Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

CLICK HERE for Subscriptions    Specialty Pistols    Specialty Pistols Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Optics & All The Other Gear    Red Dot sights, your experience?

Moderators: Lone Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Dot sights, your experience? Login/Join 

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted
I'm getting to the point of no longer being able to use iron sights, we'll, at least accurately. While I like Leupold 2x, 4x & even the 2.5-8 scopes on a lot of my guns/contender barrels there's some I'd prefer to have no magnification. That said, I'm a huge fan of the Trijicon RMR and Leupold Deltapoint, just not their price. So, beyond those two, what other red dot sights have you found to be of significant quality to stand up to magnum level recoil that are less expensive. I'm afraid I've ignored all the other brands over the last several years and have no idea what's out there.

Looking forward to your experience with the other red dot sights on the market! Wink

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 18950 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Give these a look...I've got one on my Volquartsen .22LR pistol, my P-220 and my 5.56xi. Last week I took my P-220 to the range for the first time since I got the sight, and shot a one-hole group under an inch from a gun that has previously shot palm sized groups only.

SeeAll Open Sights

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bouddha,

Posts: 279 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ultra dot and the Bushnell TRS have not let me down.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2730 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
I have UltraDots on .44, .475, and .500s. They're all still ticking.

Posts: 1539 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bouddha:
Give these a look...I've got one on my Volquartsen .22LR pistol, my P-220 and my 5.56xi. Last week I took my P-220 to the range for the first time since I got the sight, and shot a one-hole group under an inch from a gun that has previously shot palm sized groups only.

SeeAll Open Sights
That's the second time I've seen someone mention this sight.

The one on your contender, its a MK1?

Just how accurate can these sights be?

mike

Posts: 18950 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have several UltraDots and they have never failed. Several I know use them on heavy kickers without issue. S&W is re-introducing their Model 610 (10mm) and I'll be mounting an UltraDot on it upon arrival.

Posts: 909 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
I have one of the earlier Ultradots on my MGM 460 S&W 15 Encore barrel. It has made it through about 100 rounds of pretty stiff loads. It is still in one piece and bright. This barrel ate two pistol scopes before I went to the Ultradot.

Mike

: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Posts: 2875 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark hampton:
I have several UltraDots and they have never failed. Several I know use them on heavy kickers without issue. S&W is re-introducing their Model 610 (10mm) and I'll be mounting an UltraDot on it upon arrival.
I'm guessing your going with the 6.5" model? I'm debating which barrel length...

mike

posted Hide Post
Mike, I am going with the 6.5" version.

Posts: 909 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Mike, yes that's a Ml I. I like the Mk II version better, as it is lower.

This is a group I shot with my P-220 the first time I tested it with the SeeAll. As I mentioned earlier, previous groups at this range (36 ft) were palm sized at best. I have equalled the Romeo 5 red dot accuracy with this sight on my Volquartsen Target .22LR.

Posts: 279 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike, yes that's a Ml I. I like the Mk II version better, as it is lower.

This is a group I shot with my P-220 the first time I tested it with the SeeAll. As I mentioned earlier, previous groups at this range (36 ft) were palm sized at best. I have equalled the Romeo 5 red dot accuracy with this sight on my Volquartsen Target .22LR.
Wink Are you using the triangle or the reticle? I think I'm going to give one a try to see how I like it. I like that it's not magnified nor does it require batteries.

mike

posted Hide Post
I'd recommend the Delta reticle...the other one has distance stadia, but it is too difficult to see thru to use them.

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd recommend the Delta reticle...the other one has distance stadia, but it is too difficult to see thru to use them.
Am hoping, with both eyes open, I'd be able to use it with the additional stadia lines. Ordered a MK2 last night, shipping today (supposedly) so I might have it Saturday. Not sure what to test it on first. I have several barrels and a couple wheelguns that I want to use something like this on.

Also been thinking about getting one of the bushy red dots that jsh mentioned and test them, size by side, for accuracy with my aging eyes. Think I'm going to use 357 mag for the testing. Have some loads that proved accurate in one wheelgun that should make the test interesting.

mike

Picture of snowsnake
posted Hide Post
See you have already ordered a MK2 site but ive gotta mention the Burris Fastfires. Friend had one on a 627-8 S&W Performance Center that was the victim of an overcharge. Blew out the top 3 chambers, severely humped the top strap and blew the sight and mount off. We found the Burris site about 15 yards away in the parking area and the thing still worked.

Posts: 218 | Location: S.W. VA | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Ultra Dot. Have a 30mm one on my SRH 44 that has taken a beating and still going strong.

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4577 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I've now also ordered the Bushnell TRS-25, too. My plan is to test both these units and a Leupold scope on my PC627, and possibly a contender barrel, in 357 mag.

As a aside note for all those recommending the ultra dot. I fully agree. YEARS AGO when I ran a gun shop, the ultra dot was the only red dot we'd recommend due to reliability. Nothing worse than selling someone a sight and then seeing them back a week later with a useless hunk of aluminum...

mike

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
I just killed an ultra dot for the first time. Ultra dot micro. Have no idea what happened. I have used no less than a dozen of them.

———————————————-
Bayside Custom Gunworks
(307) 746-9740
www.baysidecustomgunworks.net

Accuracy is final.

Posts: 3486 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hey Mike
How is the see all sight working out for you?

Posts: 34 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Onebad06vtx:
Hey Mike
How is the see all sight working out for you?
It's here, I did take it out off the box and had a look at it, it's very unique. I do see what someone mentioned about the additional lines on the reticle but will withhold judgement on their lack of viability until I get it out to the range.

The TRS-25 and weaver S&W mount made it also so if i get time this weekend, I'll start working on testing. Got to find the contender barrel and get a mount on it, too. Wink

mike

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I got everything on hand, now if I can just get the time to get to the range with the whole works!

mike

posted Hide Post
Looks like you have the SeeAll mounted on a G2 Derringer. Is that your 357 Magnum barrel?

I am looking forward to your experiences with the SeeAll.

Bob R

Posts: 144 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Viper225:
Looks like you have the SeeAll mounted on a G2 Derringer. Is that your 357 Magnum barrel?

I am looking forward to your experiences with the SeeAll.

Bob R
Yea, think it's 8". Never shot it yet, hopefully soon! Wink I just stuck it on there for the pic, both guns are getting shot with the scope first, then one of the other sights. Plan is, after rough zero, 3 5-shot groups thru each gun/optic. That should give a pretty good idea of what they're capable of, in my hands.

mike

posted Hide Post
I need your bosses phone number!
He needs to give you time off of work so you can review this sight. LOL

Posts: 34 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need your bosses phone number!
He needs to give you time off of work so you can review this sight. LOL
Well, if the weather isn't too bad tomorrow, I might get out with it and get started. Wink

mike

posted Hide Post
Hey Mike
Did you ever get a chance to try out that sight?

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Mike
Did you ever get a chance to try out that sight?
I have not. Sad I hope to in the next few weeks as I'm taking some time off from PRS matches...

mike

posted Hide Post
I just found this post and I too am very interested in these SeeAll sights, almost ordered one last week. I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on it after you get some trigger time. Also, that G2 is beautiful!

Currently I’m using is a TRS-25 on a 10” .22lr contender barrel, it is pretty accurate and quick to get on target. I have a Vortex Strikefire in a low ring mount on a 15” MGM 450 Bushmaster encore barrel that has been great thus far, I’m getting it ready for the thickets this fall chasing deer. I also have a Holosun 403 with the low mount on an 8.5” .44mag Contender barrel that has proven awesome...I’ve got several hundred full house loads under its belt and it’s held zero perfectly.

Chris

Posts: 223 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yal me to Predator_huntin.
I have been waiting since April to find out if this works or not.

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yal me to Predator_huntin.
I have been waiting since April to find out if this works or not.
You come on over here and do my day job for me and I'll get it done this week! Razz

mike

posted Hide Post
I’m going to order one of the MkI models soon I think...

Chris

Posts: 223 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I ordered one of the TRS 25 to try on a 357 barrel. Have scopes on all my other barrels. Been wondering how they would work out.

Posts: 606 | Location: Ga. | Registered: January 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
While my TRS-25 is only on a 10” 22lr, it has been a great little red dot for me.

Chris

posted Hide Post
I ordered a SeeAll MkI sight tonight, hopefully can report my thoughts on it soon

Chris

Picture of Olrustyencore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Predator_huntin:
I ordered a SeeAll MkI sight tonight, hopefully can report my thoughts on it soon

It’ll be interesting to hear your thoughts on this. Somehow I missed this post and this is the first time I’ve seen these.

Rusty

Posts: 233 | Location: Kentucky  | Registered: August 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
From the reviews I’ve read on them, they seem to work better on rifles where the sight is closer to your eye...the magnification of the reticle gets pretty large on a pistol where the sight would sit further away from your eye. But I’m going to try it on both and post a review on here. Healing from my surgery so I should be able to hit the range at the end of this week...I’ve got lots of practice to get back on top of for this falls deer season. I’m only taking pistols to the woods this year so my rifles will get lonely LOL

Chris

Picture of moe
posted Hide Post
You guys got me all excited and I ordered a TRS-25 for my 327 Contender. Should be here today. Giddyup!

Posts: 1923 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
I trashed two pistol scopes on my new Encore. One Simmons and one Bushnell.
I decided to try a Red Dot. Got the Red Dot, and ordered an extra set of rings. It has three rings on it now after I took the photo.
Put this on my .460 S&W Encore by MGM. So far, it is still working and I have shot some pretty good groups at 50 & 100 yds with it. I'm shooting the Barnes XPB 200grn bullet with a good charge of H110. Pretty snappy but shoots nice and flat.
Mike

: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Posts: 2875 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Mike,

Is that an UltraDot? A buddy of mine had one on a 44 mag redhawk anf it lasted for many years. Those have a great reputation for big kickers.

In other news, I got my SeeAll sight in the mail today. Hope to try it out soon as I can get back to the range

Chris

Picture of moe
posted Hide Post
Put the TRS on my 7" 327 barrel and shot it today. My first experience with one. After a few adjusts it was awesome in the Az afternoon sun! Looks good on the little TC instead of a scope. Giddyup

Posts: 1923 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Moe, finally picked up a TRS-25 for my 6.5" 22LR TC. Fun and accurate little package. I may cut the base down to match the red dot and have a little cleaner look.

Posts: 3021 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Wow, thats awesome shooting, especially for a red dot! Ant plans to hunt or shoot competition with it?

mike

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Mike I may use it on a rabbit or squirrel. This is my fourth TRS-25 and the first of the newer production. Seems to works just as good as the older models except I believe the brightness selector knob is a lot stiff than my others.

Posts: 3021 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of moe
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's how mine looks too! Good idea to cut down the base.

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Shortened the scope base to match the TRS-25.

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitemann:
Shortened the scope base to match the TRS-25.
Looks great, I like it. I did the same thing years ago with some red dot, can't remember the project though. Sad

mike

Picture of moe
posted Hide Post
Looks good Rick!