Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

XP Makeover Login/Join 

Picture of Nitemann
posted
A while back I was talking to nmhunter and he mentioned he had a SS Lilja 223 rem barrel he had taken off of a XP he was getting rebarreled and wanted to know if I was interested in it. I immediately said yes of course then the wheels started turning to what was I going to do with it. I had an old 7TCU that had belonged to a sillywet shooter and was well used. It also had a extremely long throat to work with those long, heavy bullets needed to knock over the steel critters so wasn't the best accuracy wise with 120 gr bullets. I now had my donor action picked out but what cartridge? I have a ton of 223's so that was out of the question. Thought of the 223 A/I, 223WSSM and 22-250 A/I but finally decided on the plain Jane 22-250 since I only has one and it was in a rear grip XP. Dropped the action and the old bent barrel off at a local smith back in June. Got a call Tuesday that it was ready to go, so picked it up and opened the barrel channel on a extra laminated stock I had laying around to fit and mounted a 3 x 12 Burris I had picked up from striaght8 a while back just for the new addition. Hopefully get to give it a test run in the morning if I can get some ammo loaded.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
thumbup

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of RICHP
posted Hide Post
What contour would that barrel be?

---------------
love those .41 mags.

Posts: 191 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: November 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Rich not 100% sure but I believe it's what Lilja calls their XP 8 contour for XP style short barrels (see link below). It's .750" at the muzzle. I have a XP 15 coming for my new 6.5 creedmoor and McMillan stock which closely matches the Remington varmint contour.

Lilja XP8 contour

Posts: 3536 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
Looks nice and cool cartridge.

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9432 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Great looking XP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
First 3 shot group at 100yds. I'm happy.

posted Hide Post
Nitemann,

If you have some available, give Varget a try in that nice looking 22-250.

Not necessarily the highest velocity loads but my 22-250 shoots almost every Varget charge I tried pretty well and some loads were spectacular (by my standards) staying consistently under ½ MOA with most groups falling in the high .3 or low .4 MOA.

The other powder my gun seemed to like well was Benchmark.

-Freeze

Posts: 376 | Location: SW PA | Registered: February 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
Looking good except the stock is for the wrong hand Big Grin

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3513 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tgp:

Glenn

100% agree!

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Shaggy357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
quote:
Originally posted by tgp:

Glenn

100% agree!

Aaron

I am a lefty, but I could make do. Being ambidextrous does increase the options when it comes to pistols..... Big Grin Never could shoot a rifle left handed tho....just wasn't right. scratch head

Steve Smile
---------------------------------
"Life is a play before an audience of one. When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"

Posts: 1933 | Location: Washington  | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nitemann, nice looking rig you have there. It inspired me to pull out the nice shiny lefty Fajin stock i had in the safe and opened it up to shoot left or right handed. Im in the process of putting a finish on it so it aint so slippery. Roger.

Navy Chief. Retired.

Posts: 330 | Location: Jacksonville Florida | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post