Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

CLICK HERE for Subscriptions    Specialty Pistols    Specialty Pistols Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Break Action Pistols    22 Hornet best Contender 10" chambering?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 Hornet best Contender 10" chambering? Login/Join 

Picture of J A
posted
I've got a Bullberry 10" barrel (Wilson 1-12 twist) that may be the best 10" barrel I could possibly have.

Just as a thought experiment, is there a better 10" chambering to have in my Contender pistol stable? I have a 14" scoped 25-45 Sharps, a 14" scoped 357 Mag, a 10" open-sight 45 LC. I also have a 14" 223 that I haven't decided whether I should sell or throw on a Burris 2-7 and keep it just because.

I can keep 4 pistol rigs up an running at any given time. It sort of feels like between the 25-45, .357, .45, and 22H, I'm covered for anything I could hope to do with a pistol. My carbines cover a lot of hunting requirements with 30-30 AI and 6.5 Bullberry.

So...is my 22 Hornet the best chambering I could have or should I be lusting after something else? Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 2361 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: March 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Need to throw in a 22 Short, 22 lr and 45/410. I would also like a 10" 17 HMR but I am not ready to cut my super 14 yet.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Missouri | Registered: December 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I can not imagine not owning a 22 Rimfire Barrel. My Old Original Contender purchased around 1992, is now my dedicated 22 Rimfire Practce/Trigger Time pistol. In the next Five weeks before deer season I will fire several hundred rounds through this barrel. I am sure over a year period I will shoot a box of 22 Rimfire for every round of center fire I fire through my G2's and Encores.

Bob R

Posts: 222 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of J A
posted Hide Post
You know, I've had 22lr, 22mag and 17HRM in various pistol and carbine configurations and I've just never gotten very excited about rimfire in the Contender. Probably because I have a Ruger 77/22 that's as accurate as any 22 I've ever shot.
The 22mag was my favorite and is one that I'd definitely consider owning again but the Hornet covers 22 Mag ballistics and then some and goes a long way towards 223 capability. The Hornet can still be loaded for around what it costs to buy 22 Mag ammo.
I'm sure if a rimfire barrel came along at the right time, I'd be tempted to snap it up. Smile

Posts: 2361 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: March 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of blades
posted Hide Post
kinda depends on the hunting rules your area. here rimfires are allowed for small game but not small centerfire.

Posts: 487 | Location: WI | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a 10" stainless T/C in 22 Hornet that is incredibly accurate with 35-40 grains bullets. Picked it up about 5 years ago for short range groundhog hunting around barn lot. I'm not to big on the short barrels in the contender platform. Just me but don't like the feel of handling them.
I squirrel hunt with a 10" 22LR but run it suppressed most of the time.

My choice for other calibers suited for the 10" barrel would be a 38 special for plinking/target or the 30 Herrett for a compact hunting rig.

Posts: 215 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: May 19, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
Best, for what?

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6469 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of J A
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blades:
kinda depends on the hunting rules your area. here rimfires are allowed for small game but not small centerfire.

No restrictions in Texas except that deer hunting has to be done with centerfire. I've taken a number of deer with a 22 Hornet - Ruger 77/22H. I don't have any reason to use a 10" Hornet for deer but it will work great for turkeys, rabbits, coyotes, etc. A lot of hunters will take pigs with a 22lr with a well-placed shot. No reason that couldn't be done with the Hornet if the opportunity presented itself, though I'd want to be dead certain of shot placement.
The Hornet will always be a predominately target gun but it's nice to know it's capable of taking game.

Picture of J A
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kylongrifle:

My choice for other calibers suited for the 10" barrel would be a 38 special for plinking/target or the 30 Herrett for a compact hunting rig.

I do really like both of those. The 38 is especially tempting. I'd almost rather have my .357 in a 10" rather than 14", though. Easy to load up or down that way.

Picture of J A
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bi**0:
Best, for what?

Best for whatever my other barrels/chambering don't already have covered. Turkeys, small game, plinking, target. Yes, I can do all those things with one of the other barrels, but the Hornet seems to sit in a nice spot in terms of capability.

posted Hide Post
Best chambering of a 10"contender barrel is the original ...
The .30 Herrett.
Extremely eazy to load for.
Very...very accurate.

Posts: 83 | Location: Missouri | Registered: June 02, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim:
The .30 Herrett.
Very...very accurate.

But a pain to form cases for. My best 10" is the 357 Max, well and the 22LR

thumbup Rod

Posts: 6469 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of J A
posted Hide Post
quote:

Gotta say, I like the idea of a Max. I think I'd rather have it in a 14" for the added velocity. How's the muzzle blast in a 10"? I had a 445 Supermag in a 10" for a short while. Big Grin Big Grin

Picture of Bobcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim:
The .30 Herrett.
Very...very accurate.

What Tim said!!!

I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity.
General Robert E. Lee

Posts: 1956 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: March 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My favorite 10" tender barrel hands down is the 30 Badger, that can be mild or wild as I choose. Next is my 357 mag, again I have mild and wild loads for it. I will never part with either one of them two barrels. I also have a wadcutter only 38special 10 incher with a 12 twist just for 50 yard plinking with homecast wadcutters.

357MAX (2), 30Herrets(2) 256WIN (2) 7TCU and a few other 10 inchers have come and gone. Still have a 8 and 10 inch 44MAG that I treat like 44specials with cast bullets just for play and close range deer. My own home cast bullets is likely my largest decision maker with annoying muzzle blast a very close second. The older I get the less I find obnoxious muzzle blast fun. In fact right now I am considering a 10 inch 32Long to match my 18" carbine barrel to make a matched pair.

----------------------------------

Happiness is a target rich environment.

Posts: 302 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
quote:
The .30 Herrett. Extremely eazy to load for. Very...very accurate.

While I’ve had three .30 Herrett barrels and loved them (including my original barrel purchased in 1976 which I still own and shoot), the .22 Hornet was one of the original Contender chamberings, not the Herrett.

Case forming the Herrett is not for the casual reloader either, so if you want a .308 10” hunting barrel the .300 BO is probably a better choice. Not quite the equal of the Herrett ballistically, it is still adequate for everything the Herrett is suitable for. Mine shoots as well as the Herrett, not quite as well as my .30 Carbine barrel. All are factory, not custom.

Posts: 853 | Location: Valley of the Sun | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of J A
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357maximum:
My favorite 10" tender barrel hands down is the 30 Badger, that can be mild or wild as I choose. Next is my 357 mag, again I have mild and wild loads for it. I will never part with either one of them two barrels. I also have a wadcutter only 38special 10 incher with a 12 twist just for 50 yard plinking with homecast wadcutters.

357MAX (2), 30Herrets(2) 256WIN (2) 7TCU and a few other 10 inchers have come and gone. Still have a 8 and 10 inch 44MAG that I treat like 44specials with cast bullets just for play and close range deer. My own home cast bullets is likely my largest decision maker with annoying muzzle blast a very close second. The older I get the less I find obnoxious muzzle blast fun. In fact right now I am considering a 10 inch 32Long to match my 18" carbine barrel to make a matched pair.

Those sound great.
Here's the full list of 10-inch (or close) barrels I've had over the years, not counting the 45 LC and 22H Bullberry that I have now:

38 match Bullberry 8"
44 mag vent rib (rechambered to 445 supermag)
22 Hornet Bullberry
357 match Bullberry
30 Herrett
357 Herrett
7 TCU (twice)
357 (hot shot?)
44 hot shot
222 Octagon
22LR
7-30 Waters
22 Hornet Octagon
41 Mag
44 mag
22 mag 11" Virgin Valley 11"

Every single one of them has had their place. There aren't many that I wouldn't take a stab at again if the opportunity arises, but with all of them, pretty much been there, done that. Smile
The only two that I never regretted getting rid of were the 7-30 Waters (too much cartridge for the barrel length) and the 445 Supermag (unwise decision to rechamber).
Most just went by the wayside in trades, etc. A few I had to get rid of during a rough patch. The ones I wish I hadn't gotten rid of were the 38 Special Match Bullberry and my first 22 Hornet Bullberry (also the .357 Match Bullberry but I've got a 14" version of that one now. Smile )

posted Hide Post
Don't forget the Fireball !! It was designed in a 10 3/4' barrel !!

Posts: 57 | Location: titusville,nj | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J A:
quote:

How's the muzzle blast in a 10"?

It's not bad, really. I wouldn't want to shoot it without plugs or muffs tho. Recoil isn't bad either. Way less than a 44 mag.

thumbup Rod

Picture of J A
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's not bad, really. I wouldn't want to shoot it without plugs or muffs tho. Recoil isn't bad either. Way less than a 44 mag.

I always liked 357 mag in a 10". I guess Max might be at least as suitable as a 44Mag for that length. thumbup

posted Hide Post
I have had two 10" .357 Max barrels. One a factory version and the first was one that was rechambered by Bellm TCs. Both were very accurate with 180 grain bullets but the blast/noise was intolerable. It is the only gun/caliber that I've fired while hunting where I actually noticed the noise and blast. Out of my Super 14, not so much.

I like ten inch barrels for their portability and to me they seem more in the spirit of what a hunting pistol should be. I enjoy my rimfire barrels and, as has been previously stated, shoot them more than any other caliber I have.

My current favorite centerfire caliber in the ten inch is also the .30 Herrett. Not too useful here in Ohio with the straight wall cartridge restrictions but there is always PA hunting.

I received a large quantity of brass when I bought it so that hasn't been an issue. Much more enjoyable to shoot for me than the Max in the same barrel length.

Posts: 316 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: June 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post