Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

CLICK HERE for Subscriptions    Specialty Pistols    Specialty Pistols Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Break Action Pistols    Christmas Came a Little Early
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas Came a Little Early Login/Join 

Picture of ttred1956
posted
Just got a new to me Toy. Contender Easy Open frame with 12 inch Custom Shop SS Barrel chambered in 300 Whisper. Previous owner had rim cut so 357 Max Brass can be used. It is fitted with a Vais Brake and wears BullBerry custom furniture. It is topped with a Warne base, 30mm Burris Signature rings and a 6.5 - 20 x50mm Burris MTac scope. Came with 150+ Brass and Redding loading dies. Can't wait to get some ammo loaded and get to the bench.

Hope everyone has a very Happy Thanksgiving
Doug

------------------------------
Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better

Posts: 1807 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: June 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That's a nice find. Enjoy it.

Jon

Posts: 1591 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful rig! I can't wait to see pictures of some groups and maybe some hunting photos as well.

Enjoy your early Christmas present. You deserve it!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 4651 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobcat
posted Hide Post
Really nice pistol! The more I shoot the Whisper the more I like it.

I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity.
General Robert E. Lee

Posts: 2114 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: March 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted Hide Post
She’s a beauty!

Chris

Posts: 658 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That's a beauty for sure and I'll bet it shoots. I have a shooting buddy who says it doesn't matter how it looks as long as it shoots. True enough. But I always say good looks never hurt either. I admit to a little jealousy. Thanks for sharing the pics. Enjoy and merry Christmas!

Posts: 546 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: March 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nice grab!

Posts: 355 | Location: Lone Jack MO | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sure is a beautiful piece.Santa sure knows how to pick emSmile

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
VHA LIFE MEMBER
IBS MEMBER

Posts: 621 | Location: Upstate South Carolina  | Registered: March 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Can you still use the rimless ammo?

Ronnie

Posts: 188 | Location: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: December 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ttred1956
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pacecars:
Can you still use the rimless ammo?

You can, just switch the extractor to rimless
Safe shooting
Doug

Posts: 1807 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: June 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Doug,
That furniture makes my old barrel look impressive. For years it knocked down lots of steel animals when I shot it in IHMSA Unlimited Standing class with a best score of 35/40 about 15 years ago. Hope you enjoy shooting it. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Dave

Posts: 21 | Location: Kokomo,In | Registered: November 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ttred1956
posted Hide Post
Dave,
Thanks for letting me have it. Now if I can just get some ammo loaded. Can't wait to try it out
Happy Thanksging to all as well
Doug

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up an SSK 14" barrel in 300 whisper as well. Curious to what weight bullet everyone is shooting? Also for hunting purposes out to 100yds what weight bullet do you think would be appropriate as the heavier bullets have a fairly low velocity and I don't think the bullets would expand. Nice set up Doug by the way.

Rick

Posts: 3495 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
I’ve used two different hunting bullets in my 10” .300 Whisper. Took several Texas deer with the Hornady 110 V-Max, textbook expansion at ~2200 fps with exits on broadside shots. One deer with the Sierra 220 RN at 1100 fps, complete penetration and a very large wound channel. I’ve taken several deer with this bullet in my .32-20 T/C carbine, identical results. The big Sierra doesn’t need expansion and only loses 50 fps in the first 100 yards. It is stable enough out to 100 yards, the furthest I’ve tried it.

“The 30-06 is the world's most over-rated big game cartridge" - Elmer Keith

Posts: 945 | Location: Superstition Mountains | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
Rick, if you want to make the Whisper "whisper", get 220 gr. Sierra RN over the right dose of WW296 (email me for it), with a can, you'll be estatic on its performance. Whatch for my post next week and you'll see how good it is!

Posts: 1810 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ttred1956
posted Hide Post
Got a few loaded, but neighbors get ill if I test fire after Dark LOL

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Nice, what weight hornady bullet did you go with?

Posts: 3495 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ttred1956
posted Hide Post
Wasn't much of a choice for me. All I had in 30 cal was 168 A Max LOL Don't know what I will eventually go with
Thanks
Doug

posted Hide Post
If she shoots as good as she looks, you are going to be one happy guy. I'm betting she will.

Posts: 99 | Location: idaho falls, Id | Registered: September 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post