Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unidentified case Login/Join 

posted
Found this case at the range. Some guys that left as I got there had some unidentified old military rifles in their trunk.
Head stamp is as follows:
Top has 1-55
Right side has a capitol letter I or a Roman numeral
Bottom has 7.62
Left side has SF
These markings show it to be a military round but I'm confused by the 7.62. To me, that is a .308 designation and I have many of those to compare with. This case looks like a 30/06 case, not in any way like a .308 case.
BTW, it is definitely stamped 7.62.

Posts: 217 | Location: Maryland | Registered: March 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
think you could post a picture?

Posts: 2076 | Location: Kasson MN | Registered: August 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It sounds like a 7.62x74R, but withk ut a pic and maybe a ruler next to it it could be a lot of older ones. 7.62 is also a bullet diameter as is .308.

---------------------------------
"All your skill is to no avail when an Angel ****es in your touch hole". :Old German hunters quote.

Posts: 167 | Location: Troy, MT | Registered: September 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Dekker
posted Hide Post
SF : French Society of Munitions
I: Society Franco-Belge Metallurgy in Issy Les Moulineaux .
1/55 : 1st quarter 1955.
7.62 : 30 caliber US (.30-06)

Hope this helps.
David

Posts: 2346 | Location: Illinois / USA | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
Some of the Allies in WW-II referred to the 30/06 as a 7.62 x 63. Many of them loaded ammunition for the 30/06 because of the thousands of Garands, Springfields and U.S. Enfields supplied by the USA.

------------------------------
Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3429 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'm not a cartridge collector.......anyone want it? Free.

Posts: 217 | Location: Maryland | Registered: March 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post