Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: HotRodAl, KYODE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calibers for Steel to 1K Login/Join 

Picture of Left Hand Dave
posted
I have decided to build something for shooting steel. Looking at going 1K or farther. The build will be on either an undesignated model 7 action or an undesignated 700 short action. I will use a brake and rifle scope on the rig. I have considered the 6 Dasher, 6X47 Lapua, 6.5X47 Lapua and the 6.5-.284. I looked in the books and it looks like to better the BC of the 6mm 105s in a 6.5mm you need to go with a 130 or 140 grain but then you start loosing some velocity. I have a 6 Dasher in a slow twist for ground hogs and a 6.5 Creed for deer, both center grips. So if I chose one of them I have dies and components but then I get cheated out of a new cartridge and I am not that practical anyway. If I chose the 6.5-.284 I could use it for both target and hunting.

Here are some questions for those in the know:

Any issues with the 6.5-.284 over the others as far as recoil when shooting targets?

What can I expect to get as far as barrel life in rounds with the 6.5-.284?

What can I expect for velocity from a 16" barrel not counting the break in a 6.5-.284 with 130s and 140s?

Any advantage of the 6.5-.284 over the 6 Dasher on steel?

Am I missing any advantages for the cartridges between the 6 Dasher and the 6.5-.284?

Thanks for any input.
Dave

Posts: 451 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Barrel length?
Barrel Taper?
How far past 1K on steel?
What kind of groups would you like to be able to attain at what distance(s)?
quote:
Originally posted by Left Hand Dave:
I have decided to build something for shooting steel. Looking at going 1K or farther. The build will be on either an undesignated model 7 action or an undesignated 700 short action. I will use a brake and rifle scope on the rig. I have considered the 6 Dasher, 6X47 Lapua, 6.5X47 Lapua and the 6.5-.284. I looked in the books and it looks like to better the BC of the 6mm 105s in a 6.5mm you need to go with a 130 or 140 grain but then you start loosing some velocity. I have a 6 Dasher in a slow twist for ground hogs and a 6.5 Creed for deer, both center grips. So if I chose one of them I have dies and components but then I get cheated out of a new cartridge and I am not that practical anyway. If I chose the 6.5-.284 I could use it for both target and hunting.

Here are some questions for those in the know:

Any issues with the 6.5-.284 over the others as far as recoil when shooting targets?

What can I expect to get as far as barrel life in rounds with the 6.5-.284?

What can I expect for velocity from a 16" barrel not counting the break in a 6.5-.284 with 130s and 140s?

Any advantage of the 6.5-.284 over the 6 Dasher on steel?

Am I missing any advantages for the cartridges between the 6 Dasher and the 6.5-.284?

Thanks for any input.
Dave

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12168 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Left Hand Dave
posted Hide Post
Barrel length thinking 16 or 17 inch.
Barrel taper was thinking Remington varmint taper.
Distance past 1K, probably never get to shoot 1500 but would be nice to have the capability. In Ohio it's not easy to find places you can go 1K.

Here is what I am looking at. I have always shot targets on the back 4(don't have a back 40)at 100 yards off the bench. I added a 250yrd bench and as far as my property goes that's about it. I have a place I can shoot out to 800yds and I am not far from Rayners. My main shooting was ground hogs not many left around here so I am buying some steel targets. With the steel targets I can put them where ever I want as long as it is safe and have something to shoot at. I see all the fun you guys have shooting a far piece and have decided I am going to learn how to shoot the hair off a flea that's a mile away, with my pistol yet. I want to learn to read the wind and have some fun with my shooting buddy learning the LR stuff. I am done thinking all this fun is only for the out west crowd and I am just gonna do it. So I need a little help.

Soon to be Long Range Left Hand Dave

Posts: 451 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Left Hand Dave:
Barrel length thinking 16 or 17 inch.
Barrel taper was thinking Remington varmint taper.
Distance past 1K, probably never get to shoot 1500 but would be nice to have the capability. In Ohio it's not easy to find places you can go 1K.

Here is what I am looking at. I have always shot targets on the back 4(don't have a back 40)at 100 yards off the bench. I added a 250yrd bench and as far as my property goes that's about it. I have a place I can shoot out to 800yds and I am not far from Rayners. My main shooting was ground hogs not many left around here so I am buying some steel targets. With the steel targets I can put them where ever I want as long as it is safe and have something to shoot at. I see all the fun you guys have shooting a far piece and have decided I am going to learn how to shoot the hair off a flea that's a mile away, with my pistol yet. I want to learn to read the wind and have some fun with my shooting buddy learning the LR stuff. I am done thinking all this fun is only for the out west crowd and I am just gonna do it. So I need a little help.

Try Rayners range or thunder valley precision for long range.
Soon to be Long Range Left Hand Dave

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1504 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Proud you are going to try it!
A 6 Dasher is a little lacking at 1500 yards compared to a 6.5-284 IMO.
A 7.5 twist 6mm-284 would be a great LR set-up in a 16-17 inch barrel
6 Creed or 6XC are also good options.
I used my 6-284 center-grip XP to nail a pd at 1590 in less than 10 shots a little over 10 years ago.
I wouldn't so much worry about barrel life as I would choose a cartridge based on the performance level I am wanting.
6.5's and 7's are easier to see steel hits than 6mm.
I prefer 6.5's and 7mm's for hunting.
From a pure BR perspective at distance I would want to go with a 6mm or 7mm.
Having said that, Erik and I have done a lot of damage with a 6.5-284.
Now that I have muddied up the water, you get to choose what you want.

IF I wanted a 1500 yard steel rig I would go with one of these options:
In .244 = 6-284, 1-7.5T using 105-115 VLD's
In .264 = 6.5-284, 6.5 SAUM or 6.5 Leopard (WSM) using 1-7.5T or 1-8T using 140's
In .284 = 7 SAUM, 7 WSM, 7 LRM, 7mm Dakota, or 28 Nosler, using 1-8T or 1-8.5T (using 180 or 195 Hybrids).
With the bigger cases I would for sure go with the 17" length.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12168 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post