Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10 TWIST AR15 barrel in 300 BO/Whisper Login/Join 

posted
Does anyone know where I can get an AR15 300BO barrel/complete upper in 10or 12 twist that is 16 to 18 inches in length. I want to shoot 150-160 grain supersonic cast bullets only and have zero interest in the faster 1/8 or 1/7 barrels meant for subs. My googlephoo is not coming up with anything so I thank you in advance...THANKS

----------------------------------

Happiness is a target rich environment.

Posts: 255 | Location: central lower michigan | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Shaggy357
posted Hide Post
150-160 cast stabilize and shoot great out of a 1:8.

I would only go slower (1:10 - 1:12) if going with the 110 carbine or similar short bearing surface cast bullet, but that is me. Pac-Nor had some slow twist barrels last time I was on their web site.

Steve Smile
---------------------------------
"Life is a play before an audience of one. When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"

Posts: 1923 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
How hard are you driving them 150-160 grain cast pills and what accuracy are you getting?

Posts: 255 | Location: central lower michigan | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
If you can't find a complete upper, we can build you a custom unit with components from economical to the ultimate in precision. Email me if you'd like to discuss.

Iirc, you can run that range bullet in the 2k+...

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18875 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I do not need anything fancy, really all I need is a midlength gas 16 to 18 inch barrel that is not m4 contour or is not HBAR either...somewhere in the middle would be great. (that grenade launcher cut offends my eyes) I have always had a bit better luck with the slower twists running cast a J-word speeds and I try to learn from my failures/successes...hence the slower twist.

All I would need is the complete barrel and a matching bolt head. When I get a few more sheckels in me wallet you WILL get that email, another "need" Razz stepped in front of this one via the big brown truck of happiness. THANK YOU

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I'd double check using a mid-length gas. Lower pressure powders will likely not cycle completely. My experience is that pistol gas with the 300BLK is the way to go regardless of loads. You can always step up the recoil spring or buffer, or both, if your loads experience too much recoil.

As to bolt, any milspec bolt (5.56x45) will work as long as you get a milspec barrel extension on the barrel. Wink

mike

Posts: 18875 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
This will be a swing for the fence in the FPS with cast build....lighter loads need not apply. I am fairly new to the whole ar thing, but so far the same couple of barrel length/gas port questions has gotten me more different answers than the number of questions asked. I am a bit conflicted at this point,,,no doubt about it. This will be built on an A2 stock with rifle buffer/spring....with a hope and a prayer that it works....back to the conflicting answer thing again. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
Not sure if the 300 is all that much different than any others, but if not going the subsonic route I'd go with the longest gas system that the barrel length will allow.

thumbup Rod
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6373 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
The 300BLK uses about half the powder of a 5.56 so you don't need anything longer than a pistol gas...

mike

posted Hide Post
I found my barrel maker that will make exactly what I want. Thanks for the assistance folks, much appreciated.

X-Caliber Barrels