Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Threading Contender Barrels Login/Join 

posted
Hi,

I have a couple of Contender barrels that I would like to thread. I'm looking for suggestions for how to hold and drive the barrel in the lathe. Would you use the 4 jaw chuck or just use a center with the extractor in place? I would like to hear what's been tried and the results and what not to try.

Thanks,
JoeC

Posts: 2 | Location: LA - Lower Alabama | Registered: May 22, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Gator T/C
posted Hide Post
I have done several by holding in a three jaw chuck and indicating in the muzzle with a steady rest. Have had good results. Biggest issue I had was an Encore rifle barrel that I cut down and bore was not centered. I put a temporary sleeve near the muzzle then used live center in the bore. Trued up my temporary sleeve with the bore then ran steady rest on the temporary sleeve that was true with bore. Threads were true to bore.

Brad

------------------------------
Contender 22LR, 17MachII, 17HMR, .223(SSK), 6mm Gator, 6TCU, 6mmJDJ(Van Horn), 25x47(Coyote), 6.5 JDJ(SSK), 308 Bellm, 358 Bellm, 375Win, 375 JDJ(SSK), 45/70(SSK), 45/70 (VanHorn), 50-70(SSK)
Encore .243, 7mm–08, 300WM(15-1/4"), 50-90(MGM, 14"), 50–110 (MGM), .50ML(16")
XP-100 .223, .223AI, 6mm204Imp, .243AI, 6BR
XP-7 .223,.300Blackout, .300RSAUM
XP-700SA[b] .22LR, .243
[b]XP-700LA
.25/06, .270AI, .300WM,.338 Lapua, .510 Whisper

Posts: 1165 | Location: Gainesville, Fl | Registered: January 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Like any other lathe work. As long as you dial in the point in which you are cutting you will be fine.

I have modified one of my lathes to do Tc work. Before that I did it between centers then crown in a steady rest.

Posts: 3670 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have used lathe dogs and had much sucess with them.

Posts: 260 | Location: Were the RV sits | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Truing a temporary sleeve is something I would not have thought of. I'll try centers and dog. I'll report back when I can get to it.

Thanks,
Joe

Posts: 2 | Location: LA - Lower Alabama | Registered: May 22, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Joe Clark, Where are you in LA? We used to winter in Dixie, AL. Please send me an e-mail, it is in my profile. Want to ask you about threading TC barrels.

Bill

Posts: 52 | Location: WNY | Registered: January 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Joe Clark,

Moss Hill?

Gordon

Posts: 122 | Location: SW Ala | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I just bought a 12 inch barrel that I may want threaded for a brake. Are any of you guys doing it commercially? Please use my e-mail in profile.

Been a long time since I took machine shop. How do you use a steady rest if you are turning between centers with a dog? And, Can you get the lug end of a TC barrel into a 3 or 4 jaw chuck? I can not visualize that!

Thanks,

Bill

Posts: 52 | Location: WNY | Registered: January 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post