Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Grovere
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blackhorn 209 future? Login/Join 

posted
Since Blackhorn 209 was bought by hodgdon. Do you think this will be a good thing for the future of a great black powder?

Posts: 53 | Location: Conway, Arkansas | Registered: August 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I certainly hope it stays around in the future. After many years hiatus from muzzeloading, last year I got back into it. My TC Omega simply loves Blackhorn 209 and it is so clean burning. I have no plans but to shoot only that in it...maybe I should stock up on some jugs of it just in case.

Chris

Posts: 457 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I sure hope they keep manufacturing BH209. I switched to BH209 in my 15 inch Encore 209X50 and two Encore rifles few years ago and love it. I was in local gun store today and they didn’t have any. Checked Cabelas and they have it in stock for $50 Mad Midway, Powder valley, Grafs Son Shows back ordered or out
Of stock. Midsouth is out of 1 lb but show 8 lb in stock.

Posts: 1933 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My guess is Hodgdon will continue to manufacture the powder. Generally you don't buy companies to kill the competition, you buy them to enhance your product line. Just my 2 cents.

"The World Spins Forward"

Posts: 2620 | Location: lake of the ozarks, mo. | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
In Ohio try looking at Fin Fur and Feather for BH209, I recall it was less than $45.00 a container in the North Canton store.
Give "The Log Cabin" in Lodi, Ohio a look-see for other muzzle-loading supplies.

Posts: 642 | Location: Saint Clair County, MI | Registered: December 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of blades
posted Hide Post
Seems Hodgdon has been buying up all the competition. Do not know that I like a single source situation.

Posts: 487 | Location: WI | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jay HHI6818:
I sure hope they keep manufacturing BH209. I switched to BH209 in my 15 inch Encore 209X50 and two Encore rifles few years ago and love it. I was in local gun store today and they didn’t have any. Checked Cabelas and they have it in stock for $50 Mad Midway, Powder valley, Grafs Son Shows back ordered or out
Of stock. Midsouth is out of 1 lb but show 8 lb in stock.

Jay, check your local Walmart stores, I picked up 4 jugs there yesterday for $34.99 each just to have...

Chris

Posts: 457 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Fin in N Canton is sold old but Walmart had 5 1 lb containers. Bought two

Thx for the tip

Posts: 1933 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
check your local Walmart stores, I picked up 4 jugs there yesterday for $34.99 each just to have...

WOW, I envy you guys. Big Grin I've never seen gun powder at any of our local WM's. Mad

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1452 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary T:
quote:
check your local Walmart stores, I picked up 4 jugs there yesterday for $34.99 each just to have...

WOW, I envy you guys. Big Grin I've never seen gun powder at any of our local WM's. Mad

It only happens at mine with black powder substitutes right before TN’s muzzleloader deer season opens

Chris

posted Hide Post
I just bought some from Cabela's in Avon. Ship to store. No problems getting it. The TC cheap shots were another story. They took awhile to get there.

Posts: 316 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: June 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
Are you guys getting 1lb containers? I am only getting 10 oz containers for 50.00

Semper.Fi

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 732 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by semperfi:
Are you guys getting 1lb containers? I am only getting 10 oz containers for 50.00

Semper.Fi

Mine was 1 pounders at Walmart

Chris

posted Hide Post
Good point. Mine was only 10 ounces as well. I think.

Definitely wasn't a pound.

Posts: 316 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: June 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midnight_f150:
Since Blackhorn 209 was bought by hodgdon. Do you think this will be a good thing for the future of a great black powder?
Absolutely! Companies don't buy competitors to eliminate the competition anymore, they do so to add to their portfolio and increase their profitability! Hodgdon has a great reputation for managing their company. The recent shortages Hodgdon experienced are caused by consumer demand and a lack of available production time by the companies Hodgdon has manufacture the powder(only so many companies out there that produce powders). I'm actually excited about their recent acquisition as I only buy Hodgdon sold powders and this gives me access to Accurate powders again. Wink

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19361 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Mike, you are spot on. JB Hodgdon gave me pound of Triple Seven 20 +- years ago to try when it first came out. Out of loyalty I have used it ever since. Now I can try Blackhorn.

"The World Spins Forward"

Posts: 2620 | Location: lake of the ozarks, mo. | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post