Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

CLICK HERE for Subscriptions    Specialty Pistols    Specialty Pistols Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting Log's    Shooting The 22 Cooper Center Fire Magnum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting The 22 Cooper Center Fire Magnum Login/Join 

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted

(Pic for case comparison)

Gun / Brass / Reloading Details
  • Gun: TC G2
  • Barrel: 14" Stainless On Target Technologies (1-12" twist)
  • Scope: Bushnell Banner 6x-24x TT AO (previously a Nikon 2.5x-8x EER)
  • Brass: Schroeder (Steve Schroeder, 1421 Thermal Ave, San Diego, CA 92154, 619-423-3523) 01/30/08 Current price is $32/50 + shipping.
  • Dies: CH4D, RCBS Custom (full length size) or use 22jet, hornet, 5.7x28, etc... (to neck size only which is highly recommended)
  • Shellholder: CH4D or RCBS

22 Cooper Center Fire Magnum

UNDER 40 GRAINS

OVER 40 GRAINS

22 Magnum (in the 22ccm barrel)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Magnum Mike,
  •  
    Posts: 19314 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    Todays Results!!

• Bullet: Hornady 35 V-Max
  • Podwer: AA#9
  • Distance: 50 Yards

Todays loads ALL used the Hornady 35 V-max and AA#9 powder. I wasnt able to get anything else loaded this week, flippin' home improvement projects. All loads are safe in my gun/barrel and the bullet is seated .015" off the lands.

09/23/04 22CCM Groups
    Click For Full Size Pic!

I hope to load additional test ammo with the 35 vmax and AA#9, H110 & lil gun. I also want to load some with these powders and the Speer 33 TNT and a few other bullets for testing later this week of next weekend.

•  
    Posts: 19314 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    Today's Results

• Bullets: Hornady 35 V-Max & Speer 33 TNT
  • Powder: H110
  • Primer: WSP
  • Case: Schroeder
  • Distance: 50 Yards

Click for full size pic

Hornady 35 V-Max - Sure wish i had a chrono as H110 appears to have an edge in this cartridge!! All loads were safe in my gun.

Speer 33 TNT - The three loads that i shot today showed a definite preference for speed! Each group decreased by over .300" with only a tenth grain difference!!

Notes:
  • Because of limited case capacity, all loads are being worked up a tenth of a grain.
  • I decided to try H110 since Lil Gun seemed to be a fit in this round as opposed to AA#9. I like #9 but in an effort to reduce on hand powders i decided to work with H110.
  • The Hornady 35 V-Max is .015" off the lands.
  • H110 shows the same "dirty bore" as #9.
  • Next load ramp will also be with H110, ramping up to 7.1 grains.

mike
    ------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

•  

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    22 WMR Specs
    The 22CCM is about .100" longer than the WMR and the base of the cartridge is slightly larger too (around .005"). I did try the 22mag in this barrel and groups were slightly larger BUT would be acceptable for 50 yard and shorter small game duty.

I am very seriously considering having a 10" 22lr barrel (1-16" twist) rechambered to 22ccm for use with the lightest 22 caliber bullets....

mike

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    Today's Results

All of todays groups are 5 shots @ 50 yards (unless otherwise noted)

Hornady 35 V-Max
  • H110 Powder
  • WSP Primer

6.8 - .901"
    6.9 - .599"
    7.0 - .270" !!
    7.1 - .555"

Comments: These load are still not max in my gun.

Sierra 40 HP
  • H110 Powder
  • WSPM Primer

5.9 - .654"
    6.0 - .832"

Comments: Not max...

Bullshop Lyman 53 FNGC
  • H110 Powder
  • WSPM Primer

5.0 - .909" 10 Shot Average

Final Comments: The substitution on a MAGNUM primer did NOT help with the "dirty bore". Accuracy of the 35 V-Max is improving with the higher pressures. I am going to continue working with the Hornady 35 V-Max and the Sierra 40 HP at this point until max loads are found and the best overall groups.

More to come! Big Grin

mike

•  

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    Today's Results

Hornady 35 V-Max - Both groups shot today were very consistent!

Sierra 40 HP - All loads shot well. I noticed a tendency for this load to print the first round from a cold barrel VERY high, by as much as 1/2"!!

Overall? Still very happy wiht this barrel. Inasmuch as i reached a compressed load with H110 and the Hornady 35vmax, it is still not max in this barrel. Looks like its time to start with another bullet since i have no where else to go with it. More to come! Big Grin

Picture of DLJ
    posted Hide Post
    Very Nice reports bud! That project is progressing nicely.

Dave

Posts: 2094 | Location: Shenandoah Valley  | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
    Interesting (accurate) cartridge. Velocities? Parent case?

Posts: 62 | Location: NH | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
    posted Hide Post
    4X4 with my 22ccm I'm getting 22mag rifle velocities out of a pistol barrel, the parent case is the 22CCM, Big Grin there is also a 17CCM, bassically its a reloadable 22 rimfire mag.

Albert
    Life Member NRA
    Navy Submarine Veteran

Posts: 10432 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    Todays Results with 22 WMR AMMO!!

• 50 Yards
  • 10 Shot Groups

Click For Larger Pic
    Click for larger pic

Notes:
    As you can see 22mags shoot well from this barrel, some better than others. Since the pic is kinda poor the groups sizes are:
  • PMC Predator 40gr JSP- 10 shots - .918"
  • Remington Premier 33gr V-Max - 7 shots - .875"
  • Winchester Supreme 34gr JHP - 10 shots - 1.923" Eek Confused
  • CCI TNT 30gr JHP - 10 shots - 1.519"
  • CCI Gold Dot 50gr JHP - 10 shots - .800"

This barrel is a 1-12" twist and it obviously likes the heavier bullets. I think if i were to do another it would be a 14 or 16 twist...

I did dispatch some "starlings" with the Gold Dot load, made short work of 'em! devil Impressive performance!! Big Grin SURE GLAD that this barrel is a contender or i wouldnt have had the opportunity to shoot both the CCM and the WMR's. I'm not sure who's idea it was to pick the cartridge/format but they did me a great service by doing so. More to come.... thumbup

mike

•  

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    Update of:
    Berger 35's
    Sierra 40BK's
    Win 46's
    Hornady 45's

mike

Picture of HotRodAl
    posted Hide Post
    Wow Mike those 35 Bergers really shoot in your CCM, I might have to try some in mine.

Albert
    Life Member NRA
    Navy Submarine Veteran

Posts: 10432 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Otter
    posted Hide Post
    Cool,
    I found this thread,
    I have a couple year old unfired Virgin Valley 10" SS 22CCM barrel comming in a couple days with 100 fresh brass and dies. I have a supply of Lilgun on hand, So I'll work up a load with that. Glad to be a member of the 22CCM club

Boomer Rangers go BOOM
    Sing unto him a new song; play skillfully with a loud noise. (Psalm 33:3)
    Age Quod Agis

" I keep these here for their aesthetic and sentimental value".....
    Hattori Honzo

John Cook
    aka Otter

Posts: 3373 | Location: Arkansas Ozarks | Registered: September 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    UPDATE!

Today i shot the CCM with the addition of a Simmons 4.5-14 rifle scope, WOW, what a difference. Adding all that magnification really makes it easier to shoot lil groups. Big Grin

Bullets shot today are the Berger 30's from 7.3-7.6 grains and the Barnes 36 Varmint Grenade from 7.0-7.3 grains. Both are keepers!

mike

Picture of Otter
    posted Hide Post
    Cool Mike,
    I'll have to try some of those lighter bullets with my lil'gun loads
    I'm going to shoot the 22 CCM and 5.7x28 side by side for comparison with 40 gr V-max this week. Think I can keep goin up with the lil'gun
    Last time I worked up to 7 grn's with 35 grn V-max and no pressure signs. Even shot some 55grn cast boolits pretty well.

Boomer Rangers go BOOM
    Sing unto him a new song; play skillfully with a loud noise. (Psalm 33:3)
    Age Quod Agis

" I keep these here for their aesthetic and sentimental value".....
    Hattori Honzo

John Cook
    aka Otter

Posts: 3373 | Location: Arkansas Ozarks | Registered: September 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    While i like the looks of the Berger bullets, and they seem to shoot well, they are too expensive for just blasing vermin and informal targets. From the charts above, i think i will work more on the Barnes VG...

mike

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    Some time ago i decided to get this thing set up for vermin buster duty so i picked up a set of factory rubbers for it, drilled the forend for a swivel stud and swapped scopes. After i get it sighted in it will be ready for some crow busting! devil

mike

posted Hide Post
    Sure looks like a "Crow Buster" to me! I've enjoyed reading this post, It has perked my interest in the 22CCM to where I just might have to add that barrel to my collection. Thanks Mike

Darryl Cool

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    If you can't eat it or play with it,
    Just pee on it and walk away.

Posts: 3253 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida USA | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Jeff B.
    posted Hide Post
    looking good there Mike.

Posts: 9672 | Location: Ephrata, PA, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
    posted Hide Post
    nice! i like G2 factory rubber. always interesting to hear on the ccm, so keep em comin.

------------------------
    ~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9272 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of palgeno
    posted Hide Post
    Mike---Using my 10 inch barrel with 4x Leupy scope, my results appear to be very close to yours.
    A few slight differences and new information follows:
    6/11/2008 75 degrees, high humidity:

5 rounds; 36 gr Barnes VG/7.2gr H110 Avg= 1840 fps ES=54 SD=25
    1.1825 fps
    2.1816 Accuracy 1/4 inch @25 yds

5 rounds; 35 gr Hdy Vmax/ 7.2gr H110 Avg=1979 ES=43 SD=18
    1.1981 fps
    2.1998 Accuracy 3/8 inch @ 25 yds

I also decided to try something different with the 33 gr Speer HP.
    5 rounds; 33 gr Speer HP/3.5 gr Unique: Avg=1833 fps ES=81 SD=32
    1.1804 fps
    2.1885 Accuracy 5/8 inch @ 25 yds
    I reasoned that the Speer bullet and the .22CCM case together looked like a minature .44 magnum. (Might experiment more with Unique and the Speer bullet.)
    None of the loads showed over pressure signs such as flattened primers
    and actually were pretty mild.
    Comparing the performance of my 10 inch .22CCM vs 10 inch .22 Mag, the main advantage I see is being able to use the 36 gr Barnes Grenade bullet.The Speer 33 grainer looks interesting and the 35 gr VMax really is pretty fast. Next test will be performance on game.
    Gene

This message has been edited. Last edited by: palgeno,

Posts: 646 | Location: Tucson | Registered: December 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks for posting your experience Gene! Looks like your barrel is a shooter too. I havent made the time to do anymore work with mine and various bullets, just loaded up some with the intention of chuck hunting (aint happened).

The Hornady bullet shot well in mine but the Barnes VG has a much nicer profile Big Grin and we all know that makes 'em shoot better. laugh

Keep us posted. Wink

mike

Picture of palgeno
    posted Hide Post
    The 33 gr Speer HP seemed pretty good with 3.5gr Unique so I decided to pursue a little further and found a sweet spot at 3.8 gr Unique.
    Round 1.2055fps
    Average =2035fps all within .067%

Posts: 646 | Location: Tucson | Registered: December 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of palgeno
    posted Hide Post
    On a lark, I went out yesterday to try Power Pistol with the 33 gr Speer HP.
    Long story short---sweet spot was 4.5 gr PP
    5 rounds averaged 2125fps
    5.2104 not as consistent in velocity but very accurate---one little hole at 25 yards, just like the 3.8 gr Unique but faster.
    I think I might just stick with Power Pistol.Gene

Picture of palgeno
    posted Hide Post
    I decided to try Power Pistol with the 36 gr Barnes Varmint Grenade and Win. Small Pistol primers. I started at 4.2 gr.PP and worked up to 4.5gr.PP. The groups got tigter as I worked up and 4.5gr.PP was best and primers began to flatten a bit, but less so than with 7.2 gr H110. Accuracy was one hole at 25 yds. shooting over my chronograph. Here is the chrono data:

36.0 VG/4.5gr.PP/WSP primer
    6.2329 AVG.= 2319fps ES=57 SD=18 or 0.78%
    This is from my 10 inch barrel using a 4x Leupy scope. Ballistic table tells me to zero at 100yds and I will be 1/3" low at 25, 1/2"hi at 60yds, zero at 100 yds, and less than 1 inch low at 120 yds. With the 4x scope, 120 yds is probably out of the question for "squeakies" anyway! Gene

Picture of palgeno
    posted Hide Post
    Went out to the range with the .22 CCM. At 2300 fps, the 36 gr VG over 4.5gr Power Pistol really shoots well. Zeroed at 100 yds this load is less than 1 inch low and less than 1 inch high all the way out to 120. The 4x scope is a little limiting, but will keep me within the killing power of this load. All I need now is a ground squirrel or pocket gopher colony to eradicate!Here's a photo:

Picture of palgeno
    posted Hide Post
    HERE SHE IS ALL DRESSED UP!
    Since this barrel shoots so well, I decided to scope up a little and replaced the Leupy 4x with a Weaver 2.5-8x. Then I got crazy and did a little gold filling project on the frame and barrel.

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    Very cool Gene! Have you had a chance to test those Barnes bullets on vermin?

mike

BANNED

posted Hide Post
    Way Cool Gents!
    D00M

Posts: 9078 | Location: AREA 51 | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of palgeno
    posted Hide Post
    I did in one unfortunate chipmunk at the range last fall which was milling around near my 100 yd target. Total blow up...Barnes has a 30 gr VG coming out in .224 diameter which will probably be better out of the 10 inch .22CCM for the smaller animals. Everything is under snow and ice here just now. Can't shoot rats at the local dumps anymore, but that would be a good test bed for the 36 gr VG. Our groundhog population is off limits because they are a protected species here in Wisconsin. These could be just the right size. Close up, coyotes might be in trouble, but close is the problem. The 62gr VG is very accurate from my 6TCU and has the necessary velocity for coyote hunting. I have not yet tried the 50gr VG in my .223 yet, but that will happen after the spring thaw. Gene

Picture of Leibowitz
    posted Hide Post
    Guys I need some help! I have a 10" 22WMR I would like to have it rechambered .22CCMM. My question is who can chamber it at a reasonable cost and time frame also where can I get brass for it. Thanks much...

Bobby
    Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.

Posts: 634 | Location: Littleton, NC | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    You can get the brass from Steve Schroeder, 1421 Thermal Ave, San Diego, CA 92154, 619-423-3523. You will have to call him for a total and mail him payment as he doesnt do credit cards or the internet.

Check with OTT, not sure the status on him taking in new projects. I dont know who else rechambers to 22ccm, SSK might be one that has a reamer...

mike

Picture of Leibowitz
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks much Mike!

Bobby
    Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.

Posts: 634 | Location: Littleton, NC | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of A17Shooter
    posted Hide Post
    Very interesting to read about the 22 CCM once again. The 22 CCM and it's little brother, the 17 CCM, are both fun cartridges that I believe have a place in the shooting world. Apparently few shooters agree with me. Nice to find a few believers on the SP site.

My 17 Cooper (CCM) TC Carbine was recently resurrected and returned to it's business of slaying CA ground squirrels. Will post details over in the shoulder stock forum. Big Grin

A17Shooter

I hope you voted.
    Now it's time to lobby the lawmakers.

Posts: 177 | Location: Sacramento or West Point, CA | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of palgeno
    posted Hide Post
    I finally got some clear weather to chronograph the Barnes 30 grain Varmint Grenade. I used 5.0 grains of Power Pistol and a CCI BR4 primer. Accuracy was one hole at 25 yards. Long ranges will be tested later on a less windy day.
    Chrono data for 5 shots:
    Average Velocity = 2555 SD=23 CV=0.92%
    (Not too shabby for a 10 inch barrel!)
    This could be a 200 yard load for squeakies.
    Gene

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    I chrono'd my H110/Barnes 36VG load and am surprised to tell you that they are only running 2015 average from my 14" OTT barrel. I had figured they were running quite a bit faster than that.

Accuracy is impressive. I shot a few on paper 50 yards and found it shooting an inch or so high. Couldnt remember what i selected for a zero but its obviously 100 yards. I stuck out a target @ 100 yards that i had made up a few years ago for playing slihouettes with an accurate varmint gun. The chickens are around 3/8" tall. Makes for some interesting shooting especially when you leave your freakin' bipod at home! laugh I used my shooting bag and a rear rest to take on that target. Took a few shots to prefect my zero and then it was time to get to business. Hitting those chickens was a challenge. Turkeys werent easy, pigs a touch easier and the rams werent a challenge. Wink I'll remember to stick a bipod on it for the next range session. Wink

Kinda have the itch to play with this again, might try Lil Gun as everyone sez its the bomb for this round...

mike

In Memory of a great friend. You are missed!

Picture of Tigger
    posted Hide Post
    2015 fps still aint shabby. That's running close to the Winchester Supreme 22 mag ammo with a 34gr bullet, but in a short barrel.

NRA Life member

"It is our destiny to attempt the impossible, to accomplish great deeds regardless of fear"

~SAPHIRA~

Posts: 5264 | Location: with our Heavenly Father | Registered: May 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    Updated pic. Thanks to Mellonhead its now a carbine (faux can). I gotta get out with it...

mike

posted Hide Post
    This thread is very interesting. Granted that I own a factory 14" 22 WRM but the numbers that people are posting out of their 22 CCM's are really intriuging me.

Granted I need a 22 CCM like a hole in the head but it does intrigue me greatly.

Posts: 564 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bigbore44:
    Granted I need a 22 CCM like a hole in the head but it does intrigue me greatly.
    Needs got nuttin to do with it! Big Grin

You can have one of those 22mags punched out and your ready to go. They have the 1-12 twist that is recommended for the 22ccm. Wink

mike

Picture of Mike-Sid
    posted Hide Post
    Mike is there any current source of reloadable brass?? If so I need a 22CCM great posts and work.

Posts: 440 | Location: Oxford CT | Registered: March 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mike-Sid:
    Mike is there any current source of reloadable brass?? If so I need a 22CCM great posts and work.

Steve Schroeder
    1421 Thermal Ave
    San Diego, CA 92154
    619-423-3523.

Albert
    Life Member NRA
    Navy Submarine Veteran

Picture of Mike-Sid
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks Al. Steve is the man ! What a nice guy, full of info, more on that later.

Mike, before I dive in any final words of wisdom? Any more progress on reloads?

Thanks. Mike

Posts: 440 | Location: Oxford CT | Registered: March 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    I havent done anything with it for some time. Like i mention above, no matter what powder you go with i would work up .1 at a time and watch your seating depth, not a lot of case capacity.

Also, as long as loads are kept reasonable, you can use 22 Hornet dies to load CCMs. Basically the sizer "neck sizes" and the seater works fine. I just ordered a Redding micrometer seater for my Hornet dies to make using different bullets easier.

Its Hornet brass so go slow and be careful. Ohter than that, have fun!

How much is brass now? I think i am gonna order more.

mike

Picture of Mike-Sid
    posted Hide Post
    Great Mike. Brass is $32 for 50. He said price increase soon .

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    Thats the same price it was in Jan of 2008 and he told me it was going up then! laugh How much did he tell you to include for shipping? I think i am going to get another 100...

mike

Picture of Mike-Sid
    posted Hide Post
    Mike, he told me shipping is "about" $6.50. How many reloads do you get out of a case?
    Mike

Picture of Mike-Sid
    posted Hide Post
    I just got my 100 cases today, The barrel, dies, and more cases are due any day now!! I bought these as a package from the classified section. The barrel might have been Otter's at one time. Big Grin

Picture of Mike-Sid
    posted Hide Post
    I'm just loading up my first batch, while shut in from the impending bilzzard. Has anyone been playing with the .22CCM???

Picture of Mike-Sid
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Magnum Mike:
    Thats the same price it was in Jan of 2008 and he told me it was going up then! laugh How much did he tell you to include for shipping? I think i am going to get another 100...

I called Steve to buy more 22CCM brass,looks like the price finally went up! I was expecting a big price increase with all the shortages. I called last year and he could not get the hornet brass to make the cases. They went up $3 per 50, now they are $35 for 50 with $6.50 shipping! I bought 200 more cases, that should last me a loooooong time.
    For fun I looked on RCBS's web site at the 22CCM dies...WOW they are almost $200 RCBS 22CCM die set

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    And, really, other than the neck expanding die, you can use 22 hornet sizer to neck size. That's all I've done since Steve advised I should to reduce case loss.

The last I loaded, iirc, I didn't even run an expander thru. I neck sized with a Hornet fl sizer and seated bullets. I should get a type s sizer for the hornet, then I could really control the neck tension and reduce over working. Such a fun little case to work with. I'd even thought about a 17ccm since I enjoy it so much.

I should order a couple hundred more myself since I have 2 barrels...

mike

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    Just a bump to see if anyone else is running this little round?

I might try mine at some 'chucks this summer if I can ever get the time to get out!

mike

posted Hide Post
    Ordered barrel yesterday from MGM, sending in order for brass tomorrow.
    I am pretty excited to start working with the 22 CCM, looks to fit the bill for exactly what I have been looking for.
    Has anyone been doing any shooting lately- any updates.
    Thanks
    Mike

Posts: 9 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: March 21, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    Unfortunately, I haven't. I've removed the faux can from my OTT barrel in preparation for threading. Once it's threaded, I'll be back at it.

I also have a rechambered 10" 22 mag barrel that I need to start working on but I really want to get it threaded first. (Can you tell I'm hooked on suppressors?)

I had great success with H110 and most bullets.

What twist rate did you go with?

mike

posted Hide Post
    I went with 12", 1-12 hoping to work in the 35-50gr area. I really looked hard at the 1-14 but was afraid I would not be able to stabilize the 50gr bullets.
    I have my eyes on a the 37gr and 45gr NOE mold but am leaning toward that 45-WFN.
    H110 is one of my main pistol powders so really glad it will work great with the 22 CCM.
    Have you tried Unique or Bullseye with any success?
    Saw the pics of yours with the suppressor and added that to my "have to have" list for this build.
    Ordered a shell holder yesterday and now to track down some dies and I will be in business.
    Mike

Posts: 9 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: March 21, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    As I note above, you can use 22 Hornet dies. I got ccm dies from ch4d but use the hornet dies now, much less abusive to the brass. They'll only neck size but I've not needed any more then that. We have the hornet dies in stock, if you want to try that route.

All the powders I've tried are noted above. For me, H110 seemed to be the ticket.

My ott barrel is a 1-12 and it's shot well with all the bullet weights I've tried.

mike

posted Hide Post
    Thanks, I have a set of Hornet dies and will neck size as advised. Shell holder I ordered showed up yesterday and they sent me a 7.65 French MAS and not 22 CCM, and other than special order they don't stock them anymore, so now to track down a shell holder.
    H110 is one of my most used powders so will start with that based on your above data and work up .1 at a time.
    I sure appreciate the advice!
    Mike

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    It's an exceedingly fun little cartridge. With all the fly weight bullets in 22 caliber that are available now, you can enjoy loads/accuracy testing to your heart's content without devouring pounds of powder. The complete lack of recoil lends to more accurate shooting, too. Report is mild and we'll be even more mild once I get my barrels threaded! Smile Looking forward to your shooting reports.

mike

posted Hide Post
    Brass and barrel came in today, still trying to track down a shell holder though.
    MGM does a fine job, nice looking barrel. Brass looks good too.
    I shot a few 22 mag through it just to shoot it and once I find a shell holder I will be in business.
    Mike

posted Hide Post
    Well thought I would use a 25 acp shell holder and though the rims are really close it was no cigar as just trying to neck size distorted the rim. Called RCBS today and special ordered one.
    Mike

posted Hide Post
    Got some loaded up, 3grs Bulleye, 45gr Sierra flat base bullet and according to Quickloads should yield just under 1700fp with 12" barrel, mid range load.
    Did not shoot them over Crono but just test fired them for function and fire form brass. I had to chuck brass in drill and run the rims on emery paper as they were all mostly over .310 and needed to be .308, the extractor on the contender did not like the larger rim at all
    They shot great and was surprisingly accurate at 25yrds, did not shoot any further due to time.
    I will work up some H110 loads with the 36gr varmint grenades and let you know what I come up with.
    What a great little cartridge!
    Mike

posted Hide Post
    cry waaa .. I read this thread and think back to the used Cooper rifle in this caliber I passed on a few years back.

Posts: 131 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: January 23, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
    I had some of my brass that would not neck size and required almost full length resizing. 22 Hornet die was not cutting the mustard so with a set of $5.00 used 22 hornet dies, I measured the difference in length between the hornet and 22 CCM. Took the FL sizing die and cut the difference off the bottom and it works like a charm for neck sizing and if needed almost FL resizing. Did the same on the seat/crimp die and what a difference!
    This made a huge difference in the group sizes. I will post a pic of target from next range adventure.
    This contender sure likes this load of 3grs of Bullseye, 45gr SP.
    I think I need a buttstock and 16 or 18" barrel to accompany this thing next. happy
    What a fun little cartridge!

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    So you got better groups from full length sizing?

I always wanted to rechamber a 22 mag carbine barrel to get the faster twist to handle the 40 & up grain bullets. Could rechamber a 22lr barrel and stick to the super light bullets(30-35, etc...).

mike

posted Hide Post
    Not full length resized, only sized about 3/4 way down to rim, any farther down and it shaved brass of the case.
    The brass I received took hours to get into specs, spinning rims down to proper size, not two pieces were the same length, etc, and only way I could ensure all the brass is same-same is to size it all then trim it to the right size.
    But yes it made a significant difference in grouping.
    Mike

Picture of HotRodAl
    posted Hide Post
    I actually have a set of CCM RCBS dies but never have full length sized them just partially sized, I do have a set of cut down 22 hornet dies I first used when I got the barrel.- to size them about half.

Albert
    Life Member NRA
    Navy Submarine Veteran

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    Updated Load Sheet

mike

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    Others data...

mike

posted Hide Post
    Thanks for the data.
    I found 100 pieces of new, nickel, proper head-stamped brass but have not had the time to load anything or do any testing. And the WX is not cooperating at all, strange winter this year.
    I have a couple boxes of the 36gr Varmint Grenades and based on your data it looks to be a winner.
    Picked up a stock and forend, but have not had the time to mess with that either.
    Mike

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    Can't remember the original mfg of properly head stamped brass BUT it was very brittle and splits on first firing were the norm. Not sure if annealing would help or not. Never read anyone attempting it...

mike

Picture of HotRodAl
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Can't remember the original mfg of properly head stamped brass BUT it was very brittle and splits on first firing were the norm. Not sure if annealing would help or not. Never read anyone attempting it...

Mike I have some original 22CCM brass with 3 loads on it now and no problems.
    Got a few of the 17CCM head stamped brass opened up to 22 also and no problems with them either. This was fired brass when I got it, they came with the RCBS dies.

Albert
    Life Member NRA
    Navy Submarine Veteran

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    This is one I need to get back to. Was always a great time loading those tiny cases and my OTT barrel never disappointed! I did take that barrel back to pistol configuration and picked up a 10" factory barrel rechamber if i haven't already posted that above) that should make a good walking varmint/small game getter. Wink

mike

Picture of Mike-Sid
    posted Hide Post
    I shot mine today! I love this cartridge. I'll post more after I evaluate my groups . I only wish I was able to varmint hunt. I have no place here in CT.

Picture of Mike-Sid
    posted Hide Post
    The 36gr Varmint grenades tumble out of my barrel. Mad I forgot to mention that.
    Today I shot some groups at 50 yards. I loaded W296 from 6.8 to 7.3 grains with 33 grain green tipped bullets (I bought them repackaged and they were labeled Remington) I had the best groups in the 7.1 and 7.2 grains. I'm going to load more and see how they shoot next weekend.

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    The 36gr Varmint grenades tumble out of my barrel. Mad
    Your barrel a 1-16?

mike

Picture of Mike-Sid
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    The 36gr Varmint grenades tumble out of my barrel. Mad
    Your barrel a 1-16?

1-12" the the 33g Rem green ballistic tips shoot great, but the 36gr varmint grenades definitely tumble. I guess it has to due with the length?

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    My barrel is a 1-12" too and it shoots them great! That's something...

mike

Picture of Mike-Sid
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    My barrel is a 1-12" too and it shoots them great! That's something...

That is strange, I wonder why they tumble in my barrel? My barrel is 10"

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    That's what I was wondering above. Granted my barrel is 14" long vs. 10" but the faster twist should stabilize them. Have you attempted to chrono them?

mike

Picture of Mike-Sid
    posted Hide Post
    No, not yet. I kinda gave up on them. I'll reload some more and chrono them. Do you have a suggested starting load & velocity to shoot for?

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    Check my data above in the charts, I believe 7.3 of H110 gave 2015fps from my 14" barrel, which seems a little slow, and I've noted the accuracy results. I've loaded a bunch of those but have yet to try them on varmints. From what I've read about that bullet, results should be fairly spectacular. Need to get that barrel threaded and get it out this spring. Wink

mike

Picture of Mike-Sid
    posted Hide Post
    CORRECTION MY BARREL IS 1 in 14" twist

So I messed up, what bullet weight range wold you think is best?

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    I think it's going to be more "what bullet length" will your barrel like. With the slower twist, you'll likely have to stick to the stubby bullets. There is a bunch of them out there and most are sub 40 grain...

mike

Picture of Mike-Sid
    posted Hide Post
    Seems like I'm having good results with 7.0 grains W296, 40 grain Honardy Vmax..... until my hammer spring broke ohboy I was going to try 7.1 and 7.2 grains of W296 next, but I expect similar results.
    I'll load up more of the 33 grain Remington green tips, since they shot good also.
    I'm dreaming of a prairie dog hunt, this would be my closer range gun/load, and next I'll work on loads for my .221 Remington 700. My .221 XP100 seems to shoot anything great. My only problem is that there are no prairie dogs in CT. furious Confused

posted Hide Post
    I just ran across this thread looking for AA#5 22 CCM Load info with maybe 30 grain bullets. This is a load I was considering years ago (along with PP that I see here). A lot if great info here. Thanks, it’s great to read through all of it.

I shoot the 22 CCM in a contender pistol. I also have a Cooper single shot rifle that has three switch barrels, the 22, a 17 CCM and a short CCM a little longer than the 17 HM2.

Posts: 20 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: July 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Wheel Man
    posted Hide Post
    Haven't been here for quite a while... but finding your work on the 22 CCM interesting... I got interested several years ago ( during one of the 22 rimfire shortages ) & started out playing with the 22 Velo-dog... I converted a 4" Stainless Taurus Tracker 8 shot 22 Magnum to centerfire, & ended up lathe turning some 4140 & 303 stainless cases... now several years later, I got reconnected with the 22 CCM, noting how close it was to my lathe turned cases... I now have 50 new 22 CCM cases coming to play with, to see how they'll work in my revolver, if things go well, I'll be converting a Ruger Single 6 to the CCM... I also have a buddy that can make me a Contender barrel...

a couple questions I have from the thread, that I didn't notice reading through it ( sorry, if it was out there, & I missed it )

did you get any cracked cases with shooting the 22 Magnum in your CCM Contender barrel???

have you done any velocity checks out of the ( I think ) 14" barrel???

also have you tried any cast bullets??? I have a couple special molds for small reloadable 22's that I'm hoping one will work well in the revolvers...

centerfire converted revolver...

Some lathe turned cases, & cast bullets...

In life... you either make dust, or eat dust...

Posts: 186 | Location: southern MN | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
    posted Hide Post
    REALLY need to get this barrel out and do some work with it. Such a fun round to work with and accuracy had been fantastic. Anyone else working with it? Love to have a carbine barrel in the cartridge...

mike