MOA Maximum, WAG/Generalization

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/9940069186

February 26, 2016, 01:45 PM
deepwater
MOA Maximum, WAG/Generalization
Tag-along for Wyshot.

In an MOA Maximum, .308 Win, 15" barrel:

What bullets/weight have worked best for long range?
How far off the lands?

Thanks,

deepwater
February 26, 2016, 03:33 PM
old leghumper
I probably will get some controversy started but here goes. In a rifle the 308 is a 800-900 yard gun for accuracy. When the bullet goes transonic the bullet will be less stable(168 -175 grain bullets). 155's should reach out a little better.

A few years ago a participant used a 308 xp where if the bullets hit the target at 1000 they all tumbled. The best thing to consider for long range is to know the velocity, barrel twist, and use a stability program(such as JBM). It may not get you all the info but it is a good start.

When I started attending the Cold Turkey match I used 6mm 70 grain Nosler ballistic tip. At 1000 the tables indicated the bullet was traveling a little over 1300 fps- well over transonic. Here is where the stabililty came into play. The barrel twist was 1 in12 which did not work at 1000 yards. Accuracy was great at 500 and 750(managed to win the rocks at both distances). At 1000 - oops!. Blamed my spotter for not seeing my few hits and many misses(sorry about that Steve).

Back to your concern - your 308 will work up to a point.

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.
February 26, 2016, 03:55 PM
Ernie
Twist and bullet choice are huge as mentioned.
In 1K F-TR where the X-Ring is 5" and the 10 Ring is 10" shooter are now shooting 15-20 round groups with a 308 Winchester (using pits, so it is not quick shooting between shots) and some of the better shooter are shooting clean with good X-Ring counts and even others are scoring as high as the F-Open shooters who can use basically any cartridge.
Plus, the TR guys are shooting off of a bi-pod while the Open guys can use a front rest like the NEO.
That being said, a 308 Win is not the best choice to be competitive at the MOA shoot with any bullet or any twist.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22
February 26, 2016, 05:26 PM
deepwater
I know that the .308 win is not competitive at LR, especially in an SP. I thought that I may bring it for show & tell, if for nothing else than to let people shoot it.

I am thinking less expensive bullets as it will not realize the advantages of Bergers. Maybe 165 gr. for speed, 175 gr. for BC.

With that, what weight bullet?

deepwater
February 26, 2016, 11:54 PM
Ernie
quote:
Originally posted by deepwater:
I know that the .308 win is not competitive at LR, especially in an SP. I thought that I may bring it for show & tell, if for nothing else than to let people shoot it.

I am thinking less expensive bullets as it will not realize the advantages of Bergers. Maybe 165 gr. for speed, 175 gr. for BC.
With that, what weight bullet?
deepwater

168 A-Max is a good compromise for a 308 Win SP.
It is what I use for an all around bullet.
Good at distance too.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22
February 27, 2016, 01:19 AM
deepwater
Thanks