Specialty Pistols
Long range pistol scope

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/9730061186

December 31, 2015, 05:24 PM
MarkS
Long range pistol scope
I have a striker in 6mm BR, I have a Leupold 2.5 x 8 on it now. I am looking at a Burris 3 x 12 pistol. I would like a scope with target knobs. leupold will add a target knob to the 2.5 x 8, but the burris has more power. The Striker is a center grip, I want to keep it with pistol scope, not a rifle scope. What do you like?

Mark
December 31, 2015, 05:37 PM
semperfi
IMHO you have two of the best pistol scopes available. I also shoot or have had
bushnell and the old bausch& laumb 2-6 and found them very dependable.

My 2cents

SemperFi

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member
December 31, 2015, 06:02 PM
Leupold Man
You can't go wrong with either one of those scopes. I tend to like the Leupold better myself, but have good success with both.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member
December 31, 2015, 06:56 PM
big10
quote:
I would like a scope with target knobs.

I had a Burris with these on it once upon a time.

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...ge-of-2#ReviewHeader

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)
December 31, 2015, 07:25 PM
WV Hitman
Burris 3-12 is #1, especially with the Ballistic Plex. I have around 15. Speaks for itself.
December 31, 2015, 07:44 PM
Rog (Buttermilk421)
I like the Burris 3x-12x.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

December 31, 2015, 08:16 PM
Ernie
3-12

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22
December 31, 2015, 09:03 PM
carpetbroker
I have a Remington XP100R and have a Sightron III 10-10x60 with the dot. My gun weighs 9 lb. The eye relief is fine. (Rem. 260)I had a Burris 12x and it was ok, however my Leupold 9X worked as well. This was on a 7-08 Striker. Burris
has the 12X with hash marks. I bought the one with a duplex and didn't work
for me. Too hard to adjust at different distances. Hope some of this may help.
January 01, 2016, 08:02 PM
Nashcat
I have 8 of the Burris 3-12, and have only had one bad one, which Burris repaired at no charge. My old eye need all the magnification I can get.

Nashcat
January 05, 2016, 08:00 AM
HandCanonShootr
My XP-R is a 6BR. Of you 2 pistol scopes, I have a couple-3 of each. The Burris is as good on the bench as far as accuracy goes. But take that pistol off the bench into the field, and the Leupy is my choice. Burris is not as usable either prone or off hand. My experiances from WY-Shot 2015

My XPR wears a Sightrom Slll 8X32, and while 15-18X is really enough and more usable in the field. Pistol scopes can not do it at the ranges over 300yds, for me (IMHO) the 200yd point is it for the pistol eye-relief scopes. Not that I have not made hits farther (lot less w/EER), just trying to increase the hit probs.

So, put a muzzle brake & a rifle scope on it...

Mike B.
ps my SP made verified hits to 918yds at WY-Shot. Setting up on a plate @ 680y and we were making hits with (almost) boring regularity. Mk19 & myself

----------------------------
Everything in excess!
To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
Moderation is for monks.

-Lazarus Long

To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth—
This was the ancient Law of Youth.
Old times are past, Old days are done:
But the Law runs True, O Little Son!

-Charles T. Davis
January 05, 2016, 06:01 PM
WV Hitman
Handcannon, my experience with the 3-12 Burris is a little different. About 9000 of the 12,800 groundhogs I've taken have been from the prone position with 3-12Xs, and around 2000 of the 2300 deer I've taken have been from prone or sitting with elbows on knees. THis scope is on 15 of my guns.
Eye alignment is critical, but very doable. I've also done a bunch of groundhogs and deer off hand with the 3-12 turned down to 4 to 9X.
I've used this scope so much that I get an instant and perfect picture about every time I use it. Practice and continued use is the key.
January 06, 2016, 05:15 PM
HandCanonShootr
WV, you have taken a few more doggies, and a lot more deer then I, it is that critical eye relief that makes the Burris less then #1 for me. But whatever works, you clearly have your formula down. Gotta wonder what taking off the EER (Leupy/Burris) and rifle-scoping her will do. The rifle scope was better in every way except off hand for me. Shrunk my groups on paper.

Your mileage may vary.
Mike B

----------------------------
Everything in excess!
To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
Moderation is for monks.

-Lazarus Long

To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth—
This was the ancient Law of Youth.
Old times are past, Old days are done:
But the Law runs True, O Little Son!

-Charles T. Davis
January 06, 2016, 09:48 PM
Nosh
I have two Burris handgun scopes in 3x9 and 4x12. Bought them for the adjustable parallax since no one else offered that in a pistol scope. However both are fuzzy around the edges (more that most scopes of equal value)and don't hold zero when you get close to the edge of the adjustment range. I wish Leupold made one with at least 12X and parallax adjustment.
January 14, 2016, 08:27 AM
Left Hand Dave
quote:
Eye alignment is critical

I have one of the Burris and quite a few of the Leupolds. To me the Burris as has already been stated is more critical when it comes to eye alignment. It took me a little longer to get comfortable with that and I still like the Leupold better for that reason. I liked the extra magnification on the Burris for groundhogs but now the people on this site have got me hooked on more expensive rifle scopes for longer range and smaller targets. Both are good scopes. If I were you and sure I was going to stay with a pistol scope I would go have a look through both so you can determine how the difference in eye alignment feels to you. People are different and what bothers one person may not even be a concern for another. If we were all the same there would only be the Leupold or the Burris. Best to look through both so you don't spend your hard earned cash and have buyers remorse.

Dave
January 14, 2016, 09:10 AM
Ernie
I still have one of Wally Siebert's 20x Long Eye Relief pistol scopes. Conversion of the 36x Leupold BR scope.
I would sell this if someone wants high magnification, plus long eye relief.

quote:
Originally posted by MarkS:
I have a striker in 6mm BR, I have a Leupold 2.5 x 8 on it now. I am looking at a Burris 3 x 12 pistol. I would like a scope with target knobs. leupold will add a target knob to the 2.5 x 8, but the burris has more power. The Striker is a center grip, I want to keep it with pistol scope, not a rifle scope. What do you like?

Mark

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22