Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Cisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Henry 357 Mag. Login/Join 

posted
I am going to buy a Henry Big Boy in .357 Mag. I need advice on which barrel length to get. I saw on a web site that a 16" barrel has higher velocity than an 18". Henry's 16 1/2" is also lighter than the 20". What are the advantages of both. Use will be plinking (targets) and possibly deer. Any advice would be appreciated.
Tom

Posts: 285 | Location: upstate PA | Registered: September 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
It really all boils down to what YOU want. There isn't enough difference in performance from a 16 to 20" barrel to pick one over the other unless you just absolutely have to have the highest velocities. The situation you mention is the result of powder burn rate more so than barrel length. With the slower burning powders for the cartridge, in the barrel lengths you mention, heavier charges are going to run faster in the longer tubes.

For plinking, all this matters not. Are you bench shooting or standing? Are you trying to connect with targets quickly or leisurely blasting away? Those things will make more difference in which package you'd prefer than anything else, I'd think.

For hunting, the longer tube will provide more downrange energy, will a deer be able to tell the maybe 100fps difference? Doubtful.

All in all, i'd just pick the one I liked the looks of most! Wink

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18878 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Mike: Thanks for the reply. I went to Grice's yesterday and bought the 20" rifle version.
Tom

Posts: 285 | Location: upstate PA | Registered: September 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Awesome, let us know how you like it!

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18878 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
I'm conflicted with the same situation on a 327 FM that I want to get. There aren't any out here yet and I would like to check both lengths out to see how each one fit's me and handles. The local dealer only had a 357 in 20" but no shortie to try. Also did notice that on BBTI they showed that the 327 was at it's highest vel out of a 16" and dropped off at 18" but didn't show a 20". Will be interesting to see how yours turns out, keep us informed.

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4566 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I shot the 357 Mag. Henry today. Everyone was right, there is very little recoil. I shot Federal 158 gr. JSP factory at 25 yds. The rifle grouped very well. The first 3 shot group measured .933 The second .787 and third .545 I was very pleased as the buckhorn sight is a challenge for my 72 yr. old eyes. I also shot 13 shots offhand at an 8" gong at 50 yds. and hit it every time. These grouped into about 3". The rifle hangs well and is easy to hold. It is deer ready out of the box.
Tom

posted Hide Post
The 357 Big Boy continues to impress me. Three shot groups with Federal 158 factory and reloads with H110 and 158 XTP's are always under 1/2" at 25 yds.
One thing that I noticed is that Hornady lists a maximum of 15.5 gr. of H110 with a 158 gr. XTP for 1650 fps. Hodgdon lists 16.7 gr. for 1757 fps. and Lyman 17.0 gr. with the 158 gr.for 1829 fps. I chronographed 16.5 gr. of H110 yesterday and got an average of 1653 fps. Federal factory 158 gr. loads were 1693 fps. average. My barrel is 20".

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
Cool! Cool thumbup Sounds like your getting it broke in nicely. I've noticed large variances with H110/296 in the past. Could be the lot, brass, primers, moon phase ect. One load in my 44 mag jumped 75+ fps by just accidentally switching to Starline Brass VS WW. Also had gotten a jug of H110 that was 100-150 fps slower that my previous one with the same load.

Ryan

Posts: 4566 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Steve E
posted Hide Post
How about a pic or two of your rifle?

Steve......

NRA Patron Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 584 | Location: SEMO | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Steve, I do not know how to post pictures. The rifle is a BB Classic with 20" barrel. There are pictures all over the web of Henry's. It is only 2 weeks old so looks the same.
Tom

posted Hide Post
There is a web site called velocity by the inch and has some interesting fact about various rounds and barrel length. The difference in the 16 and 20 would not be much but interesting read.

Posts: 3520 | Location: South Texas | Registered: January 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of moe
posted Hide Post
Handled a 327FM at the LGS on Thursday. It was awesome and $700! Wanting a Single Seven Bisely, so know...ahhhhhhhh!

Posts: 1916 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
Moe, Glad you found one, I've been looking all over our area and none of the 327's are to be found. I even asked if they could order one from the factory and no one seems interested in doing that. Confused Don't know wtf is going on. Have a couple of small shops to check yet.

Ryan