Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

CLICK HERE for Subscriptions    Specialty Pistols    Specialty Pistols Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting Log's    375 JDJ Encore Pistol Diary
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 JDJ Encore Pistol Diary Login/Join 

posted
Im currently in the midst of a love/hate relationship with this barrel and thought Id just keep a running account of my exploits with it. Hopefully by the coming hunting season I can add in some blood to the stories.

Ive had it for a while now but only had it to the range twice, I'll recap those now and add as it progresses...

Day 1:
No reloads yet, still waiting on dies to come from Redding. Had 2 boxes of old factory ammo from dads exploits with the JDJ about 5 years ago.

First 5 shots to sight in scope, holding on for dear life, I squeeze them off. Huh! not so bad, I can handle this thing (previous biggest handgun Ive shot was a hot 357 mag)

Get it sighted in, and now to shoot for groups, 5 shots here, 5 shots there, nothing I cant handle. Until I realize that the reason its not feeling like much and my groups are opening up is because I cant feel my hand, at all.

Its then that I realize my stupid self left the laminate grip on, switch to pachmayr grips and things are better for rest of day.

Looking good so far.

Day 2
Got some 250gr Sierras loaded with a stout charge of H4895 per my estimations from load data.

40 of them to be exact.

Pachmayrs? Check.
Shooting gloves? Check.

First 3 shots are clover leafed at 100yds, Im now thinking I have my deer/pig/elk killer in hand and ready for upcoming seasons.

2 more shots...close but not touching first 3.

Move to new bullseye for next group...fair but not like first. Hand stinging at this point.

New target, ready to go, and shoot!

5 more shots, opened up even more, hand burning now.

this goes on with groups opening with each 5 shot trial, until my last 5, which Im still not sure where the hell they went, didnt hit my 32x32 target board AT ALL, and not to mention Im flinching like a school girl in a thunderstorm with my hand in between bouts of numbness and a cold burning sensation.

Get home to find 2 base screws broken/GONE and the inability for me to even dry fire this thing without flinching... Ive ruined my seasoned form and my old shooting coach would kill me if he knew...

The Future of my 375 JDJ

I was torn between just shelving the thing until I could find my big boy pants again, selling the stupid thing, or having a brake installed.

I opted for the latter, and as I type it is off having a nice brake installed.

I have also aquired some 200gr and 220 gr bullets to load up as well as a pound of TrailBoss for some load dev. to help my sissyness...

I also am in the process of getting some cast bullets from a couple sources to make this thing cheaper to practice with to rid of this horrid flinch.

More to come when the barrel gets back from the salon.

Posts: 153 | Location: W. KY | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bear Skinner
posted Hide Post
Hope you come out of that ok Yodie. Got a bad case of that myself once with some horrible Scope Eye nuts Got my bell rung and lost some blood. Took me awhile to get back on track. But you'll get over soon enough. Did I mention I hunt mostly with pistols now. laugh

Posts: 2277 | Location: East Coast, NC | Registered: December 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The funny thing is that my brain is super conditioned to not that I am shooting a handgun, that Im shooting a big boomer, its conditioned to the feel of the pachmayr grips. When I shoot my 223 barrel with laminate grip, no flicnh. I put the pachy grip on the 223, flinch like crazy.

Im kinda wacky I guess....

Posts: 153 | Location: W. KY | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Crubear
posted Hide Post
You're having so much fun I'm looking for a pistol barrel to try it out....
Really, really hate reading about people shooting Encores ;-)

Posts: 527 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: October 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Too bad you traded yours away then huh? Im having fun with it, its costing me money, but its fun nonetheless.

Hows the .243 Barrel treatin ya?

Picture of Bear Skinner
posted Hide Post
Yep, I remember being like that with my first 44 mag and especially after watching Dirty Harry. My name back then should have been Mr. Flinch. But then something snapped after about 500 rounds and my bravery grew 3 times bigger one day. Wait this is starting to sound like a different story. Any way sometimes I still flinch a little especially if I'm not feeling well or have a cold or something. (Yeh, thats it.) But at least now a days I'm not ending up with a barrel full of dirt when the hammer falls on an empty or spent round. Ahh, shooting is such a sweet game of phsych.

Oh if you want to feel even more like a man, watch the ladies shoot. When they fall on empty chambers or have dud spuds. "They don't flinch!" It amazes me. My friends wife, we call her Camp Carbine Nora because she'll unload a mag to the last click and never flinch. Shes just got that killer instinct I reckon.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bear Skinner,

Posts: 2277 | Location: East Coast, NC | Registered: December 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Day 3

Well, my barrel came back last week from having CrowMag install his brake on it.
Got a chance today to slip off to the range by myself, which was a welcome suprise.

Took the chrono with me this time as I was finally going to get my .223 loads measured and found some pretty interesting stuff out, but this is about my JDJ, so I'll not diverge from the topic at hand.

First shot with new Brake installed. Decided I should test it with the biggest and baddest I had with me, which happened to be 5 rounds pulled from a load ladder using the 250gr Sierra GameKing and VERY stout loads of H4895, Im talking stout, the bottom of the ladder was higher than max published loads. So I fired one round from the bottom of the ladder, not even aimed at my target really... BANG! hmm...the gun didnt lift the bipod off the bench as much as my .223 barrel, and I can still feel my hands...not too shabby. So I go to the next one up after seeing no signs of excessive pressure and continue to do so until I'm to the point that I couldnt load any more powder in this brass if I wanted to! And still no signs of overpressure and I can feel my hands still!!!

No matter what happened after this, my day was a success and nothing could bring me down.

Good thing too...

About 30 minutes later I shot my through my Chronograph skyscreen bases. No, not the space above them...THROUGH them....

OUCH.

But, it only broke plastic and the chrono still reads what I believe to be seemingly accurately, at least enough for me.

I had about 95 rounds of JDJ loaded up and shot through them all after bouncing between barresl to allow the big boy to cool a little.

Trail Boss was dissapointing, tried the 200 gr Sierra behind: 7,8,9,10,11,12,13,and 15 grs of TB, 3 of each. No powder charge would shoot 3 bullets at 50 yards that the holes would touch each other.

This gun is capable of better, and it showed me that. I have several 3 shot groups using the 250 GameKing that are barely discernable the there was 3 bullets fired, thats what iwas looking for.

The 225 Hornadys didnt do bad, but so far nothing has shot as well as the 250Gr GK's, I think this will be my go to huntin bullet when the fall rolls around.

That is, unles the 250 gr RCBS GC cast bullets on there way here from Montan Bullet Works do well for me.

My only dissapointment of the day was I was not able to get the velocity from this bad boy I was hoping for. And strangely the 250gr bullets were moving faster then the 225's with the same powder charge behind them...

Thats all for now.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the log!!! popcorn munch happy

I took out my 17.5 Encore in 375 JDJ last weekend and shot a few volleys of 250 Sierras over H4895. Using the loading notes we discussed I shot three times and had a ragged hole at 100 yards. devil

My next trial is going to involve Lyman’s 264 bullet mold. We will see how that one pans out… Hi

------------------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1522 | Location: Texas!! | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Went out again today.

Have very little to report on my 375 JDJ progress as the 3rd shot out the gate I stripped out a forend screw.....

I do, consequently have about 40 rounds loaded of the RCBS 250 gr FNGC cast bullets from Montana Bullet works...that was supposed to be todays excursion...it was ultimately cut short...

TC Tex, when you get to something accurate in that cast bullet, let me know what powder/charge, Id be interested to compare to what I have loaded for mine.

Picture of Contender mike
posted Hide Post
It is 4 years after this post was started but i just want to say thank you for the information. I have followed the same path with my 375 JDJ. And finally last week I sent in off to mag-an-port to have a muzzle brake put on it. I'm hoping to have the same success as you. For the first time I went on a hunt with it I only hade the open sites and shot a buck at 15 years. It hit is neck, which the back side of disappeared. That was shocking. Have only used it one other time due to injuring my wrist from it. Love powerful guns. P.S. sent my 45-70 with the pistol for the same. have shoulder problems but love the gun.

Posts: 1 | Location: Fort myers | Registered: March 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post