Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

CLICK HERE for Subscriptions    Specialty Pistols    Specialty Pistols Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Break Action Pistols    Your favorite small caliber barrel?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your favorite small caliber barrel? Login/Join 

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted
In the last couple years I've definitely gravitated away from the heavy boomers towards the smaller calibers. 300BLK has become my favorite cartridge, much more wrist friendly. That said, 32 calibers have also become a favorite. 32 mag & 32-20 are 2 that I've been wanting to get in pistol barrels.

Am I the only one or are others also enjoying these lighter recoiling cartridges?

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19360 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FyrepowrX
posted Hide Post
have gotten pretty fond of smaller stuff over the last few years also, and i like the .32's in both pistol & carbine versions....less noise, less recoil, cheap to shoot, cast-bullet friendly. i dont do any long range stuff, just poking around in the woods, plinking, & hunting the timber, so the small .30's work well for that for me....and, its nice to shoot stuff that easily gets a thousand loads or more out of a pound of powder.

In .32mag, i have a 6" SSK, a 14" TC Custom shop, and a short MGM carbine barrel.

In 32/20 i have a 10" factory, an MGM tapered carbine, and a TC custom shop bull carbine.

i do like the 30reece too, but i probably shoot the 32/20 a bit more often.

=================================

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies."
Groucho Marx

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”
Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Posts: 7256 | Location: North-Eastern Oklahoma | Registered: September 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
A couple years ago I picked up an SSK 32-20 carbine barrel. Haven't had a chance to work with it yet but was excited to get it! I'm sure it'll be a fun varmint/ plinker.

mike

Posts: 19360 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well, I guess it has to be a 22LR. Ever since I threaded it for the suppressor and made it into an auto ejector it pretty much makes ever trip to the range.

Aaron

Posts: 2645 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Probably my .22LR, just because of how much pork it has put in my freezer.

Posts: 198 | Location: TX | Registered: July 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The older I get the more I gravitate to the smaller less recoil stuff as well. 300 blackout has become one of my favorites as well!

Chris

Posts: 457 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobcat
posted Hide Post
I love the .30 calibers in the Contender platform but I too have been looking at smaller and/or cast bullet friendly rounds. My current favorites are the .22 Squirrel, though I haven't shot it too much and the .25/20. I have a set of .30 Reece dies and some brass ready to go if I ever come up with a barrel. Speaking of the .30 Reece, has anyone heard from Carson lately?

I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity.
General Robert E. Lee

Posts: 1956 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: March 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
For "small", probably my 22 Hornet barrel. Crazy accurate with my handloads.

Posts: 789 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Fast twist 223 Remington, and the 22 Creed, also with a fast twist barrel.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
SEB Coaxial Front Rest - Dealer
http://sebrests-usa.com/
http://www.sebrests.com/
SP's by Mac's Gunworks, H-S Precision, Holland's, Aaron Alexander, Chris Rhodes, & Nine Run Gun

Posts: 11980 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
32-20 12 inch TCA barrel. I don't have a 300 Whisper/Blackout but I wouldn't mind having one. My second favorite is my 15 inch, with muzzle tamer, Custom Shop barrel in 357 mag.

Posts: 32 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
30-20/32-20for sure.
Those with a 32-20 and .308 bore, it will do what the 30x221 variations will. I have run CB’s in mine for years. 110-180’s.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was a G One!

Posts: 2899 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Fast twist 223 and 20 VT are my two favorites.

Posts: 57 | Location: Clarksville, TN | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
It’s a toss up for me between my 10” bull .30 Carbine and the 10” tapered .30 Herrett. Or maybe the 10” bull .300 Whisper.....

Posts: 853 | Location: Valley of the Sun | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Favorite "small" cartridge is a Contender in 22 Hornet with a 1-16" twist, shooting .22 caliber air rifle pellets.

Low noise, zero recoil and far cheaper than a 22 long rifle.

David

Posts: 135 | Location: Oklahoma / Wyoming | Registered: June 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have three I'm really enjoy shooting. A 13" MGM in 17 squirrel has to be my favorite. Then a 13" Gary Reeder barrel in 240 Banshee followed by a 12" Bullberry in 256 Win mag.
I have a 15" MGM in 32-20 (308) that I got just for a cast bullet shooter but I haven't found a combo that works for me just yet. Once I get it dialed in I will be shooting it a lot in my short back yard range.

Posts: 215 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: May 19, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sheriff
posted Hide Post
I have numerous 'small caliber barrel, but my favorite is th 10" 32 (308)=20 from MGM.

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, (ret)

Posts: 862 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of halo7b
posted Hide Post
As a die hard varmint guy, I like the smaller stuff. For me it's a test to see how far out I can put them down with a caliber not intended to reach out to said distances.

While the big bore stuff and the flat line shooter are in my quiver, I like the small stuff best, 221FB, !7R, 256wm, Hornet, 222, 30-20tc, 32H-R, 30car, 300Wisper, 22spitfire, and of course rimfires (secretly a rimfire junky)

Halo7b (Jim)

Posts: 370 | Location: S. East Mi. | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35isit
posted Hide Post
I like the smaller ones also. .22 and 25-20 are my favorites. May add a 30-20 in the future. Have one 14 inch .22 with a Weaver T36 on it.

Greg
Ky State Director IHMSA
Hunter Ed Instructor
Life Member NRA
7/27/2010 80x80

Posts: 1131 | Location: CENTRAL KY | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ttred1956
posted Hide Post
I would have to go with a 20 VarTarg. Have it in a 1.25 OTT step Barrel and love it
Safe shooting
Doug

Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better

Posts: 1681 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: June 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
My favorite hands down is the 20 Vartarg. Cheap to load, super accurate and down right explosive on the squirrels/dogs. I also really like my 22BR.
-Derek >>>--------->

Posts: 805 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
17 Mach 1V/ fireball. It’s my critter gitter

"The World Spins Forward"

Posts: 2620 | Location: lake of the ozarks, mo. | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
6mm/222mag(6x47) or 6mm/223(6x45)

Surprise!! Big Grin

Actually kinda semi small scratch head

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9288 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'd have to say my 12" Bullberry 17hmr bull barrel. It's like a laser beam from 25-100 yards.

Posts: 124 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: November 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have an older super 14 in .223 with a 3X12 Burris and Bullberry hanger bar stock set up that I would never let go

Posts: 426 | Location: terryville, ct | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Right now its a 12" scalloped barrel from TCs custom shop in 256 Win Mag.

Posts: 9 | Location: USA | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
I have a fast twist 1-8 22 Hornet threaded for a can that I like shooting using 69 HP's subsonic, I used it to take several ground hogs out to 45-50 yards.

Also have a 25-20 throated for 75 grainers also using a can subsonic.

Have a VVCG 256 Win mag that I've actually taken 4 deer with all one shot kills using 75 Vmaxes, those thing really leave nice wound channel.

Another I really like shooting is a 270 REN using 90 TNT's, they leave a really nice hole in a squirrel

The 5mm Rem mag RF is another one I like shooting, have brass and reloading dies for it and the barrel is threaded for a can. Squirrel heads just disappear when shot there and shooting a Racoon in the head side to side it just popped one eyeball right out. Big Grin

Albert
Life Member NRA
Navy Submarine Veteran

Posts: 10455 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
Raccoon

Albert
Life Member NRA
Navy Submarine Veteran

Posts: 10455 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
If this is too graphic let me know and I will delete it.

Albert
Life Member NRA
Navy Submarine Veteran

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HotRodAl:
If this is too graphic let me know and I will delete it.
laugh I think it's just fine! I'd say most of us that hunt have produced a similar specimen at one time or another! Big Grin

quote:
I have a fast twist 1-8 22 Hornet threaded for a can that I like shooting using 69 HP's subsonic, I used it to take several ground hogs out to 45-50 yards
Your using a bullet like a 69 Matchking subsonic? Very accurate?

mike

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HotRodAl:
I have a fast twist 1-8 22 Hornet threaded for a can that I like shooting using 69 HP's subsonic, I used it to take several ground hogs out to 45-50 yards.

Also have a 25-20 throated for 75 grainers also using a can subsonic.

Have a VVCG 256 Win mag that I've actually taken 4 deer with all one shot kills using 75 Vmaxes, those thing really leave nice wound channel.

Another I really like shooting is a 270 REN using 90 TNT's, they leave a really nice hole in a squirrel

The 5mm Rem mag RF is another one I like shooting, have brass and reloading dies for it and the barrel is threaded for a can. Squirrel heads just disappear when shot there and shooting a Racoon in the head side to side it just popped one eyeball right out. Big Grin

Albert that's a nice collect of small fun stuff.

Jon

Posts: 1524 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
(Your using a bullet like a 69 Matchking subsonic? Very accurate?)

Yes the Matchkings are very accurate and I also shoot Hornady 75 HPBT's in it and they are just as accurate.

Albert
Life Member NRA
Navy Submarine Veteran

Picture of Knucklehead 61
posted Hide Post
Besides 22LR, I have to admit a preference for 223 and 6mm TCU. I've also had a thing with 17 Rem. About to try 221 FB and see where that goes.
Yes, the little guys are easier on the wrist and the wallet than the Loudenboomers. As I get older, I don't seem to have the urge to touch off a 308 or 45-70 very often. Smile

Posts: 28 | Location: south of the piney woods | Registered: December 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It has to be my 14" .22 "K" Hornet. I also have a 21" carbine in the same round, so it could be a toss up.

kware

Posts: 194 | Location: Western Missouri | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I think my 22 Jet is just behind by Hornet.

Posts: 106 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
I also have a 22 CCM Custom shop barrel and a 218 Bee, haven't shot the Bee for a couple years now but had the CCM out this summer.

Along with the 20 Classic which is a screamer, and the ever favorite 30 Herrett.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HotRodAl,

Albert
Life Member NRA
Navy Submarine Veteran

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
I have always like the .223 in my Contender 14" barrel but I think my favorite in all small calibers would be the 222 Rem Mag XP for #1. Can shoot 50 to 60 grain bullets and different powders. With the 60 grain Sierra flat base HP it is a laser out to about 200 yards and very destructive. Second would be my Encore MGM 22 WMR barrel with old rifle scope, 15" barrel. It likes most brands of ammo but strangely it likes the less expensive Armscore. Got this from Ed's Contenders while in his shop for another barrel. nuts Imagine that. Went in for one and cone out with two barrels, scope bases, fronds, and 500 rounds of ammo. Addictive!
Mike

---------------------------------
: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Posts: 2986 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 223Larry
posted Hide Post
223 most economical round , you can down load to hornet or 22mag velocities .brass very abundant. What's not to like.

Posts: 158 | Location: Waterford,Calif | Registered: November 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
Yes.....although I mentioned something else earlier in the thread. My lowly factory 14” .223 barrel is NOT for sale. Great barrel

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9288 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HandCanonShootr
posted Hide Post
.223 My VVCG 12" Encore bbl has been shooting .3MOA for over 15yrs, brass available, AR15 shooters & P-Dogs hate it...

As a toss-up 7TCU, cant say enough about this great caliber, my 16.25"MGM 'Tender shoots so well, exceeding my .3MOA standard to 300 yds.

Funny how these are my "small" rounds...

Mike B

----------------------------
Everything in excess!
To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
Moderation is for monks.

-Lazarus Long

To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth—
This was the ancient Law of Youth.
Old times are past, Old days are done:
But the Law runs True, O Little Son!

-Charles T. Davis

Posts: 1516 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: December 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post