbine a guy had on his table at a gun show recently. Looked like a pretty handy rifle. I have no idea what the value of them is but I certainly wasn't interested in parting with anywhere near as much cash as he was asking for it.

Posts: 915 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: May 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
Check out the Military Surplus Collectors Forum (milsurps.com). Generally, modified military surplus rifles are not particularly valuable. Crests on military rifles have been ground off of captured or imported weapons. Most commonly seen with the Japanese Arisaki surplus rifles. An above average military rifle in original condition (matching serial numbers and accessories) with an unaltered crest may bring a surprisingly high price. Depending on the model and variation. Otherwise, an 1891 Mauser rifle or carbine, or a 98 variant is still a very serviceable rifle. The 7.65 X 53 is similar in power to the .300 Savage. Ammo is readily available.

------------------------------
Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Greygrouse
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks,
Good info as always.
The first rifle I bought was an "engineer" model (carbine but not full length stock, all matching, no crest, stolen, STOLEN... I tell you, for $160), and now I bought a full length rifle on Gun Broker for $300, all numbers match, no crest. Rifles w/crest and all matching go for (well... ASKING price is over $500 in many cases), lots.
Depending on the bore condition of the new rifle, I'll probably drill and tap and bend the bolt and go jihad on the local sasquatch population!!! skull
The shooting I've done has been w/low power (per manuals) loads and w/irons, several touch @50yds. Not bad for an old blind guy. laugh
So... now w/in less than a month, I own 3 of these guns - they're actually pretty cool. HELP... STOP ME BEFORE I BUY AGAIN!!! cry
Thanks again, and I'll look into all the info you graciously provided.
Mike

Posts: 724 | Location: Michigan's Upper Peninsula | Registered: February 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greygrouse:
HELP... STOP ME BEFORE I BUY AGAIN!!!

Mike

i feel your pain. you can keep on buying these "ugly" rifles and feel good about it. just send your "ugly" rifles to me. they'll be sho....i mean, disassembled and the scrap will go to me....i mean to local wildlife.

laugh laugh laugh

do you shoot cast boolits?

Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black
-KWS

Posts: 1580 | Location: windber, pa | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Greygrouse
posted Hide Post
Todd,
Get in the long line and take a number for my, uh... "scrapable" guns!! laugh
I get a kick out of picking up these guns, most are not "native" to folks here in the UP, so I get them cheap, but rarely resell them to make a profit. Lots of 22's and 20ga guns have gone to junior shooters or clubs.

I try to research guns such as this to determine if they have any collector value and if so, try to place them w/someone who would actually appreciate them (I have very few "collectibles" - tend to shoot everything I've got). I have a 1903-A3 which I have yet to shoot... should I guess, but I'll just hold onto this one since it has been nicely set up for big bore target.
I have all the stuff to cast, just waiting for a better location, have to cast outside and only have a few months when weather isn't freezing - also conflicts w/my fishing.

Thanks for your concern re/my collection. Hi
Mike