Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What bullet to use? Login/Join 

Picture of Leupold Man
posted
Suggestions on what bullet to use for long range hunting with a 300 wm? This is out of a custom rifle with a 26" barrel. I know it's not a pistol, but I know there are a lot of guys here that have experience with many different bullets.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2673 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
180SST+H1000 has worked well for me.
As to powder, after messing with a 270WW, 150SST, and R26, it thinks it is a 7mag. I am going to try some R26 in the 300WM in the near future.

G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was a G One!

Posts: 2983 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
165BT's work extremely well for me out of my 300wm.

Albert
------------------------------
Life Member NRA
Navy Submarine Veteran

Posts: 10643 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Berger's VLD in 185gr are my choice. They also have heavier slugs - all have high BC and expand well since your're still supersonic at 1000yds

Posts: 131 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: January 23, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I was thinking about at least 185 grain. I want the higher BC. Is 1000 fps the lower end of good expansion?

Posts: 2673 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leupold Man:
Thanks for the input. I was thinking about at least 185 grain. I want the higher BC. Is 1000 fps the lower end of good expansion?

LM
1700-1800 fps is the low end for terminal expansion w/Berger bullets.

-Mike

Posts: 2291 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike I read it wrong thinking 1000 was fps not yards.