Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caliber Choice for XP-100 Login/Join 

posted
So I just had a custom made XP put together in .223 and I absolutely love it. It seems like no matter what ammo you shoot it does awesome. So I am wanting to build up another one but I'm not sure what caliber I want to go with. My main job for this pistol will be deer hunting. Our law states that in a pistol we must use a bullet with a diameter of at least .243 inches, so I have a pretty over book as far as that goes. Something that I am looking for is a big bullet with low recoil. I don't want something that stomps me because I want this to be accurate. I also don't want anything to wild as far as getting brass and that kind of stuff. I do reload but don't reload any big caliber so I will be starting a new reloading project no matter what I go with. I was thinking something along the lines of a 7mm BR but I am unfamiliar with it and what other options I have here. Let me know what you guys are thinking.

Posts: 311 | Location: Indiana | Registered: October 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
243 Winchester, 6mm Creed, 6XC, 6 Dasher (fast twist 7.5-8T to use the heavier bullets if so desired), 260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12187 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
The 7mm BR would be a good choice, easy to load for and accurate, brass can be hard to get but you can always neck up 6BR brass. The 243, 250 Savage, 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Remington, and 7-08 would be good choices with factory ammo and brass available. ( the Creedmoor is my favorite Big Grin ) I'm sure there are a lot of other good choices, add a muzzle brake and the choices gets much larger and easy on the recoil.

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3517 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
How far is your average deer in your state, we are limited to two bottleneck cartridge 300 blackout and 30 bellm. I have learned to love the blackout, 200 yards capability, brass is always available. Unlimited bullet choices, and light recoil.

J.

Posts: 526 | Location: Illinois  | Registered: September 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
6MM BR with a brake. Deadly accurate. Big Grin

Posts: 384 | Location: Northern California | Registered: March 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
Ditto on ernies suggestions and Tgp

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
260 6.5 Creedmore 7-08 .308 all easy to get components and factory ammo for. Add a good brake and minimun recoil with all.

Posts: 399 | Location: bourbon capitol KY. | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Like Ernie said 243 or 6 XC with a brake very low recoil

Posts: 495 | Location: Maryland  | Registered: October 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Well Ernie would be the expert when it comes to this, but I will put in 6 Dasher also. If you reload and 6.5 Creedmoor if you want to look at factory ammo. Good luck let us know what you decide.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Holland Radial Baffle Brake

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12187 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 7fingers
posted Hide Post
I like the 6x47 Lapua better than the 6XC I have built both and the 6x47 seemed to outperform the XC slightly in my opinion however they both shot very well.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ohio | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
410shooter,
How far do you see shooting with this rig?
Knowing some more of your parameters will help with caliber suggestions Big Grin

-Mike

Posts: 2293 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 7fingers
posted Hide Post
The 6XC and the 6x47 are both accurate out to 1000 yards. I hit a 12"x12" steel plate at 1 mile with my 6x47 at Thunder Valley earlier this year.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ohio | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of captain John
posted Hide Post
Love my 6 Dasher

IHMSA Industry Director
IHMSA Region 5 Director
Minnesota State IHMSA Director
IHMSA 39199Life
NRA life Member

Posts: 418 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Zero case forming, other than standard sizing/reloading procedures, would be more appropriate for the OP.

deepwater

Posts: 238 | Location: Virginia | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 44MAG
posted Hide Post
I have had extremely great luck with the 7BR in the XP. Putting together my XP from parts and only minimal bench testing it performed exceptionally well at the steel silhouette game. Put the scope on it and never looked back. I enjoy its accuracy and the recoil is modest and just fun to shoot. Not sure how far of shooting you plan for your deer but I would consider it. I have had no problem finding brass for it ya just ask around and someone has some to sell and reloading info is out there. I first was hooked on the 7BR with a TC Encore 15 barrel and it too is a straight accurate shooter with open sights. Keeping them both thumbup

Posts: 144 | Location: WA | Registered: April 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
I also have a 7BR made for the silhouette game. I put a 3x12 Burris scope on it. Very accurate and this past deer season I used a 140gr. bullet to take a nice blacktail buck at 176 yards. I'm looking forward to working with my new .284win. but don't overlook that 7BR. Mild recoil. Easy to load for. And very accurate.
Derek >>>--------->

Posts: 910 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Have you consider the 6.5 grendel, it is really similar to the 7 br and brass is readily available.

Posts: 526 | Location: Illinois  | Registered: September 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
One I haven't seen listed yet is the 6.5x47 lapua. The ones I've built shoot very well. Very mild recoil. Great brass thats really stout.

Aaron

Posts: 2756 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
I like my Custom Shop XP100 in 7-08. You can shoot 120's all day with Varget. When you want to go a little farther I use the 140's and Varget. This pistol came from Remington when they were still making XP's out of their Custom Shop. It has wood stock, with break and heavy tapered barrel. Not too heavy. I use a Burris 3x12 BP scope. I have punched a lot of paper with it using 120 Ballistic Tips and Pro Hunter bullets from Sierra. I have also taken antelope, deer and pigs with the 140's in Ballistic Tips, Berger and it really likes the Sierra Game King bullets I buy bulk, (Seconds-discolored) from the factory at Sierra.
Good luck and have fun.

Mike

---------------------------------
: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Posts: 3081 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
410shooter, If you're interested in a custom XP in .308 Win. -- let me know.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
After reading all of the post I think I'm going to go with a 7mm-08. I feel that is going to give me a little bit more punch then a 7mm BR but not have the recoil of a full .308. I think I will be able to get brass even if I have to neck down .308 I will still be able to get it pretty easy. Also I'll go with a muzzle break and I think it will do what I need. Thanks again!!!

Posts: 311 | Location: Indiana | Registered: October 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
6BR with a brake and an 8 twist barrel.

An analog guy in a digital world

Posts: 49 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post