Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: Lone Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lab Radar Login/Join 

Picture of Duffy
posted
Anyone have one? Played with one? Thoughts? Not cheap I know but looks like a complete setup in a small package without lighting problems. TIA.

------------------------------

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4605 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
I’ve had mine for 6 months, it is a wonderful instrument. I used an Oehler 33 for almost 30 years, but the Labradar eliminates several of the old Oehler’s shortcomings and adds convenience:

No missed readings due to poor lighting
No time consuming down range setup
No damage due to shooting screens (never did that, but...)
No need to calculate actual muzzle velocity
Measures down range ballistics
All data stored on an SD card for easy manipulation on a PC

Once I learned to use it - not tough - there have been no missed readings. It works great on indoor ranges and outdoors, slow handguns to my .257 Weatherby and .22-250. A few tips:

Get a cheap SD card for it, the internal memory is good but the card is more convenient.
Get an auxiliary battery pack, I got a 10,000 mAh pack off Amazon for $20. It lasts several trips to the range, plus I can use it to power my phone or pad.

The Labradar isn’t cheap, but it’s the best firearm accessiry I’ve purchased in a decade.

Posts: 749 | Location: Valley of the Sun | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Love mine!

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
SEB Coaxial Front Rest - Dealer
http://sebrests-usa.com/
http://bulletin.accurateshoote...ld-test-by-sam-hall/
SP's by Mac's Gunworks, H-S Precision, Holland's, Aaron Alexander, Chris Rhodes, & Nine Run Gun

Posts: 11817 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawcarver
posted Hide Post
I prefer my magnetospeed. Seen several issues with lab radars

Posts: 930 | Location: Howell MI | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sawcarver:
I'm going to second this. I got the V3 and couldn't be happier! It just flat works and I've had several different chrono's so I know all about their issues.

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19208 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sawcarver:

Care to elaborate? I'm looking at getting a new chronograph of some sort and the top contenders are Labradar and Magnetospeed.

I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity.
General Robert E. Lee

Posts: 1775 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: March 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It won’t work well on 17’s and 20’s and some fast 22 loads.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was G1!

Posts: 2811 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
I like my Labradar a lot, couple things I had to do though to get to that point was to glue a small piece of tubing on top to help with aiming it down range, the second was to buy an external battery for using it for long shooting periods. It's so easy to setup that I use it all the time when working up loads plus it doesn't affect the accuracy of the gun.
It has no problems picking up 50 grain 22 caliber bullets running over 4200 fps but haven't used it on smaller bullets.

Glenn

“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3484 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawcarver
posted Hide Post
Like it was mentoned 17s and 20s forget about it. They miss alot of shots and customer service is very poor. Seems hit and miss some guys have flawless units and some guys fight them continusly. I have experiance with two and the both were junk. After fighting them for a couple of hours pulled out the magnetospeed and got the info we needed.

Heres some more guys who have had issues

https://www.longrangeonly.com/...er-all-lr-down.6091/

Posts: 930 | Location: Howell MI | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Here is what I see...I own one of each chrono.

Lab radar. Once set up, which with some units seems to be a problem, they work awesome and give very good data. Does not work with sub caliber bullets.

Magneto speed. Can’t leave it attached when working up the load (unless you use a pic rail adapter from the stock) since it changes harmonics. Not practical on traditional handguns. But a very accurate and absolutely the most simple to operate unit.

I gave up on both and still use sky screens since they work with everything....as long as the lighting isn’t a problem. Set up stinks....

———————————————-
Bayside Custom Gunworks
(307) 746-9740
www.baysidecustomgunworks.net

Accuracy is final.

Posts: 3595 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Magneto speed. Can’t leave it attached when working up the load
This is counter to my experience across several platforms, semi autos, bolts, single shots, e.t.c..., with or without a suppressor. Granted, I mostly use a fairly light weight can, but I'm not seeing any poi shift with the ms on or off. Group sizes do not seem to improve much, if at all, once removed. While I do check poi after running the ms, I've yet to have to make an adjustment to compensate for it. It's become a constant range companion when working loads or just getting real world data in different conditions.

For wheelguns & semi auto pistols, I'm going to try mounting the ms in my death grip and rest the frame of the revolver or dust cover of the pistol on the base of the ms. I might have to turn up the sensitivity but I think it'll work based on my experience with the unit so far. Wink

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19208 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
I have had problems with my lab radar. It will read at times but most of the time is says unable to read projectile or something like that. I thought it was because of the muzzle break. I don't know. Its has been frustrating. I also have cheap wireless shoot through unit that sends data to my phone and also reports through the phones speaker. I am a sucker for tech stuff and want the lab radar to work but i'm about out of patience with it.
Derek >>>--------->

Posts: 726 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
What are your exact settings for the following?

Velocity range
Projectile offset
Set distances
Trigger source
Trigger level

Are you holding the muzzle in the position shown in the user manual? This can be critical with brakes, what are you shooting? One of the more common reasons for getting a failure to read error is using the wrong velocity range. Most (but not all) issues have been due to operator programming or use error. Let us help.

Posts: 749 | Location: Valley of the Sun | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Lonestar,
I'm sure I must be doing something wrong. Although I have tried just about everything. I would have to look at my settings. Its been a bit since I tried to use it.
All SP's. Most with breaks. Calibers from 20 Vartarg through 7 Dakota. The only other gun I have tried is a Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creed. It worked most of the time.
Derek

Posts: 726 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
So do the problems only exist when shooting at longer ranges and trying to capture the vel at different points to the target or at any distance? I mostly test fps and accuracy at 25 yards for short handguns and 50-100 for longer range stuff. Right now I'm still using my CED unit with the IR screens but it's a PITA to set up and get lined up if a guy wants to just test a few. Also have an old F1 Chrony but you know how they can be....

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4605 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
quote:
So do the problems only exist when shooting at longer ranges and trying to capture the vel at different points to the target or at any distance?...

Since I have had no problems (not associated with new-owner error) I really can’t answer. I do know that if I follow the instructions I have perfect results at indoor ranges at 12.5 and 25 yards and at outdoor ranges out to 100 yards (as far as I’ve tested). I get velocity readings out to - or past - the target distance. No problems tracking my .22-250 or .257 Weatherbys at over 3600 fps, nor with my .50-70 at under 600 fps. The thing is so easy to set up and tear down compared to a down-range chronograph, works in the dark, can’t be shot by accident, it’s great.

To me the only down sides are first the cost, and second you do need to learn to program it correctly. The written instructions are okay, but there are many YouTube videos that are very helpful. I guess it’s not for everyone, especially if they aren’t willing to learn something new.

I’m still very willing to help Arrowflinger if he wants it....

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lonestar I would appreciate it.
I am going to try and get out this weekend and try it again.
I am having problems getting the unit to read. It shows error
I am shooting XP's ranging from 22 cal to 7mm all with breaks. Most have Holland radials ( 90 deg exhaust horizonal blast ) A couple have Vias ( 360 exhaust ) and a few have Hellfires ( angles back )
Velocity range Rifle
Projectile offset 18in
Set distances 5,25,50,75,100
Trigger source Doppler
Trigger level 5
I have tried muzzle in front, back and below the unit. I do believe it must be the settings.
Thanks in advance. Derek >>>--------->

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
I see a potential problem. Labradar recommends the “Doppler“ Trigger Source setting for ‘large projectiles traveling at slow speed only’. I’ve always used the “Trigger” source, which uses sound. Unless you have used the sound trigger and that didn’t work, this setting is likely the problem.

Make sure the Tx Power is set to Standard. I use Low indoors only.

I use the 6” or 12” Projectile Offset, but then my handguns aren’t braked other than the low pressure .45-70. The 18” may be best with your brakes, although if the trigger change above doesn’t work you could try 12”.

The Trigger Level you have should work, but try ‘3’ if the above don’t fix the problem.

If the Arm Time is set too long you could miss some shots. I set mine at 10 seconds, the lowest available.

Frankly, the only times I got an error message was when I had the Velocity Range set for Handgun and my actual velocity was in the Rifle range. The change-over velocity is around 1600 fps, but not exactly it seems.

I hope the above helps to solve your issue. If not, report back and we’ll delve deeper. Good luck!

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Lonestar,
We got out shooting on Sunday and the Labradar worked perfectly with all calibers shot. 22,243,25 No issues unless I was mis-aliened. Thank you for your suggestions and help.
Derek >>>------->

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it functioning well! I love mine.

posted Hide Post
My Pact Chrono just plain won’t work. Sent it back to the factory, they said it was fine, but when I got it back and tried it, it was hit and miss at best. Sometimes it would read for a while and then quit for no reason.

the Chrony seemed to work fine if the light was right, still got a lot of missed shots. (At least in the end, it had an excuse to quit working, after many years of use, I shot low)

Once I got the Magnetspeed height set right, very few misreads. I really like it and recommend it. One caveat, keep checking the tension and bring a Barrel shim to get the unit square with the bore.

I would love to have had a LabRadar but the costs were just more than I wanted to spend at this point in my life.

Posts: 1748 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: March 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rugershooter:
My Pact Chrono just plain won’t work. Sent it back to the factory, they said it was fine, but when I got it back and tried it, it was hit and miss at best. Sometimes it would read for a while and then quit for no reason.

My PACT worked fine for several years then just quit one day. I sent it in for repair under the "lifetime warranty" what a joke. They wanted to sell me a new unit at a discount. I told them I wanted my unit fixed and they never returned it, this has been several years ago now and I don't expect to ever get it back at this point.

I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity.
General Robert E. Lee

Posts: 1775 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: March 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post