Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know anything about old Winchesters? Login/Join 

posted
I am looking at an old Winchester tomorrow. It is a 94 with a 1900-1901 manufacture date. It is a 38-55 with a 24" round barrel, half mag, and shotgun butt. I have been wanting to get an old lever gun for awhile
And this one just came available locally. Just looking for a shooter grade gun as I'm not a collector. I want to shoot it and hunt with it. If any of you guys know anything about these and don't mind answering some questions let me know. Thanks.

Toby
-----------------------
Life begins at 45 caliber!

Posts: 1015 | Location: NWPA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That old, the bore could be any where from .379-.388+. Buddy has pretty much what you describe, bore slugs at .384 with a big spot right in the middle.
Other than my Winchester BB 375ww, that is about it from me.
I have a tapered octagon Badger blank that will be a 38-55 on a Marlin sooner or later.
I fine caliber that is over looked by many. Chambers and bore sizes can be all over the place. But, they can all be made to shoot with a bit of work.
If you are of the thoughts of buying 38-55 ammo, even custom done, good luck.
My above mentioned friend never reloaded, scared to death of it actually. He ended up paper patching his first one. Now he swears by paper patching. Pretty much created a monster.
Jeff

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2748 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Been casting for years so no problem fitting bullets to the bore. Actually if the bore is good and I me and the seller can come to an agreement. I am looking forward to the challenge of making it shoot.

He tells me the options it has is kinda unigue. I have no idea myself. The asking price is $1000 and I think that sounds fair. Just not sure.

Toby
-----------------------
Life begins at 45 caliber!

Posts: 1015 | Location: NWPA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Condition
Condition
Condition

I know where a 32-20 and a 25-20 are. Reblued and wood beutified, he "wants" $3000 for the pair

The bores look like a gravel road.
Then to top that off, I found out the receivers had been draw files to remove the pits! I got some measurements and they took quite a bit off. Enough that I would question a 38-40 or 44-40 redo.

These old rifles are hard to figure,at least for me. The 94 big bores are hard to come by at least around here. I paid a hefty fee for mine, unfired no box,but a hang tag. Then a buddy calls me and he bought a 307 and a 375 for a few hundred more than I gave for one! His were fired very little and had the boxes.

I am like you,I am a shooter not a collector. If you like it and feel it's "right" go for it and don't look back.
Jeff

G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2748 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I know this is an old post, but if your still looking for info. I have and shoot a rifle much like the one you are talking about. I am lucky, as mine shoots the .378 dia bullets so when I can find them I shoot jacketed bullets out of mine. the only thing that I have killed is a big beef bull and it went down good, one shot to the head at about ten yards, He was a mean one that you couldn't get close too. Fun rifle to take out and shoot once in awhile.

"All your skill is to no avail when an Angel ****es in your touch hole". :Old German hunters quote.

Posts: 162 | Location: Troy, MT | Registered: September 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post