Specialty Pistols
XP Makeover

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/9740052886

September 09, 2017, 12:18 PM
Nitemann
XP Makeover
A while back I was talking to nmhunter and he mentioned he had a SS Lilja 223 rem barrel he had taken off of a XP he was getting rebarreled and wanted to know if I was interested in it. I immediately said yes of course then the wheels started turning to what was I going to do with it. I had an old 7TCU that had belonged to a sillywet shooter and was well used. It also had a extremely long throat to work with those long, heavy bullets needed to knock over the steel critters so wasn't the best accuracy wise with 120 gr bullets. I now had my donor action picked out but what cartridge? I have a ton of 223's so that was out of the question. Thought of the 223 A/I, 223WSSM and 22-250 A/I but finally decided on the plain Jane 22-250 since I only has one and it was in a rear grip XP. Dropped the action and the old bent barrel off at a local smith back in June. Got a call Tuesday that it was ready to go, so picked it up and opened the barrel channel on a extra laminated stock I had laying around to fit and mounted a 3 x 12 Burris I had picked up from striaght8 a while back just for the new addition. Hopefully get to give it a test run in the morning if I can get some ammo loaded.

September 09, 2017, 12:25 PM
nmhunter
thumbup
September 09, 2017, 02:19 PM
RICHP
What contour would that barrel be?

---------------
love those .41 mags.
September 09, 2017, 03:07 PM
Nitemann
Rich not 100% sure but I believe it's what Lilja calls their XP 8 contour for XP style short barrels (see link below). It's .750" at the muzzle. I have a XP 15 coming for my new 6.5 creedmoor and McMillan stock which closely matches the Remington varmint contour.

Lilja XP8 contour
September 09, 2017, 03:22 PM
KYODE
Looks nice and cool cartridge.

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA
September 09, 2017, 06:41 PM
Leupold Man
Great looking XP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member
September 10, 2017, 01:59 PM
Nitemann
First 3 shot group at 100yds. I'm happy.

September 10, 2017, 08:22 PM
Freeze
Nitemann,

If you have some available, give Varget a try in that nice looking 22-250.

Not necessarily the highest velocity loads but my 22-250 shoots almost every Varget charge I tried pretty well and some loads were spectacular (by my standards) staying consistently under ½ MOA with most groups falling in the high .3 or low .4 MOA.

The other powder my gun seemed to like well was Benchmark.

-Freeze
September 10, 2017, 10:36 PM
tgp
Looking good except the stock is for the wrong hand Big Grin

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

September 11, 2017, 04:38 PM
rickiesrevenge
quote:
Originally posted by tgp:

Glenn

100% agree!

Aaron
September 12, 2017, 06:55 AM
Shaggy357
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
quote:
Originally posted by tgp:

Glenn

100% agree!

Aaron

I am a lefty, but I could make do. Being ambidextrous does increase the options when it comes to pistols..... Big Grin Never could shoot a rifle left handed tho....just wasn't right. scratch head

Steve Smile
---------------------------------
"Life is a play before an audience of one. When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"
September 30, 2017, 10:19 PM
Roger Davis
Nitemann, nice looking rig you have there. It inspired me to pull out the nice shiny lefty Fajin stock i had in the safe and opened it up to shoot left or right handed. Im in the process of putting a finish on it so it aint so slippery. Roger.

Navy Chief. Retired.