Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Troy PAR (pump AR15) Login/Join 

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted
Anyone here tried one? I've been looking at them for a while but I have a few questions on them and reaching out to troy hasn't exactly been fruitful.

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18875 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Dekker
posted Hide Post
Mike I haven't shot one, but have held one. They seemed to be lighter and I like that the stock folds over making for a nice compact rig. The action was really smooth when working the pump. I think the 300 Black Out version would make for a great suppressed gun since there would be no noise coming from the action cycling.

Posts: 2329 | Location: Illinois / USA | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
there would be no noise coming from the action cycling

Is it whisper quiet when you operate the slide?

thumbup Rod
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6373 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Dekker
posted Hide Post
Rod it is as you say "whisper quiet" if you don't pump the slide or work the action. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand there would be no noise coming from a pump action unless you pump it. A pump action gives the shooter the discretion whether to work the pump right away or later depending on his circumstances.

Posts: 2329 | Location: Illinois / USA | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Anyone know if the flashhider is pinned & welded on?

I'm interested in the fixed stock 300BLK version right now and it appears that the barrel is a 1-8" twist. If that's the case on both accounts, I'll have to plan on rebarreling it as soon as I get it cuz I'm only interested in shooting heavy (230+ grain) subs suppressed.

Thanks!

mike

Posts: 18875 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Well, I ended up buying a PAR late last year and began a somewhat pricey conversion. Replaced the barrel, stock, grip, trigger, safety and mag release, as I remember. It's sat in the safe until this last weekend when I finally got out to try it! I tried supers of a 147fmj and AA#9 and could hit steel plates while kneeling out to 200 yards, fairly easily. Then came time for the subs. The load consisted of a Noe 230 powder coated cast bullet and IMR4198. After getting a rough zero @ 50, I moved on to 100. I only had enuf ammo left to shoot two groups and they averaged a tad over 2"! While this isn't stellar accuracy, I'm more than impressed for the first load I pick to shoot so well with a powder coated cast bullet. I'm now going too play around with seating depth, hoping to shrink groups a tad. 2" is minute of woodchuck head but I'm always after better. Also going to try another pc cb, too, see if they'll stabilize at subs velocity.

The whole point of this rifle was a subsonic/silent hunting gun. The above subsonic load thru my Silencerco Omega is quieter than someone sneezing. That just makes the whole project a blast. Smile

If all goes well, I'll get the next test loads shoot this week. Wink

mike