Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 & 223 Questions Login/Join 

posted
I'm gradually getting all my parts together for my first speciality pistol. It will be a rear grip 20 Vartarg with a remage barrel.

The second barrel I'm looking at is a 243, not AI, just plain 243. Should I run low on ammo, this is easier to find in a local store.

I haven't really decided yet on which bullet I'll load for it, but was thinking in the 85 to 100 gr class with a 16/17" barrel with an 8 twist and a muzzle brake.

I've been doing a lot of reading on the 243 and barrel life. A lot of loaders are recommending a heavier bullet and slower burning powder to keep the barrel heat down. I'm looking at the heavier bullets I mentioned to help buck the wind a little better.

My second choice on calibers is the 223. Again, I would look at heavier bullets, 75 to 95 gr, with a 16/17" barrel with a 7 twist and muzzle brake.

My type of shooting for either new caliber would be paper, steel, sage rats and prairie dogs. I've never shot past 400 yards (+-), but would be willing to give it a try.

Those of you shooting these calibers, are you using a slow burning powder and heavier bullet or fast burning powder and a lighter bullet?

What combination have you found best?

Posts: 161 | Location: Clarksville, TN | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of J A
posted Hide Post
You might look at the 25-45 Sharps to split the difference. Once it's freed from the OAL constraints of the AR platform, heavier bullets and slightly more case capacity make it very attractive.
I don't think it'll give you the velocity of the 243 with most bullets, but it's definitely a big jump over the 223 in terms of take-down capability.

Posts: 2587 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: March 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'll look into that.

Is this an accurate caliber?

Posts: 161 | Location: Clarksville, TN | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Dekker
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI; If you are using a Rem. XP you will need another bolt, as the bolt face on the .223 and 243 are different.

Posts: 2349 | Location: Illinois / USA | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of J A
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K9TXS:
I'll look into that.

Is this an accurate caliber?

Seems to be. I don't have mine yet but I've got a Contender barrel in the works. It's a 223 case necked up so, as mentioned, your bolt face will determine which way to go. If you've got the boltface for the 308-based cases, you may be better off sticking with 243.

Posts: 2587 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: March 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Bolt face is no issue, I have two bolts for the action. It is not the XP action, just standard Rem 700 SA, LH

posted Hide Post
I would be more inclined to look at the line of TCU cartridges than the 25-45. All ready proven performers, and we have a pretty good bunch of gents here with a lot of experience with all of them on steel,paper and critters.
Don’t get me wrong on the 25, as I am a 25-06 fan, bullet selections is not the greatest.

The 6mm/24Nosler May be worth a look.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was a G One!

Posts: 3022 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The 243 is a fine round and will go a lot father than you might think. I use H100v at the suggestion of Doc the WV Hit Man with 105s and 107s. You might want to consider the 6 Creedmoor as it has a different shoulder angle and longer neck than the 243. Its pretty popular right now so loaded ammo is fairly easy to find.

Posts: 1600 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of J A
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsh:
I would be more inclined to look at the line of TCU cartridges than the 25-45. All ready proven performers, and we have a pretty good bunch of gents here with a lot of experience with all of them on steel,paper and critters.
Don’t get me wrong on the 25, as I am a 25-06 fan, bullet selections is not the greatest.

The 6mm/24Nosler May be worth a look.

True that the TCUs are more established but the 25TCU is a rare bird and the 25-45 is functionally identical to that one. Only real difference is that the TCU cases are just slightly less tapered and with a crisper shoulder but case capacity is very nearly identical.
The advantage of the 25-45 is that there is availability (though not widely distributed) of factory ammo. Also, since the shoulder and datum line are the same as the 223, none of the fire-forming tricks employed with the TCUs is necessary...just run new 223 brass into the die, load full power and shoot. There is properly headstamped brass for the 25-45, also, for those who appreciate that particular aesthetic. Smile

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
The TCUs are a little puny for things bigger and pdogs/chucks at long range.
I have a 6mm AI (.243 on steroids). Bullet selection is great. I used 70 gr.BTs on groundhogs, pdogs, rockchucks. Used 85 gr. NPTs on a monster javelina at 177, and several very large whitetails from 250-400. Both the 400s dropped.
.243 should be everything you need up to deer. More versatile than smaller calibers.
Hybrid V-100 is a great powder that meters well.

Posts: 1852 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of J A
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WV Hitman:
The TCUs are a little puny for things bigger and pdogs/chucks at long range.
I have a 6mm AI (.243 on steroids). Bullet selection is great. I used 70 gr.BTs on groundhogs, pdogs, rockchucks. Used 85 gr. NPTs on a monster javelina at 177, and several very large whitetails from 250-400. Both the 400s dropped.
.243 should be everything you need up to deer. More versatile than smaller calibers.
Hybrid V-100 is a great powder that meters well.

I have to agree. I like the TCUs, etc because it's about the top end of Contender capabilities but in a platform that'll take more pressure, I'd definitely be looking at 308 cases or the Creedmore, 6 Rem, 257 Roberts AI...lot's of good stuff to choose from once you're into the .473 bolt face and high-pressure action. Smile

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
I had an 8 twist 243 xp built. Like you, i wanted a factory ammo option, if for no other reason, so kids could keep it if wanted after im gone. Second guessing now, i think id done 6br or 6 dasher just because. The kids may likely care less anyway. laugh

I shot it to 400 yards recent. Dont know if ill ever shoot it at any longer range at this point. 3 or 4”(unsure, i didnt walk out and measure) steel was reasonably easy. It was fun.

I dont even have finalized loads yet. The 2 loads i shot were RL15 with sierra 85gr bthp with b.c. Of .311 ish and H4350 with 87gr hornady vmax with b.c. Of .400. The difference didnt matter on steel at 400 yards. Both loads shot good, although not breathtaking. In defense, im not an vast experienced xp/centergrip shooter. It will take me some time to get my shooting style down with it. Experimenting is fun for me all the way around. Bullets, loads, powders, rests etc etc etc. i try to be versatile and try all sorts of things and not whine about i cant do this and i cant do that. Big Grin

Anyway, a 243 is nice. But, there are some other great ones to consider as well, such as the couple previously mentioned, 6BR and 6 dasher and quite a few more.

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9421 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
On the .223...... a buddy has an MGM 223 8” twist encore handgun. Awesome on steel at 400 also. Lot of pluses to the 223 imo. Cheaper to shoot, less powder, abundant brass etc etc.
i can now see how 400 yards is “so easy” to the eggheads......er i mean experts Razz

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9421 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post